Dream Design Dig Repeat

Tokul East logging - Flowtron area

I didn't see any signs of logging on Thursday when I rode out there, but Evergreen has been told by Hancock that the logging of the Tokul East upper trails has begun.

Trails affected will be Flowtron, Last Frontier, Tetherball, and the upper parts of OGDH. Glenn is working with Hancock to do what we can to ensure the trails are easier to rebuild once logging is complete.

Trails will be closed while they're being logged. Please use caution and stay away from trails with active logging. Also be aware of logging trucks and maintenance vehicles.

Here is the map of all the areas of Tokul East and West that will be logged in 2012 and 2013. This was provided to Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance from Hancock.
    http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/uploads...-2012-2013.jpg

This is a working forest, logging is to be expected. Hancock is actually being pretty cool about the whole thing and doing what they can to ensure we'll have a decent trail experience when they're done logging.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Can we get a legend or the trails drawn in?

What of Ivan and KGB?
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks like the section below the pump track and KGB will be logged in 2013.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Darn!
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We were on site with Hancock this week and the logging of Tokul East has started in earnest - I'm sure you're hearing it if you're out there in the daylight. They will be closing, signing, and dropping logs across the entrance to trails as they progress - they're not closing trails until they need to so if the trail is closed stay off it for your own safety!

Much/most of the logging will be cable logging so it will help reduce the impact to the trails and they've selected tower locations that will further reduce impact. But, hey it's clear cutting so it will take work to rebuild once they're done which will likely be by the middle to end of April. We did visit another area they recently cut and it was actually pretty encouraging about how much will be required to get the trails reopened. I'm hopeful it will be like a really big windstorm - except it took all the marketable trees away.

The owner of the logging company (like most, Hancock contracts for the actual logging) is a mountain biker who has ridden Tokul for years so everyone is doing the best to help trail users while still recognizing that their business is getting the most revenue for the property owners.

Meanwhile we're still talking about the access pass. We'll have a bit more to say on that front soon.

Glenn
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The lower Tokul East that's been logged...any idea of when can go back in to clear/re-establish those trails?

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm assuming you're talking about the parts that were logged a few months ago, down at the SVT. Not the area being cut now, correct?

If so that is Weyerhauser property, not Hancock, and they have taken a MUCH harder line approach to access. They've marked the entire area "no trespassing" and they say that they intend to keep it closed for 3 - 5 years while the replanted trees have a chance to grow! I'll let you know if we have success with discussions on this area but for me it shows a real contrast - we dont like having to pay for access but Hancock wants to find ways to run their business and provide a recreational asset.

Glenn

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Has last frontier and the other trails been logged yet was hoping to ride there today

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That was the area I was referring to in Lower Tokul East. Weyerhauser does seem to have adopted a bit of a harsh line for lack of their land use, but like you said...it is their land.

Fwiw, I am one of the few mtb'ers that has bought a Hancock permit. Makes sense to show some support towards the private company in allowing us to play on their property. And, I can ride Tokul from my house.

I want to also give big thank you, Glenn, for all the hard work you've been putting in with gain support for continuing trail use of the Tokul area.

Cheers,
    Mike