Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Tiger Mountain loop mileage?

Do any of you happen know the actual mileage (and elevation) for the Tiger Mountain loop?
    -road climb - Summit Trail - PRT - road climb - Fully Rigid - Joy Ride - Timberline

What about the mileage for:
    Timberline - Joy Ride road climb - Silent Swamp - road - Fully Rigid - Joy Ride - Timberline

...and what if you add PRT and Summit Trail to the latter?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    Do any of you happen know the actual mileage (and elevation) for the Tiger Mountain loop?
    -road climb - Summit Trail - PRT - road climb - Fully Rigid - Joy Ride - Timberline=mi.13

What about the mileage for:
    Timberline - Joy Ride road climb - Silent Swamp - road - Fully Rigid - Joy Ride - Timberline=9mi.

...and what if you add PRT and Summit Trail to the latter?

Thanks!
    13mi. & 9mi.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    13mi. & 9mi.
    Thanks for that.
    Maybe I should GPS or Strava or something...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Real men include iverson

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Real men are ok with skipping Iverson.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    In a few weeks the tiger loop will work out to something like 18-19 miles and 3500 feet of climbing. That's omitting Iverson.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmmm. Up to the summit, down East Tiger Summit to Preston, road back to summit (or East Summit crossing), down to Off the Grid, down Off the Grid to Fully Rigid, out Silent Swamp, back up to Fully Rigid on the Connector Road, down Fully Rigid/Joyride and out NW Timber?

I'm ok with skipping going down Preston RR, but maybe going up it instead is worthwhile.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Oh you'll need PRT but only to PBR. Besides it'll be more fun.

EMBA Member
    Is PBR open? Last work party/shuttle that was the one that I worked on. I want to go see my rock. Slim

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Iverson is highly underrated, especially the switchback part. I agree with nickn need to do PRT.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Very close to being done, Slim. Your rock is still in its humble angle of repose and I've made use of it once or twice while building up there.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    Very close to being done, Slim. Your rock is still in its humble angle of repose and I've made use of it once or twice while building up there.
    Thanks for the information my friend. You have made my day. I really liked sitting there looking at the view through the trees. Slim

I should be out riding
    Indeed. Best trail out there, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    Iverson is highly underrated, especially the switchback part. I agree with nickn need to do PRT.

I5Troll
    Added rough mileage to the 2014 trail map:

Tiger Mountain loop mileage?-tiger2014withmileage.jpg

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Up the road, down ETS, Preston, up the road to FR, then down SS, back up the road to FR, down FR/JR and out NWT was 17.6 miles, 3200' of fun, fun, fun.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Tiger near United States | Times and Records | Strava

Need to man up and add Iverson the next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Continuing up Crossover to ETS doubles the fun (not the distance).

EMBA Member
    Where is Off The Grid going to run? I haven't seen that on any of the maps yet. Slim

I5Troll
    Slim, can't put it on the maps until it's officially open later this summer. But it will peel off of ETS after the road crossing and head all the way down to the top of Fully Rigid. An alternative to Preston.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    2014 is going to be a very good year on Tiger for trails. We might even make Borneo happy. Somehow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Slim, can't put it on the maps until it's officially open later this summer. But it will peel off of ETS after the road crossing and head all the way down to the top of Fully Rigid. An alternative to Preston.
    T minus three weeks

also did anyone read the press release this spring that said Tiger will be over 25 miles of trails when the system is fully done in a few years? This does not include any road connections. It will take a big ride up there to do them all when the planned trails up there are done. I'm guessing 40 miles and 9000K+ vert of very dynamic riding!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Looking at the topo map it looks like it could have some real nice down hill flow. Although I rode Preston this morning before work, thanks NickN, and it would be a shame to let all that nice work done to Preston go to waste. Sweet Job there guys who ever did it. It will be interesting to see how it stands the wet season. Slim

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Oh, I'm pretty sure the new work will hold up just fine in the wet. Glad you liked the option.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm such a slacker. I really need to get out there. I'm almost ashamed of myself for not having ridden it, and swore that this would be the year (summer is slipping by oh so quickly).

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Climb Preston, descend the new thing.

I'd much rather climb Preston than Crossover. I've done both. Crossover is pretty heinous.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I hadn't done crossover in a few years, and it really wasn't as bad as I remembered. With ETS trail it makes a great loop since there's no elevation loss on the road to get back to Preston (it used to be up crossover, down road to preston trail). Here's a fun 3h loop I like when I'm in the mood for a bigger Tiger ride.

strava link

EMBA Member
    Crossover Trail? Where is that one? I haven't seen that. Slim

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Crossover is not a trail, it's a road.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Crossover is not a trail, it's a road.
    Is that the road from the bottom of Preston to NW Timber or the road up to Fully Rigid? I am new at this so I ask a bunch of questions. I thank you all for your patience. Slim

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In the rest of the world they call it a trail, but we have high standards in the pnw. A road is a road!

It used to have quarry spalls, but now it's relatively smooth and not a bad way to get up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimL View Post
    Is that the road from the bottom of Preston to NW Timber or the road up to Fully Rigid? I am new at this so I ask a bunch of questions. I thank you all for your patience. Slim
    the road up to Fully Rigid...and Beyond!!!
    breezy shade

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I haven't ridden it in a while. I remember the death cookies and the ridiculous grade.

Yes, Crossover's the one that parallels Preston. It might change name for the section that goes to NW Timber, but that's what you're on riding to the top of Fully Rigid. If you kept going, you'd end up at the Summit.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Crossover road is so F'd right now, so much lose big gravel. Trail crew work trucks do a number on it all week. Go back up Preston if your trying to get back to the top.

The Eastside road is the one from Preston to Timber which is a pointless rd for MTBing now that the new trails are in!!!

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    The stoke meter just climbed a couple notches tonight. But very few are finding the "hidden" jem and seeing the signs.......

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    The stoke meter just climbed a couple notches tonight. But very few are finding the "hidden" jem and seeing the signs.......
    Now Nick, don't give away all the good secrets. Although the signs weren't even up when I was there. Passed the Sign Placer coming up as I was going down.
    Slim

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome work on PBR! Really fun! Although it leaves off some fun from Preston it leaves enough gas in the tank for us mortals to hit Silent Swamp and come back up to Fully Rigid again. 16 miles/2900' with roads going to the Summit, ETS, PRT, PBR, FR, SS, FR, JR, NWT. woot-woot!

Talked to at least a dozen folks at the summit about all the good stuff going on at Tiger. A few who had no idea of the stuff coming along the I-90 corridor. Told folks about the new trail guide as some mentioned looking for maps, so the stoke is spreading.

OTG sounds like it's going to be a blast as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    Awesome work on PBR! Really fun! Although it leaves off some fun from Preston it leaves enough gas in the tank for us mortals to hit Silent Swamp and come back up to Fully Rigid again. 16 miles/2900' with roads going to the Summit, ETS, PRT, PBR, FR, SS, FR, JR, NWT. woot-woot!
    So happy to hear someone is riding things the right way!

But I think doing NWT to JR via upper cut in, to SS, then up Preston part way up to, PBR, Crossover to ETS, then all the way to bottom of Preston to hit the rd, to FR, JR and NWT with a little Iverson happy ending is the mans, man route right now.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Yea, that would put some hair on your chest. After riding in the truck with Katie up Crossover I haven't exactly been jumping to try that. That's steep.

Heard chainsaws and then saw Peter P. coming down. Is he working on the climbing trail or something else?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My next task is to build an up trail from the corner where the steep crap starts. It will be on the downhill side of the rd. Once that is done then it will be a great route!! It's will be ready at the begging of next "season".

I'll be doing a mega Tiger ride is Sept that hits all the trails! Once OTG is open thing will get extra crazy up there for man size loops.

mtbr member
    Today we rode ETS-PRT-PBR-FR-SS-Crossover-FR-JR-NWT.
    My bike computer had that route at about 16 miles. Next time Im thinking of doing all of PRT, crossover to FR-SS, then up Preston to PBR, and then continue that the FR-JR-NWT.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    Heard chainsaws and then saw Peter P. coming down. Is he working on the climbing trail or something else?

So many good things on the horizon...
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My riding partner had an ACL rebuilt recently and is still not 100%. We're both new to riding in the area & wondering with current conditions what would be the most non technical route to the summit? We're thinking about doing Main Tiger Mt Road Climb since it sounds like Crossover is in bad shape. We're looking forward to trying the new trails on the way down!

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    That would be the road to the summit. 4 mile climb, some of it pretty steep and could be hard on a knee, but also walk-able.

If you go to the summit and do the regular route your looking at a 13 mile ride, so be sure he's ready for that. You could also stay low and get a 10 miles ride in with less climbing and hit all of the new stuff.

The next post in this thread from mwestra2 has a map with mileage.

If the weather doesn't get worse we'll be out there tonight at 5:30.
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    The main road climb to the summit is in pretty good shape. The Crossover road from Preston to Fully Rigid was fine too.

All trails were in great shape Sunday, with less dust than I expected. The rain we just got should help and I bet the trails are running really nice now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No love for riding up Fully Rigid ?

I5Troll

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    No love for riding up Fully Rigid ?
    Given what I've seen expert riders do on a bike, I've stopped saying "that can't be possible", but has anyone cleaned this trail in an uphill direction? Seems like there are a couple spots that would be tough for anyone - that V shaped tree not much before the bottom for example. There's no space to gain momentum, and there's no room left to right to try to swing through it somehow.

mtbr member
    I personally think Fully Rigid should be a one way trail, atleast on weekends. It has tight technical spots that are totally blind and nearly impossible to stop or pull over on.

I've ridden up Fully Rigid (with lights on a Wednesday night) and thought it was a fun challenge, but with the traffic Tiger gets on a nice day it seems like it would be asking for trouble.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I like how you are all excited about a new trail labeled "bail out" that effectively eliminates singletrack from your ride.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trees4me View Post
    I like how you are all excited about a new trail labeled "bail out" that effectively eliminates singletrack from your ride.
    Sure it removes some mileage, but not much. It does eliminate additional road mileage. For some that's more of a win. Or if doing the lower loop, PBR actually adds single track. Either way there's an option for those that want it. See it that way rather than as a negative.

mtbr member
    I look at it as a way to ADD singletrack mileage. Just give more "loop" options!
    Down Preston, up crossover to Fully Rigid, down Silent Swamp, up Preston to PBR, then back to Fully Rigid-Joy Ride- NWT.

Or NWT-JR-SS-lower Preston-PBR-FR-JR-NWT if you want to stay at lower elevation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast