Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tiger Ride RR Sat 4/19/14

We made it through Preston when the rains started with a vengeance. Completely soaked by the parking lot. I don't advise going Sunday at all...even if it's dry out.

The trails in the best shape after all the previous rain were in order:
    1. Summit - minty
    2. Preston through the 2nd Switchback - Hero
    3. Fully Rigid - Not a puddle and little mud - Nice job!
    4. Preston switchbacks 5 to end - No creeks but gooey in spots
    5. Joyride - Definitely muckier in open areas and the rain wasn't helping and mainly at the top - treed spots were sweet
    6. NWT - worst I've seen in many years but again hard rain
    7. Preston 2nd to 5th switch - In 15 years I've never seen water flowing down an entire section and then take the switch back for another 100' of the next section. This was serious flow and the rain had not started yet. I needed a diaper.

This begs the question; why keep preston in tact as is when those two sections are always nasty. Any thought to a Fully Rigid Style connector between switchback 3 and 5. Couldn't be more than a couple hundred feet and would break up the relentless speed of Preston. The other sections could stay open for the summer season but little work would have to be put into them. Just thinkin...

Kudos again on the new trail construction. The attention to detail and craftsmanship has obviously paid off with its performance in nasty conditions.

mtbr member
    Also, there were a couple of 4x4 posts at what looked like a trail exit on the way up to Fully Rigid. Was that Off the Grid?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The state is going in Preston Monday to finish off rebuilding SB 2-3. Then they go to work on OTG to try and get that 3 miles of trail open mid summer(Stay out of there way on this one and wait until they give the green light)! The 4x4 post is for a sign to inform people that this is just a maintenance access point, not a dang trail.

A ton of volunteers did 800 hours of work on 2000' of Preston from SB5 to the steeper chute off the RR grade. Sorry the trail is narrower with some new turns in there, more rocks and pinches to make you ride the roots.

Thanks to everyone who came out this winter on Preston. It's working well.

Then there will be a Preston bailout (radness) trail built from SB3, it's more then a few hundred feet. (Stay out of the way until the green light is givin on that one too) After PBR is built they will close Preston down this fall below SB3 and rebuild the trail from SB3-5 to match the rest of the well draining work that has been done on Preston After Preston is fully rebuilt they will do a trial period of staying open longer/opening sooner as trail conditions/ weather allows. Who knows maybe they will let the snowline close the trails down at some point.

Also a climbing trail is going to be started this year by the State. From a little bit in NWT and then up the mtn to high up on the Crossover road.

On top of all that the State will be doing a cooperative agreement with Evergreen to build a full on decent trail on Tiger, 2 miles long down 1400'. Should start early summer and be ready for next year!

PS that still is not everything for new trails on Tiger. The Place will be tipping 20+ miles three or four years from now. Can you say epic all mountain rides.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    PS that still is not everything for new trails on Tiger. The Place will be tipping 20+ miles three or four years from now. Can you say epic all mountain rides.
    Hell yeah! Thanks for the update & great news

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Watch for work parties being posted and come out and help us get them done. A great chance to get an early look of some of sweet features these new trails will offer.

mtbr member
    Yah Mon! thanks for the data. going to be sweet!

Ellsdemon
    That's going to be awesome !!!

mtbr member
    Conditions at Tiger today were surprisingly good. The Preston river was flowing, but summit and all the new trails were in great shape. It just shows how taking time to build a trail for the conditions is worth the extra effort. We even stopped on the fast flowy section of NWT just past the root drop and cut out the deadfall that was hanging out into the trail. I shoulder checked it last week, so i got revenge with my folding saw!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    so with all the work that will be going on by the state this year we will still be able to ride the trails all the way up and down? sorry im a little confused as to, do i need to stay off the trails or, will they be closing some through out the summer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems pretty clear to me. If I am reading mtbty's psoting correctly, after the Preston Bailout is built off of switchback #3 (SB3) down to the connector road, presumably by the bridge where I saw some evidence of work, they will close the lower part of Preston RR from SB3 down to the connector road. It sounds like that is all of the closures planned for trails that currently exist. Off The Grid (OTG) is not done yet but sounds promising to be done this summer (yay!).
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    It seems pretty clear to me. If I am reading mtbty's psoting correctly, after the Preston Bailout is built off of switchback #3 (SB3) down to the connector road, presumably by the bridge where I saw some evidence of work, they will close the lower part of Preston RR from SB3 down to the connector road. It sounds like that is all of the closures planned for trails that currently exist. Off The Grid (OTG) is not done yet but sounds promising to be done this summer (yay!).
    That is correct

I5Troll
    Plan for this summer:

Tiger Ride RR Sat 4/19/14-tigerplansummer2014.jpg

Beginnings of a stacked loop system:

Tiger Ride RR Sat 4/19/14-stackedloop.jpg

With, as mentioned above, many more options to come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiger Ride RR Sat 4/19/14-stackedloop.jpg  

I5Troll
    And my favorite option...

Tiger Ride RR Sat 4/19/14-fig8lollipop.jpg

Out on NWT -> up road south of Joyride -> out on SS -> up crossover road -> down FR -> down JR -> back on NWT. Throw in Iverson for a little more.

mtbr member
    That last one looks like a XC great loop, especially with Iverson. So I take it there's a dive in point off the Road Joy Ride crosses that connects at the "Y" in Joy Ride after the bridge.

I really like the Crossover climb to Fully Rigid..nice mellow grade after the leg crusher on Summit. What's the rest of the climb like to the junction of Summit road? Could totally see adding an OTG lap after PBR and roll right into FR-JR-NWT.

You guys are so smart...it's almost like you planned it that way.

mtbr member
    The rest of the crossover climb gets pretty steep.
    Out of the new trails, I LOVE Silent Swamp heading toward the bottom of Preston.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    So I take it there's a dive in point off the Road Joy Ride crosses that connects at the "Y" in Joy Ride after the bridge.

Yes sir, there is.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Just to be clear, it's to close the trail down while they work on it for a bit, then they will reopen after the work is done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    That last one looks like a XC great loop, especially with Iverson. So I take it there's a dive in point off the Road Joy Ride crosses that connects at the "Y" in Joy Ride after the bridge.

I really like the Crossover climb to Fully Rigid..nice mellow grade after the leg crusher on Summit. What's the rest of the climb like to the junction of Summit road? Could totally see adding an OTG lap after PBR and roll right into FR-JR-NWT.

You guys are so smart...it's almost like you planned it that way.

Adding Iverson in to that loop is around a 16 mile ride and 2100' +/-
    My favorite short XC in the area now.

You can Thank Sam from DNR for the well planned out trail system. With out him, this would not have got started. Maybe write so letters to DNR letting them know how much you enjoy whats going on?

mtbr member
    I just wish Iverson was a singletrack loop. Any plans in the works to eliminate the logging road ride to the Iverson TH?
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Lovin it!

Where is PBR going to be on the map? Is that in the plan for 2014 or next year?

mtbr member
    You can see the general area of PBR on the 1st map Mike posted. Its a short steep switchback section that leads to the crossover road.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Is that the one labeled "#2: Build bail out trail at SB3?"

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsteele View Post
    Is that the one labeled "#2: Build bail out trail at SB3?"

Yes, that area. PBR will be this year.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Cool. Thanks.

These different loops are going to be awesome!

mtbr member
    great updates thanks. any word on a Grand Ridge/Tiger connector?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast