Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Tiger Mtn E. Summit Trail was SOOOO NICE today!

Parking lot full, nobody up on top. Had E. Summit trail all to myself- everybody was down low I guess. Dirt was damn near perfect. So fun and so fast- that trail just RIPS! Snow still across the road up near the top- just added to the experience. What a beaut of a day. Rainier in all her glory from the top.

Preston was in good shape too. Wet & blazing fast, but not really that muddy. Lots of nice trail work on the bottom section too.

Overall, super fun day! With the weather forecast, I'd highly recommend calling in sick tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Perspective is such a strange thing. I rode all three trails today as well but was thinking to myself the whole time, I really shouldn't be on these trails, this is trashing the work of others. It was a great day to get out and ride but the trail tread is very soft in a lot of areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Tiger Mtn E. Summit Trail was SOOOO NICE today!

Summit trail was firm for me- seriously. Only a few short spots were a little squishy, but not enough to cause damage. I don't weigh much . I'll bet it's totally good tomorrow.

Preston was wet like it always is. NTT was more muddy in spots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Graham from Evergreen and a WCC crew went in today to clean all the mucky goo off the trail left over from its first winter. We rode it Sunday, I was really gooey so we wanted to go clean it up with the nice weather coming.

It was pretty damaged from people riding it with all the snow and rain the last few weeks. It had a 2"-6" lay of muck all over it.

You can thank Sam from the DNR for lending Graham the crew.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

EMBA Member
    Amazing they could clean off the entire summit trail in one day. I rode summit Monday evening, and there was a fair bit of squish the majority of the trail. I'd decided to stay off for a while to let it dry out some more. Thanks to the trail crew for fixing it as those trails are some of the best around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good deal, it's good to go for Thursday then? I had planned on hitting Tiger after at least two warm dry days had firmed things up before riding on the new trail specifically, since it is the highest and newest one and likeliest to remain colder and wetter. If mtbty thinks it's good to go, I'll take his word on it.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Good deal, it's good to go for Thursday then? I had planned on hitting Tiger after at least two warm dry days had firmed things up before riding on the new trail specifically, since it is the highest and newest one and likeliest to remain colder and wetter. If mtbty thinks it's good to go, I'll take his word on it.
    the new trail is open now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did a sunset/ full moon ride on the summit trail tonight with a big group of rock star trail builders tonight. Lapped the summit trail 3 times. It is really good right now, other then a little squish in spots, but with the weather forecast it might turn in to goop again. Lots of clay on that trail. If it's ridden in mod/heavy presip it could/ likely will goop up again fast.

Riding it in light rain should be fine, but maybe holding off riding during mod/ heavy presip so the trail doesn't get sloppy. Tire pressure brings moisture to the surface, which doesn't work well with a high clay content.

friday will be epic up there, and this weekend could be hit or miss tell sunday evening. just plan avoiding it Sunday evening thru mid of next week would be good for the trail.
    Give it a few days to dry up after the 1.5-2" of rain that's forecasted to come do early next week will help a lot.

Just remember it rains 2 to 3 times harder at the summit then in town.

Preston's Preston, so enjoy that river trail if you would like.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    I did a sunset/ full moon ride on the summit trail tonight with a big group of rock star trail builders tonight. Lapped the summit trail 3 times. .

Sounds awesome! So, how many trucks did it take to transpo you guys and bikes back up to the top all those times?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Did 2.5 summit laps with said group and witnessed no shuttling, lots of schralping!

Yep it's good out there right now....even the preston was 85% dry!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's awesome to hear the trails are drying out! It's starting to feel almost summery...

FYI If there are any folks who haven't been before or who just want to do a group ride, I'm leading one on Sunday morning! Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Sounds awesome! So, how many trucks did it take to transpo you guys and bikes back up to the top all those times?
    Just my truck, cuz i was already up there from building that day. But no shuttling, everyone pedaled for their laps. One of our guys did 6 laps last night, each lap is 600 feet of elev up that road, so he rode like a boss.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Did 2.5 summit laps with said group and witnessed no shuttling, lots of schralping!

Yep it's good out there right now....even the preston was 85% dry!
    Just watch out for the drones...

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Rode it yesterday, best condition I have seen it yet, don't think I saw a single puddle and no major water until about 2nd switchback on Preston. Major props to the trail builders up there

Last word is all yours...
    Rode the Trifecta today - Iverson, E.T. Summit & Preston, and NW Timber. It was in fine shape. Only some clear flowing water on Preston; no significant mud.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was sweet today--two cycles of the Summit trail from Summit to top of PRR and then down. Minor, almost inconsequential mud and clear water elsewhere on PRR.

Found a water bottle on PRR; if you want it, tell me size and color and I'll find some way to get it back to you.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Saturday morning was some of the best conditions I've seen this early. Summit is sweet! Only the two middle sections on Preston were wet and not bad. Rock work on the last leg of Preston was very impressive and provides a good technical challenge.

I didn't ride the enduro last year but I would imagine railing Summit and Preston non-stop at race pace would be an ass-kicker. We were toast at the bottom with three short stops.

Looking forward to the new trails...I hope they are down hill.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Navigator, think about an 18:38 top to bottom and then down the road and right around the corner a hundred yards or so... That was the fastest time last year. 4+ minutes faster than yours truly at 23:01.

Still some 1-way DH trails in the plan I hear.

mtbr member
    18:38 is insane. I did it in 21:20, and I scared myself several times. 20+ minutes of non-stop hauling ass was a lot of fun. Lots of traffic to deal with but everyone was pretty cool about letting you pass.

Ive done trail work and got to ride a lot of the new SS trail and it has a lot of killer DH sections. The "off-the grid" trail should be pretty insane when it is complete!
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Sure that guy didn't have a motor??? Braaappp! Sub 20 Min sounds like a good goal for the year. The toughest part for me is recovering after the climb. I think my Enduro strategy would be climb to the top, get a massage, followed by an hour nap. Then I'd be ready to really rip!

mtbr member
    That's from the top of the summit trail to the bottom of Preston and right a hundred yards?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep.... "That guy", my old neighbor, went to the XC worlds as a junior in like '97 if I recall. Total XC geek putting it to the DH guys.

mtbr member
    I could see it favoring a strong XC rider, for all the fun it is to bomb down, much of it is mainly straight. And if you dont mind a rough ride, something you could keep cranking on. Out of curiosity, what were the time limits to climb to the top of summit trail, and iverson for the first part?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No time limit to Iverson. Just had to be there for the start and we all went up in waves. (Plenty of time.) For Preston, it seemed like a lot of time as well.(30 minutes?) Even hung out with Joel at the road crossing for a while to watch people wipe out at the flat corner before the roccky section. Yeah, it was pretty funny like he told me it would be.... People can't ride a flat curve I guess...

mtbr member
    Wow, I don't think I can make the make the summit in 30 minutes, that's a bit faster than I can climb. Oh well, keep trying
    Tarekith.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast