mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Tiger Mountain trails

Hi folks,

Can anyone shed some light on the Tiger Mountain trails for mountain biking?

Driving by, there's always a full parking lot of trails, and most people seem to be taking bikes off their cars and I see a lot of bike racks. Most appear to be mountain bikers.

Looking online, I see there are three trails open. So are all of these folks really on the three trails? Or do a lot of people ride the fire roads (double tracks) for mountain biking?

Are there any good maps that show where we can ride - both single track and double tracks?

Appreciate it...looking forward to heading up there in the future, but wanting to know where to go first.

mtbr member
    Here's a trail map. Trail:Tiger Mountain - Evergreen Trail Guide

Most people are going to be riding the fire road to a T and going left for the Preston Railroad trail Which connects to northwest timber with another short fireroad ride, currently. At the same T you can go right and continue to climb to get to the East summit trail which connects to Preston. You can also access the lower parking lot and take Iverson to the road and climb to the top on the fire road to get to the two previously mentioned trails.

mtbr member
    Trail:Tiger Mountain - Evergreen Trail Guide

Doh, beat me to it by 20 seconds.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    You can also get a high quallity (old school) map at Green Trail Maps - Home, also sold at REI. Tiger mountian/ Taylor mountain #204s Tayior mountain is open to bikes too but its not as good as Tiger.The east tiger trail was moved last year so it might not be on greentrails yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Technically we don't have "fire roads" in western Washington, they are logging or mining roads.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials View Post
    Technically we don't have "fire roads" in western Washington, they are logging or mining roads.
    Or anywhere else in the PNW...logging, mining, forest roads. Irks the heck out of me, too.

I never saw the term "fire road" until SoCal based MBA came along.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I see the previous post to yours Shiggy was deleted..

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    FWIW, they are colloquially called fire roads on the east coast as well.

That said, the layout of PNW roads is definitely for logging.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    In the Midwest we called them fire roads too
    Tarekith.com

builder
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Or anywhere else in the PNW...logging, mining, forest roads. Irks the heck out of me, too.

As one who has used them for their designed purpose (logging) the term "fire road" is a puzzling enigma. Not too many fires in Western Washington that would require a road network, unlike SoCal which is always burning down. They can keep their fires....and roads too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I call them fire roads because fire access is an ongoing reason to justify their existence, where logging roads no longer need to exist once the logging operation has been completed. Then the anti-road enviros step in and start requesting the forest service decommision all of the roads that are no longer needed, which restricts our use of the roads for mountain biking. I don't mind if they decommision them to singletrack, but a lot of times they try to make them go away altogether and then there are less roads for us to use.

I'm from Montana where we used to call them logging roads when I was little...not sure what they call them today now that there isn't nearly enough of that going on.

Regardless, please focus on my original question rather than debating the term fire road. From this thread, is sounds like the majority of the cars parked have people riding on the three traisl? Is that enough room for everyone or does it get crowded?

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling_engineer View Post
    From this thread, is sounds like the majority of the cars parked have people riding on the three trails? Is that enough room for everyone or does it get crowded?
    Yes, most everybody's parked for those three trails.

Yes, it's room enough on the trails (although the lots can fill up.)

Yes, it gets crowded relative to the solitude of outback riding. But not crowded like Duthie.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Nice weather weekends in the summer can be pretty busy up there, but the trails don't get too bad in terms of crowds. Getting out there early or later in the afternoon is your best bet if you want to avoid most of the people.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Regardless, please focus on my original question rather than debating the term fire road. From this thread, is sounds like the majority of the cars parked have people riding on the three traisl? Is that enough room for everyone or does it get crowded?
    Welcome to the neighborhood. You sound like you have a bright future in local Mountain bike trail access lobbying.

Tiger offers a Touch of true wilderness with a driving distance that is accessible to the working class of Metro Seattle after a day at the office. Overuse yes, better places to go if you have time to drive, certainly. Still the best thing offered for an after work in the woods ride.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tiger takes the same time to get to as Duthie if your coming from the west on I90. Food for thought next time your trying to find a place to park.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Tiger Mountain trails

I call them fire roads because fire access is an ongoing reason to justify their existence, where logging roads no longer need to exist once the logging operation has been completed. Then the anti-road enviros step in and start requesting the forest service decommision all of the roads that are no longer needed, which restricts our use of the roads for mountain biking. I don't mind if they decommision them to singletrack, but a lot of times they try to make them go away altogether and then there are less roads for us to use.

I'm from Montana where we used to call them logging roads when I was little...not sure what they call them today now that there isn't nearly enough of that going on.

OK, there are no fire roads open to mtb (or any other) use in the PNW. None.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common