Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ride your bike
    Is the road south of Joyride easy to find? It exits NWT to the left before getting to Joyride, correct? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    And my favorite option...

Attachment 887317

Out on NWT -> up road south of Joyride -> out on SS -> up crossover road -> down FR -> down JR -> back on NWT. Throw in Iverson for a little more.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
    Is the road south of Joyride easy to find? It exits NWT to the left before getting to Joyride, correct? Thanks!
    If you are going out NWT from the parking lot, the road is at the end of NWT a ways past where Joyride intersects with NWT. The road goes up and to the left whereas the road to the bottom of Preston RR is straight ahead. Joyride crosses the road just above NWT and then you can access Joyride further up the road.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is one if you know how to get there.....

Really though, it's pretty obvious and legal as far as I know. We used to go that way all the time to get to the PRT when I worked at Ride up in Preston. The Power Line trail from the High Point lot should still be rideable east bound which connects to the Preston Exit.

ride your bike
    Thank you. :-)
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm looking forward to a NW Timber -> Joyride/Silent Swamp -> Preston climb -> fire road -> Tiger Summit -> OTG -> Fully Rigid -> Joy Ride -> NW Timber lollipop.

Moar singletrack!

Hoping the rest of the week is a little drier...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    It is going to be cold this weekend. Tiger might get a dusting of snow at the summit!
    Late next week is looking good though.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Maybe write so letters to DNR letting them know how much you enjoy whats going on?
    Just did this.
    For anyone who wants to say THANKS drop a line to brock.milliern@dnr.wa.gov

It's the least we can do peoples! Send a note!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I figured I'd better get after it today if I was going to do it in the near future.

So I did.

I had a lot of fun! And I really like the new trails. I could see doing the loop and substituting Silent Swamp and Joy Ride for the logging road portion. I'd miss Fully Rigid, but all life is compromise. Definitely looking forward to the trails still in the pipe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey Mike. How come none of these options show riding up Preston? I think riding up Preston is a much better option. it's wide enough for two way traffic but are 'we' discouraging that direction? It just seems to me we should have some loops with ZERO double track and I don't see any feasible way to do this. I can put together a lollypop but not a loop in single track. Could be missing it...

mtbr member
    Climbing Preston is pretty common and lots of people do it. He is just showing some general loop ideas.

There is a climbing trail in the works that would make for a near continuous single track loop, so there will be lots of options. That's why it's important for people to help out an join work parties. The more that show up, the sooner we get to ride new stuff!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I5Troll
    Thanks Mr. Lynch... correct. As the network expands even further, there will be way too many options to put on a stacked loop diagram

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think its great. I've been avoiding Tiger for years because, for whatever reason, the mantra was "fix Preston and then you we can talk about new trails". So I stopped going to work parties on Tiger for that reason. It seemed crazy to me that clear cutting was allowed but no new trails were allowed. anyway, I digress. I would like to be more involved because I think it can be one of those places you can send out-of-towners and you know they will get the 'soggy' NW riding experience.

I rode SS for the first time on Saturday and it was clearly the wrong direction. I did a work party on it last year but it never really dawned on me that it as built to one direction. It's totally ridable from Preston to NWT if it were ready. If I have a point I think that it is I would like to see more climbing friendly trails. Preston is one of the best on this side of the mountains. Going down Preston is another debate altogether.

Also, what about taking that trail on the back side (forgot the name) that comes out above Iverson? Seems to me the only users are of the poacher type. I've heard it wouldn't take much to whip into a long term investment.

I5Troll
    It definitely is more fun going south-to-north on Silent Swamp, but there's no wrong direction. If we fix up the one switchback, it'll be easily ridden both ways.

The problem we faced building that trail is the long ~3% grade road to trail conversion. We really tried to bump it off the road bed and make it more up and down -- so a similar experience going both ways. But that was just not feasible (not financially viable) due to the conditions. So with a long 3-4% grade stuck in a road prism, whadayagonnado? That can make a really fun flowy downhill, but it's hard to make anything but a boring climb. So the decision was made to at least make it fun going down. Besides, I think most riders will climb the crossover road and hit Fully Rigid to JoyRide instead.

As the system takes shape with OTG and the new downhill only trail, the whole system will open up with options. The new climbing trail will be the preferred quick ST route to the top, but me thinks that climbers wanting a longer tougher way to the top will take NWT -> SS -> Preston... and less and less riders will go down Preston. That makes SS a fun bit in the middle of the climb to the top. Just thoughts. Just have to wait and see.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I rode Silent Swamp both ways. And liked it both ways, actually.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Echo Mike on the SS constraints except I'd leave the one switchback alone. It's climbable, technical and not a give-me for sure. As a result it'll make riders better. Even the descent on that corner throws a little tech at you and rewards better bike handling skills. We struggled with a lot of things putting these trails in, knowing that a majority of riders may be challenged with some features. In the end providing some bits of challenge for the average rider to progress mastering a feature and giving some alternate options for the better riders is where we ended up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Understood. And I am no way complaining. In fact, I don't think my opinion counts here at all since I haven't been involved but it sometimes doesn't stop me from giving my opinion anyway.

It's amazing to me how much better Tiger has become in just a couple of years. I am excited to see what happens in the next few years.

mtbr member
    As the system takes shape with OTG and the new downhill only trail, the whole system will open up with options.
    ...like when the chairlift gets installed!

mtbr member
    You have one built into your bike. They are called crank arms!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Switch Up

My cranks are underpowered and often run out of gas. Although I have found they work better if I wear spandex!

thread Highjack alert...this one was getting tired anyway...

Speaking of personal chairlifts...saw this recently...ready for presale and they said it's designed for MTB. $700, no gas, and self charging.

https://www.superpedestrian.com/

Would this defile the purity of the sport or make it more accessible to the masses (that can afford a $700 wheel)???

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    There is one if you know how to get there.....

Really though, it's pretty obvious and legal as far as I know. We used to go that way all the time to get to the PRT when I worked at Ride up in Preston. The Power Line trail from the High Point lot should still be rideable east bound which connects to the Preston Exit.
    You can also go left from the bottom of preston rather than going right around the switchback. Takes a bit more bushwacking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is my new favorite local short loop, it's got a bit of everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It definitely is more fun going south-to-north on Silent Swamp, but there's no wrong direction. If we fix up the one switchback, it'll be easily ridden both ways.
    We don't need to fix anything, People don't need to be able clean every foot of a trail most of the time. It's okay if people have to walk a few spots on a trail.

It's a good feeling when you do clean a hard part of the trail that you have been having issues with.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    I hear that Tyler! We rode up Joyride for the first time last night and I had to walk a few sections, but it just means I'll have to try harder to clear them next time!

I love the mix of fast flowy spots, and techy, rocky, tight area. It keeps you on your toes and is just plain fun to ride. I do prefer SS heading North, but it still pedals nice going south too. 4 of us hit the veggie gap on SS last night, but the 5th guy didnt have speed and tried to roll it. The big log in it taught him a lesson! No injuries, just lots of laughs.

We started at 7pm and while riding NWT to Joyride I bet we passed 25 people. Nice to see people out enjoying all the hardwork that was put in!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    The wiki says you need a discovery pass for the upper lot but do you need one for the lot immediately off highway 18? I just always hung my pass up last year but haven't gotten a new one yet this year and wanted to go today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdude14 View Post
    The wiki says you need a discovery pass for the upper lot but do you need one for the lot immediately off highway 18? I just always hung my pass up last year but haven't gotten a new one yet this year and wanted to go today.
    Nope. The lot right off of highway 18 is DOT property and does not require a Discover Pass.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast