Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

TK- East RR - death by thorns on LF

Rode TKE today. Already seems like late summer form - i.e., blown out, dry as a bone on all the clear cut areas.

Didn't have clippers with me (oops), and Last Frontier was a major flesh eater! Was so overgrown with thorns, I ended up just walking the upper part, breaking thorn branches as I went, and tying to keep blood loss at a minimum. Bring a weed wacker or clippers if you want to ride it.

Upper Midtown was getting really deeply rutted out on the switchbacks, and Upper Ivan was also super dry and thus quite slippery. Still, I like how it was re-opened.

I understand why the re-route of the Lower Ivan start was necessary, but it's not as nice a run in for that first jump as it was before. Works OK tho.

Probably won't be back til it rains on those trails, and anyway lots of new Tiger goodness to get used to this Summer.

mtbr member
    I went up yesterday and was pretty scraped up by the end. Glad I skipped Last Frontier. The rocky road to Upper Ivan has frame high grass.

But its all still awesome. Mid-town was definitely slick on a few switchbacks but the more scattered/selective logging did some good. Lower mid-town was mint. Love that trail.

Saw one horse and one hiker but it was Duthie Festival day.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Everyone riding Flowtron or Last Frontier, please bring clippers or a machete with you and whack a few branches out of the way. It'll take some pruning for a few years until the trees grow up enough to shade out the weeds. Me and the HLC guys who built the trails probably won't do brushing - we'll leave that to the others who ride out there.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    You got it Juice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I'm gonna go up later this week with a gas brush cutter and go to town! Make it last for a bit.

Anything need it over on TK West while I'm out and about?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. You may want to contact Slop or McCracken as I assume they were going to drive in with the whacker/blower and get Poopy D, The Middle etc soon. Didn't make it out to Upper OB today so will be out there after work tomorrow picking up limbs and grading to re-open the trail. I assume there will be a big push on whacking/blowing Golden Spike this next month too. While finally dried up, it is getting overgrown...

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsteele View Post
    I'm gonna go up later this week with a gas brush cutter and go to town! Make it last for a bit.

Hell yeah! Thanks Nsteele!

I'm hoping to keep progress going on rebuilding Crazy Ivan, but the good weather kind of halted our progress.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsteele View Post

Would you consider brushing back Gun Range as well? Thanks.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Getting tight on the short climbing trail from SVT to Pink Ribbon/Beaver Pond road. The long run from Outback Extension to the bottom of Steakhouse in a few spots. Poopy was the worst.

Thank!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

I took out the two blowdowns on Safety First this morning. Then brushed and blowered Safety & Gun Range.
    Nsteele - let me know when you want to take on Flowtron and Last Frontier.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Mike: I'll PM you. Was thinking later this week. I'm up for hitting West too if you have gate keys to cut the slog in with power tools.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Slop and I did a number on the upper West trails this evening. Upper Outback is wide open and ready for riding. Moonraker got some Slop love too. The ride down Steakhouse/The Middle/Bobsled was awesome. The rain this morning out here made the trails even better...

Rider
    rode KGB last night....all the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Slop and I did a number on the upper West trails this evening. Upper Outback is wide open and ready for riding. Moonraker got some Slop love too. The ride down Steakhouse/The Middle/Bobsled was awesome. The rain this morning out here made the trails even better...
    is moonraker open again? missing that trail...
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    rode KGB last night....all the way
    Cool! ...need video

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    I took out the two blowdowns on Safety First this morning. Then brushed and blowered Safety & Gun Range.
    Nsteele - let me know when you want to take on Flowtron and Last Frontier.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thank you so much... it's been a long time for me to get out there and get it handled. I really appreciate it.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by harlowfarnsworth View Post
    is moonraker open again? missing that trail...
    Yep, wide open. Along with Bon Bon, Upper outback, and Mousetrap. All a little loose and dry in places with some spots that will need dirtwork when we have some moisture.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yep, wide open. Along with Bon Bon, Upper outback, and Mousetrap. All a little loose and dry in places with some spots that will need dirtwork when we have some moisture.
    Thanks Borneo and Slop for finishing that all up.

Nsteele and I are planning on taking care of Flowtron and Last Frontier tomorrow morning. Meeting in Fall City at 8 am and driving in.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    that's awesome. thanks, borneo and slop. much appreciated.

EMBA Member
    Is the structure on Safety First solid? Looks like a couple broken boards, but I ride it like it's made of steel anyway. Seems solid enough as I roll over it, but maybe someone that knows can give it a sniff (please).

mtbr member
    i came really close to eating sh*t on it riding up safety first a few weeks ago, when i went up it with too little speed. came out of the pedals, came down hard on the wood with my feet, and just barely stepped down to the ground with my limbs intact. the thing never moved. i've always thought it was one of the longest standing wood structures i've seen out there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I believe it was the first and it is the last...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

I walked over it several times while clearing the trail on Monday. A little rickety but held my Clyde weight plus leaf blower just fine. If folks want it out, I can go back up and cut the log out it goes over.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Keep it! Pre-FT3K/LF woodwork destruction sentimentality if anything.... Did the trail need some more dirtwork to drain and fill in the low spots?

mtbr member
    no! leave it! it's too bad there aren't more structures like that tucked away in the woods out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast