Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tokul East 12-22-13 :(

5K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  harlowfarnsworth 
#1 ·
I rode Tokul this weekend. The logging is in full swing. Ivan, KGB etc are all but gone. Time to start thinking about new trail, now that the hillside has opened up.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh yeah. But, like many, I'm a little biased.

Hancock and it's loggers are actually really being pretty cool (I can't believe I'm saying that...) and trying to minimalize trail damage when logging. And, the gnomes are re-building and building re-routes afterwards. The years of active logging have not hurt Galbraith's rep and I am not sure they will really hurt Tokul. Still the east side winter go-to place when Tigger is seasonally closed.

#10 ·
Was at Tokul East today, looks like the logging is over with. Can anyone confirm it is donezo so we can start reworking the original lines?

I will give credit to the logging crew, they left the lines pretty clean. Will be tons of work, but they are salvageable.

#12 ·
I've noticed on Evergreen's website that the latest update is back in August about trails closed due to fire hazard. Who maintains the trail information?

I'm not very familiar with the trail names. Is there anyway a map could be highlighted with trails gone or open? (whichever is easier to do?)

#13 ·
I just spoke with Hancock, and the major logging is done in the Crazy Ivan Zone, so we can go ahead and start re-opening the trails. There is still "chunking" to be done, and logging cleanup, so if you see machinery stay well away from it and ride a different route.

Traffic, I'll update the Trail Guide with the current logging info.

#14 ·
We went up Sunday and did some work. Lower Ivan is now re-opened. We put in a nice retaining wall at the very top to hold up the bench tread. Unfortunately the trail runs between 2 piles of slash that prevents any good drainage just off the road. We put in some temporary puncheon but it will need more fill ontop of what we put in.

We did not have a saw, so one smaller limb is sticking out over the trail, you can easily duck it, but it will have to come off.

We then walked out lower Ivan and buffed it up. Wish I had a dollar for ever pebble we raked off.

Pretty soggy up there!

#15 ·
Nice work! Happen to look at upper Ivan? I'm really curious how that trail will hold up without tree cover. I think it would erode quickly in the rain and be tough to maintain the current route.

We will be riding TE Sunday and I generally carry a 12" folding saw and I can take car of that limb if it is still there.

#16 ·
We did not bother checking out upper Ivan, I do not plan on re-opening that trail. It will not make it.

Current plan is to open up the old logging road bench that goes back to the pump track/old pass through stumps. We opened that 2 years ago and built some nice berms and a set of whoops on it. I think that has a chance of staying put in the warm summer.

#17 ·
Rode T-E today.
OGDH- was good but TONS of debris from the wind. A couple large down trees on the 2nd section.
Flowtron/last frontier- was covered in frozen rain so we skipped them. Crazy slick!
Goose Chase- Lots of debris in the upper section, the area it meets up with OGDH was good.
Lower Ivan - In the best shape out of all the trails we saw. It rode real nice!

Midtown is totally gone, the trail leading to upper Ivan ends just before the old Cedar bridge, and Upper Ivan and KGB looked gone too.

#19 ·
Water? I saw a crib wall and some work done to create an entrance (VERY NICE!) but i dont remember riding thru any water. The entire trail was dry from start to finish and the entrance was area was packing in nicely.

The deep skid ruts on the steep section of lower Ivan seemed to be filled in a bit, and the big stump jump on that one right hander looked to have some work and rode really nice too.

All 6 of us had big smiles after that trail and it was a good way to end the day!

#25 ·
Ok, thanks to folks that answered my questions. I rode Tokul last weekend and though it rained the entire ride, I had a great time. Many of the trails i rode before are still in tact. Some of the nice XC single track that ran along the fire road is gone. But I noticed a completely different Flowtron. The shoots were particularly challenging with the wet terrain and all, but still had a great time. Even rode up one of the single tracks (rode much better down I have to say...)

I can't wait till the weather dries a bit. I like moisture. But Sunday was a bit much...

#26 ·
Logging is done at Tokul E now, with just some post-logging work going on that will continue for a while (many months).

MidTown is totally rideable and running good with just a few spots that are still a bit beat up. Lower Ivan is running good too, so you can do MidTown, climb the road for 5 minutes and finish with lower Ivan.

I still haven't checked out Upper Ivan or KGB, curious to see how they fared. Upper Ivan might be a tough one to rebuild and keep from getting blown out if the trees are all gone.

Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.