Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome link for lunch time viewing EB! Loved it. Those crazy Canucks...

One of the most gratifying, humbling, and memorable moments in my mountain biking career was riding sweep on a new, not open to the public yet trail I built around 2005 that many of you here have ridden and upon coming to the end, being met with just clapping from those that rode before me. That one moment has fueled me to build and maintain instead of ride at times since then...

We (those who build and maintain) talk about the joy of doing such often here and out in the field. It doesn't matter for the most part what color, creed, orientation, or whether your a Specialized or die rider, though we all get ribbed about something we're passionate about other than biking... What does come out of it is an entirely new shared perspective of the trail. Which, for those who know, IS a major part of what mountain biking is to them. So, grab a trail tool, join that work party and get that feeling.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    So, while folks have been b!tching about paying to ride/build at Tokul, consider that they logged over 900 acres on Galby and we've rebuilt almost half of our trail mileage (21.8 miles of trail to be exact) in the past year and a half.
    I gotta play devils advocate and ask:
    If the DNR had invited mountain bikers- and offered help- to build new mountain-bike specific trails in the north fork /whatcom county, would the Galby rebuilding still have been such a success?

That to me is the difference.... every hour and dollar spent at Tokul could be going to Tiger Mtn, where we finally have some good progress with the DNR. Of course you guys have Chuckanut, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. It's also obvious that the ratio of builders to users is way different in your neck of the woods.

Of course, at the end of the day I'll try to help build at both places.
    Tokul, cause it's the best winter riding we have.
    Tiger, cause it's the future and the terrain is better (although seasonal).
    Bottom line is we are spread thin and sometimes you gotta prioritize.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I gotta play devils advocate and ask:
    If the DNR had invited mountain bikers- and offered help- to build new mountain-bike specific trails in the north fork /whatcom county, would the Galby rebuilding still have been such a success?

That to me is the difference.... every hour and dollar spent at Tokul could be going to Tiger Mtn, where we finally have some good progress with the DNR. Of course you guys have Chuckanut, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. It's also obvious that the ratio of builders to users is way different in your neck of the woods.

Yeah, we've also got Blanchard where we also do authorized work. I can certainly agree with the "strike while the iron's hot" thinking with Tiger. We're doing the same thing on Chuckanut. We've done 3 big days on Chuckanut this season and there will be a bunch more in 2013.

At the end of the day, Galby is everyone's bread and butter though. When you absolutely have to get a ride in - regardless how much time you've got - it's the go-to. Keep in mind, nothing is guaranteed up there either. A new landowner could always kick us out if they wanted to and there's still lots of trails that could be impacted by future logging.

We're actually considering creating a Trail Adoption Program like Mark Wood has done at the NSMBA. The goal there is to give someone (or a business) who has the time and inclination the approval to maintain, reroute and overhaul existing trails that often don't see enough love.

Like you said, FM, the builder to rider ratio is pretty unreal up here and not something we take for granted. That said, a big chunk of crews that come out for our organized traildays usually have their own projects going on elsewhere in the hills, so the ability to get stuff done in multiple zones is pretty easy because we're not spread as thin.

EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 12-20-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2