mtbr member

Tiger Mountain tomorrow (Sunday)...rideable?

Tonight...Cloudy with a chance of snow flurries. Lows 25 to 30. Northwest wind near 10 mph becoming southeast 10 mph or less after midnight.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy in the morning with a chance of snow flurries south part. Mostly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the 30s. Northeast wind to 10 mph.

Sunday Night...Mostly clear. Lows 15 to 22. Southeast wind to 10 mph.
    Is there still snow up top? Has anyone been up this weekend. I guess there will be flurries tonight, showing temp at 32.2 degrees currently.

Thanks
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

squish is good
    It's closed to bikes in the winter.

From the EMBA wiki - The trails are closed seasonally from October 15 to April 15
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was thinking of sticking to the fire roads...

I wonder, any other rides open this time of year that you would recommend. I need a change from the local trails (olympia).

Good Winter trails:
    http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p...d_Winter_Areas

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    Yeah, I was thinking:

Depending on conditions, any other West Side riding you might recommend?
    Those are closed too... read down a bit on the previous link.

Tiger Mountain is now officially closed for the season. The DNR asks that you please respect the closure date. Weather permitting, it will open again in April 2009. Evergreen will be leading work parties there throughout the winter. Stay tuned for more details.

There is always Tapeworm, Tolt, Cap Forest, Colonnade. There are lots of options besides Tiger, check out the EMBA link.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bored with Cap Forest?

I didn't know that could be possible with the hundred or so miles of open trails out there.
    In that area, Green Mountain, Tahuya, and Lake Sawyer are probably the closest. Or, go check out the new goings on out on the Kitsap at Newberry, etc.

But, the winter ones on the list are all pretty good currently that I've heard.

mtbr member
    THe fire roads on Tiger are not closed, only the trails.

Bob
    Fortune sides with him who dares. Vergil

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nick59349 speaks the truth. Roads are open all year around. Trails close seasonally.
    Lots of other places to get decent fitness climbs in as well.

Rode Cherry Valley this morning in the snow. Good times. Report w/ pictures coming soon.

squish is good
    Hmm, you said Preston RR and something else earlier, sorry didn't realize you were just talking about the roads.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Hmm, you said Preston RR and something else earlier, sorry didn't realize you were just talking about the roads.
    yeah Preston RR sounded like an old railway bed to me, thought it was sorta like a fire road. I ended up doing Cap Forest anyway. Explored a bit too much and discovered how it feels to hike a bike for 30 minutes in mud and brambles trying to ford a stream. Thankfully a tangle of 5-6 very large trees allowed passage to the other side.

squish is good
    yeah Preston RR sounded like an old railway bed to me, thought it was sorta like a fire road. I ended up doing Cap Forest anyway. Explored a bit too much and discovered how it feels to hike a bike for 30 minutes in mud and brambles trying to ford a stream. Thankfully a tangle of 5-6 very large trees allowed passage to the other side.
    Hah, nice, I stuck to Colonnade and got my jump on all day. Managed to only eat it once, I'm gonna have a nice bruise on my right shoulder blade for a couple days, totally worth it .
    Bike good, work bad.

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    I was up hiking W Tiger 3 on Friday and could see that W Tiger 1 was covered with snow. If that's the case, there's almost no doubt the final road up to E Tiger summit is gonna have snow as well.

I rode Cap back in early Oct (first day of hunting season ) and it was a mudfest then, , , and that stuff isn't just any kind of mud either, it is part wood glue I think.

You could've gone to Tolt or Tokul for open single track around Carnation or saved some driving by riding out of Black Diamond. . .

BTW, there's a few miles of single track along either side of Rainier Rd on Ft Lewis just past Spurgeon Ck Rd, plus a weeks worth of fire roads right there as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0