Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tokul East 12-22-13 :(

I rode Tokul this weekend. The logging is in full swing. Ivan, KGB etc are all but gone. Time to start thinking about new trail, now that the hillside has opened up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tokul East 12-22-13  :(-wp_000827.jpg  

Tokul East 12-22-13  :(-wp_000828.jpg  

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting...I think.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    So for those of us that haven't been riding the Tokuls for the last couple years, what does this mean? I was ready to buy my riding permit for 2014...

Is there still good trails to ride on TKW and TKE?
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh yeah. But, like many, I'm a little biased.

Hancock and it's loggers are actually really being pretty cool (I can't believe I'm saying that...) and trying to minimalize trail damage when logging. And, the gnomes are re-building and building re-routes afterwards. The years of active logging have not hurt Galbraith's rep and I am not sure they will really hurt Tokul. Still the east side winter go-to place when Tigger is seasonally closed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Riding permit?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Some people do pay up...

mtbr member
    Looks like Redline filmed their new bike promo at Tokul East. Some cool views of Flowtron!

Redline's New Full-Suspension 29er - D880 with Binary Link - sspomer - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Looks like Redline filmed their new bike promo at Tokul East. Some cool views of Flowtron!

Redline's New Full-Suspension 29er - D880 with Binary Link - sspomer - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Do you know when this video was taken? Judging by short sleeves and sunlight, was in back in the Fall?
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Juneuary 2014!

Look, Matt's climbing FT3K.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Was at Tokul East today, looks like the logging is over with. Can anyone confirm it is donezo so we can start reworking the original lines?

I will give credit to the logging crew, they left the lines pretty clean. Will be tons of work, but they are salvageable.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    Was at Tokul East today, looks like the logging is over with. Can anyone confirm it is donezo so we can start reworking the original lines?

I will give credit to the logging crew, they left the lines pretty clean. Will be tons of work, but they are salvageable.
    I'll give them a call to see if they're done with the heavy operations. Based on the original schedule they should be about done.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    I've noticed on Evergreen's website that the latest update is back in August about trails closed due to fire hazard. Who maintains the trail information?

I'm not very familiar with the trail names. Is there anyway a map could be highlighted with trails gone or open? (whichever is easier to do?)
    Just get out and ride!

Justin Vander Pol
    I just spoke with Hancock, and the major logging is done in the Crazy Ivan Zone, so we can go ahead and start re-opening the trails. There is still "chunking" to be done, and logging cleanup, so if you see machinery stay well away from it and ride a different route.

Traffic, I'll update the Trail Guide with the current logging info.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We went up Sunday and did some work. Lower Ivan is now re-opened. We put in a nice retaining wall at the very top to hold up the bench tread. Unfortunately the trail runs between 2 piles of slash that prevents any good drainage just off the road. We put in some temporary puncheon but it will need more fill ontop of what we put in.

We did not have a saw, so one smaller limb is sticking out over the trail, you can easily duck it, but it will have to come off.

We then walked out lower Ivan and buffed it up. Wish I had a dollar for ever pebble we raked off.

Pretty soggy up there!

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Nice work! Happen to look at upper Ivan? I'm really curious how that trail will hold up without tree cover. I think it would erode quickly in the rain and be tough to maintain the current route.

We will be riding TE Sunday and I generally carry a 12" folding saw and I can take car of that limb if it is still there.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We did not bother checking out upper Ivan, I do not plan on re-opening that trail. It will not make it.

Current plan is to open up the old logging road bench that goes back to the pump track/old pass through stumps. We opened that 2 years ago and built some nice berms and a set of whoops on it. I think that has a chance of staying put in the warm summer.

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Rode T-E today.
    OGDH- was good but TONS of debris from the wind. A couple large down trees on the 2nd section.
    Flowtron/last frontier- was covered in frozen rain so we skipped them. Crazy slick!
    Goose Chase- Lots of debris in the upper section, the area it meets up with OGDH was good.
    Lower Ivan - In the best shape out of all the trails we saw. It rode real nice!

Midtown is totally gone, the trail leading to upper Ivan ends just before the old Cedar bridge, and Upper Ivan and KGB looked gone too.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Glad lower Ivan rode well! We put in quite a lot of work.

How was the water at the very beginning by the logging road?

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Water? I saw a crib wall and some work done to create an entrance (VERY NICE!) but i dont remember riding thru any water. The entire trail was dry from start to finish and the entrance was area was packing in nicely.

The deep skid ruts on the steep section of lower Ivan seemed to be filled in a bit, and the big stump jump on that one right hander looked to have some work and rode really nice too.

All 6 of us had big smiles after that trail and it was a good way to end the day!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: Tokul East 12-22-13 :(

Dude, we rode the first two sections off midtown just last Wednesday! There is a little bike a bike involved

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That's good to know! We looked at it but it looked pretty covered in branches and tree parts so we didnt explore further. I assumed it wasnt passable.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Yea, it's worth it. There is also one down tree near beginning second section.

mtbr member
    How did you get to the Entrance? The trail leading to it was pretty bad. We had to walk a big chunk of it so we bailed down to one of the logging roads and headed to the start of Lower Ivan.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

We roughly followed the same route, walked across the wood bridge, a little more hiking then rode to the trail head

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks to folks that answered my questions. I rode Tokul last weekend and though it rained the entire ride, I had a great time. Many of the trails i rode before are still in tact. Some of the nice XC single track that ran along the fire road is gone. But I noticed a completely different Flowtron. The shoots were particularly challenging with the wet terrain and all, but still had a great time. Even rode up one of the single tracks (rode much better down I have to say...)

I can't wait till the weather dries a bit. I like moisture. But Sunday was a bit much...
    Just get out and ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast