mtbr member

Tokul East 12-22-13 :(

I rode Tokul this weekend. The logging is in full swing. Ivan, KGB etc are all but gone. Time to start thinking about new trail, now that the hillside has opened up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tokul East 12-22-13  :(-wp_000827.jpg  

Tokul East 12-22-13  :(-wp_000828.jpg  

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Montana, Idaho, South Africa

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting...I think.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    So for those of us that haven't been riding the Tokuls for the last couple years, what does this mean? I was ready to buy my riding permit for 2014...

Is there still good trails to ride on TKW and TKE?
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh yeah. But, like many, I'm a little biased.

Hancock and it's loggers are actually really being pretty cool (I can't believe I'm saying that...) and trying to minimalize trail damage when logging. And, the gnomes are re-building and building re-routes afterwards. The years of active logging have not hurt Galbraith's rep and I am not sure they will really hurt Tokul. Still the east side winter go-to place when Tigger is seasonally closed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Riding permit?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Some people do pay up...

mtbr member
    Looks like Redline filmed their new bike promo at Tokul East. Some cool views of Flowtron!

Redline's New Full-Suspension 29er - D880 with Binary Link - sspomer - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Looks like Redline filmed their new bike promo at Tokul East. Some cool views of Flowtron!

Redline's New Full-Suspension 29er - D880 with Binary Link - sspomer - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Do you know when this video was taken? Judging by short sleeves and sunlight, was in back in the Fall?
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Juneuary 2014!

Look, Matt's climbing FT3K.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Was at Tokul East today, looks like the logging is over with. Can anyone confirm it is donezo so we can start reworking the original lines?

I will give credit to the logging crew, they left the lines pretty clean. Will be tons of work, but they are salvageable.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    Was at Tokul East today, looks like the logging is over with. Can anyone confirm it is donezo so we can start reworking the original lines?

I will give credit to the logging crew, they left the lines pretty clean. Will be tons of work, but they are salvageable.
    I'll give them a call to see if they're done with the heavy operations. Based on the original schedule they should be about done.

mtbr member
    I've noticed on Evergreen's website that the latest update is back in August about trails closed due to fire hazard. Who maintains the trail information?

I'm not very familiar with the trail names. Is there anyway a map could be highlighted with trails gone or open? (whichever is easier to do?)
    Just get out and ride!

Justin Vander Pol
    I just spoke with Hancock, and the major logging is done in the Crazy Ivan Zone, so we can go ahead and start re-opening the trails. There is still "chunking" to be done, and logging cleanup, so if you see machinery stay well away from it and ride a different route.

Traffic, I'll update the Trail Guide with the current logging info.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We went up Sunday and did some work. Lower Ivan is now re-opened. We put in a nice retaining wall at the very top to hold up the bench tread. Unfortunately the trail runs between 2 piles of slash that prevents any good drainage just off the road. We put in some temporary puncheon but it will need more fill ontop of what we put in.

We did not have a saw, so one smaller limb is sticking out over the trail, you can easily duck it, but it will have to come off.

We then walked out lower Ivan and buffed it up. Wish I had a dollar for ever pebble we raked off.

Pretty soggy up there!

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Nice work! Happen to look at upper Ivan? I'm really curious how that trail will hold up without tree cover. I think it would erode quickly in the rain and be tough to maintain the current route.

We will be riding TE Sunday and I generally carry a 12" folding saw and I can take car of that limb if it is still there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We did not bother checking out upper Ivan, I do not plan on re-opening that trail. It will not make it.

Current plan is to open up the old logging road bench that goes back to the pump track/old pass through stumps. We opened that 2 years ago and built some nice berms and a set of whoops on it. I think that has a chance of staying put in the warm summer.

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Rode T-E today.
    OGDH- was good but TONS of debris from the wind. A couple large down trees on the 2nd section.
    Flowtron/last frontier- was covered in frozen rain so we skipped them. Crazy slick!
    Goose Chase- Lots of debris in the upper section, the area it meets up with OGDH was good.
    Lower Ivan - In the best shape out of all the trails we saw. It rode real nice!

Midtown is totally gone, the trail leading to upper Ivan ends just before the old Cedar bridge, and Upper Ivan and KGB looked gone too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Glad lower Ivan rode well! We put in quite a lot of work.

How was the water at the very beginning by the logging road?

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Water? I saw a crib wall and some work done to create an entrance (VERY NICE!) but i dont remember riding thru any water. The entire trail was dry from start to finish and the entrance was area was packing in nicely.

The deep skid ruts on the steep section of lower Ivan seemed to be filled in a bit, and the big stump jump on that one right hander looked to have some work and rode really nice too.

All 6 of us had big smiles after that trail and it was a good way to end the day!

mtbr member

Re: Tokul East 12-22-13 :(

Dude, we rode the first two sections off midtown just last Wednesday! There is a little bike a bike involved

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That's good to know! We looked at it but it looked pretty covered in branches and tree parts so we didnt explore further. I assumed it wasnt passable.

mtbr member

Yea, it's worth it. There is also one down tree near beginning second section.

mtbr member
    How did you get to the Entrance? The trail leading to it was pretty bad. We had to walk a big chunk of it so we bailed down to one of the logging roads and headed to the start of Lower Ivan.

mtbr member

We roughly followed the same route, walked across the wood bridge, a little more hiking then rode to the trail head

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks to folks that answered my questions. I rode Tokul last weekend and though it rained the entire ride, I had a great time. Many of the trails i rode before are still in tact. Some of the nice XC single track that ran along the fire road is gone. But I noticed a completely different Flowtron. The shoots were particularly challenging with the wet terrain and all, but still had a great time. Even rode up one of the single tracks (rode much better down I have to say...)

I can't wait till the weather dries a bit. I like moisture. But Sunday was a bit much...
    Just get out and ride!

Justin Vander Pol
    Logging is done at Tokul E now, with just some post-logging work going on that will continue for a while (many months).

MidTown is totally rideable and running good with just a few spots that are still a bit beat up. Lower Ivan is running good too, so you can do MidTown, climb the road for 5 minutes and finish with lower Ivan.

I still haven't checked out Upper Ivan or KGB, curious to see how they fared. Upper Ivan might be a tough one to rebuild and keep from getting blown out if the trees are all gone.

Justin

mtbr member

I was thinking of riding out there this weekend. Have only been there once before and I'm not to familiar with the trails.

I was looking at the trail map. Can anyone chime in with what trails encompass Ivan and mid town?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

Moist and Delicious
    They weren't on the map on the Evergreen Page, but they can be "found" where the word EAST is on the lower center.

http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/w/upl..._2009_topo.jpg
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Which map are you looking at? The one on the evergreen site doesn't have those trails I believe. There's a thread here from last year where I posted some that have them though. I dont have them still or I'd send them your way.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member

Tokul East 12-22-13 :(

I was looking at the one posted above from evergreen. I'll search around a bit for some other maps. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member

Thanks to the fact providers and perhaps more to the speculators as now I have to go see for myself.

Midtown heroes and others thanks for the warm and fuzzy bham vibe. We/(you actually) shall overcome.

mtbr member
    Hit Mid-town Saturday and forgot how good it was. Where the trail peels off of upper Ivan after the ladder bridge, there's a steep roller that looks like you're going to fall off a cliff without the trees behind.

BTW, when you get to the logged area after the upper Ivan section and hit the road, take the 2nd road on the right to the end and pick up the trail on the left. If that makes any sense.

Also road last frontier which is a nice balance now to Flow Tron, skinny, steep, tight tech. Good times.

Pic from top of Mid-town.
    Tokul East 12-22-13  :(-wp_20140315_002.jpg

Justin Vander Pol
    Got out there last night, and between two crews we scoped out Upper Ivan and KGB.

Upper Ivan can be accessed from the new logging road along the top. It is mostly ridable, but has a lot of sticks on it. The last little bit before you hit the logging road is gone, but that's only 100' of trail. A few hours of trail work with a good crew and it should be running good again.

KGB will take more work. The first half of it is still rideable, but after that, it's gone. So it basically needs a full rebuild on the second half of the trail.

All in all these trails look really good after logging and I'm impressed with what Hancock did to keep the trails easy to reopen. They did the logging boundaries in ways where we still have clusters of trees so we're not just riding in one big clear cut.

mtbr member
    Can someone label the trails KGB, Ivan and some others that everyone knows about but not shown on the topo map? Or if it's been done, can you provide a link?

That would be so awesome!! =D
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We put in 4 hrs of trail work Sunday. What we are dubbing the "new upper Ivan". You will see the entrance from the upper logging road before the pump track (where the old huge stumps used to be). We got the trail around the first corner with a nice berm, the old "whoops" are gone. We stopped there with the work. Few more days of clearing will be needed to connect that with the lower section of Ivan.

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Nice work guys!!!

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    We put in 4 hrs of trail work Sunday. What we are dubbing the "new upper Ivan". You will see the entrance from the upper logging road before the pump track (where the old huge stumps used to be). We got the trail around the first corner with a nice berm, the old "whoops" are gone. We stopped there with the work. Few more days of clearing will be needed to connect that with the lower section of Ivan.
    Please drop me an email or give me a call. justin@vanderpol.org 206-390-2237. Love the energy, and there's now a protocol for building new trail on Hancock land. I want to get you and your build crew hooked into the process so we don't get in hot water with the land owners. Lots at stake here as I've personally been working with Hancock on the efforts to make the logging as low impact as possible on the trails we ride. Also want to make sure you're coordinating with the crew who built Crazy Ivan. Thanks!

Justin

mtbr member

Please try to comply with the white hat path that Juice has well in place and its why evergreen is coming out of the cornfield and we have new trails of our dreams popping out everywhere in the state.

And if you ever need a saw...
    Last edited by paleo; 03-25-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Justin Vander Pol
    The loggers went way above and beyond what normally happens to make the trails on Tokul E was easy to reopen after logging this time around. Some of it is how they high stumped along trails, routed logging roads to avoid key areas, and did the logging harvests to save trails and leave pockets of trees. They did this at the request of Hancock management because of the work Evergreen is doing with them.

Lots of great stuff in the pipeline, and now the trails are considered official and legit. There are also new build zones with mega vert that Hancock will let us build on. So much good potential right now that Hancock is working with us on. Keeping them happy and trusting us is the way we make it happen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great to hear the logging efforts from hancock and crew went well over there. I too have a sawyer equipment(huge thanks to Paleo) and live in Fall City. PM me if you need any help and hopefully we can work out a time that works well.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Cheers to all the hard work and coordination efforts to preserve such great trails!
    Just get out and ride!

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    Also want to make sure you're coordinating with the crew who built Crazy Ivan. Thanks!
    +1 on this.

I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of the OG TKE builders had just put everything on hold due to the logging and ongoing hancock process developments. Nobody wanted to screw things up or wast any effort.

It seems like now, we are in a good place to start rebuilding/improving.. and it would be great to get everybody coordinated. Rebuilding/improving the existing trails is a good start towards maybe building new, legit stuff there someday.

Makes sense to coordinate through Juice- he knows this history and all parties involved. I'll bring beer.

Justin Vander Pol
    A couple of us worked on getting the exit to Upper Crazy Ivan open again. We worked on the last bit where the trail from the pump track dumps you out onto the logging road. It's roughed in, all the branches are cleared out, and it's now an easy walk, but not fully rideable. One more work session and it should be good.

The steep part of Ivan fared pretty well, except the for the S-turns. You can ride them, but they were pretty hammered even before the logging. Not sure what we'll do with those, mybe just buff them out and call it good.

Justin Vander Pol
    We did a little more work (in the POURING rain yesterday) on Upper Crazy Ivan, and have the trail rideable again with a new exit onto the logging road.

Next we'll tackle the S-turns that got beat up during the logging. This section is pretty ugly at the moment. We've got some ideas in mind for making that section more durable. But the bottom line is that Ivan is fully rideable again from the pump track down to the logging road.

After we get Upper Ivan running we'll move on to KGB and get that trail opened back up, but that's a bigger job.

mtbr member
    I do miss the steep blown out goodness of upper Ivan! Thanks for getting it reopened. I'm sure lots of people are eager to skid down it.

When we first start riding it, it was a challenge just to ride it clean, once we were able to do that the goal was a clean run with zero skids! I swear some people just skid steer the whole thing and it gets tore up quick!

Justin Vander Pol
    Also, the trail that we sometimes call Ivan xc is the one that takes you from the power lines to the pump track. That trail is now mostly gone from the start of midTown to the pump track. At some point we'll put in a new trail there, but it went onto non-Hancock land and I was contacted by the neighbors and they asked us to stop using it and move it onto Hancock land.

So we will do that, but first Upper Ivan and KGB need to get running again, and then finalize the permit issues so we can build new trail on Hancock land. All this is in the works.

For now to get to the pump track ride the new logging road and then find the existing trail on your left.

What's it to you, buddy?
    thanks for your work, juice. on the trails and the relationship with hancock.

i miss the contiguous singletrack, especially the bit on private land. that was fun stuff. but it's cool that stuff is getting opened up so quickly. and it's only a bit of road if you go xc ivan, first part of midtown, and then hang a right to head out to the pumptrack.
    :: hf ::