Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger mountain

mtbr member

Tiger mountain

Had anyone heard about the the new east tiger summit trail being ready for prime time for opening season this Sunday?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That trail is not going to be ready quite yet. There's been a lot of snow and wintery weather up there that has slowed things down.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response, so how about the regular Preston trail? will we be able to ride that this Sunday?

thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As far as we know DNR is planning to open the trail on the 14th, but that has not yet been officially confirmed. More info about the opening date, as well as the potential impacts of some road work happening up there, will be posted soon.

I should be out riding

I didn't do it
    DNR to open Tiger Mountain State Forest seasonal mountain bike trails

Tiger Mountain opens this weekend. Woohoo that means I'll be at Tokul!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's gonna be a zoo....

Edit: Maybe there may be a free parking space at Doofie though....

Last word is all yours...
    I don't think there is a big overlap between the Duthie-only crowd and the Tiger-only crowd.
    --
    -bp

I5Troll
    Don't forget... work parties going on at both Tiger and Duthie on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode Timberline to Preston and back @ 3:30 today (opening day) and only saw a couple of riders even though the parking lot was full. Seems to have been a pretty huge clean-up for both trails, lot's of downed trees cut and dragged off the trails. Also impressed with the rock work to harden some of the wetter sections of Preston, hero type efforts there for sure!

mtbr member
    Out standing, I'll be hitting it up tomorrow morning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was good to climb Preston and look at the new work on the way up, some clever trail mason has featured in a few nice rock booters for the trip down ;-)

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Was just there. I guess I'd have known if I read this thread before I went, but the last piece of road from Crossover to the summit has a lot of snow on it still. I didn't try to get through it - several inches deep, and across the whole road.

Also, a shoutout to whoever worked on the last bit of Iverson, near the parking lot. Nice flow!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Conditions reports

As others have said, it's in very good riding condition right now. Perhaps the best I've seen for opening weekend. Despite the lot being full when I got there at 2:30, I saw only 6 other riders across all three main trails while I was there.

Conditions report here. Summary:

Iverson is in great shape - 95% dry, 5% tacky. Also, the lower half (CW) has been rebuilt into a more "flowy" style, like the lower section of Bootcamp at Duthie Hill. This means it's much faster and smoother, but also has gone from being quite technical to non-technical.

Preston is in great shape as well, very dry and clean for this early in the season after such a wet winter. There are a few scenic patches of snow off the trail at the upper TH. The usual few places with flowing clear water & puddles, but otherwise very good.

NW Timber in the best shape I've ever seen it; no water anywhere. Recent trailwork has completely resolved any hydro-problems as far as I can see.
    --
    -bp

Moist and Delicious
    So, with Iverson (fathand) they took out the rocky/tech end, and smoothed it out??
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Yes, a good chunk of it (but not all - maybe not even most) is now buff. I won't editorialize about the change yet, but I will say it's very different from the Iverson a.k.a Fat Hand trail of last season and prior.
    --
    -bp

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I liked the new section of Iverson. It's not that much of it, and I wasn't much of a fan of the old part. Although, I assumed the reroute was more to do with erosion control than anything else.

While I think the overall Tiger experience has been getting easier since I first rode it a few years ago, it's definitely also feeling more mature, for lack of a better word. I know that when trails hold water or it runs across them, it generally means erosion problems. So I'm very much okay with the work that's being done on Preston and I'm inclined to trust that work on Iverson is being done to make it more sustainable, not less interesting.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dumb question, but is there a better direction to go on Iverson? I have only ridden it once because I started up to Preston on the wrong road and had to cut over. That was a few years ago and can't remember which direction is better. Is it better to go from Timber to Iverson and then back down to the parking lot?

Not a dumb question at all. I've done it both ways and "better" is a matter of personal taste. I prefer all the trails there CW because I prefer loops over OABs and prefer climbing a road over descending one. I think with the new flowy section at the bottom, it makes more sense to ride it CW because the flowy section is more downhill (direction, not riding style) -oriented.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Ride, I agree 100%. I would rather take 40 minutes of pain to climb 3.2 miles compared to riding 8 miles to the top of Preston. So I assume that means you should use Iverson as a connector once you come out of Timber, and then take the other road down to the parking lot?

Although, if there are that many changes on Preston, riding up it once or twice may not be a bad idea to scope out those new booters.

I pretty much always start with Iverson CW (up road, down trail), then climb up to Preston via the road and do Preston to Timber to my car. I think this route will be even better after the new trails are in.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sounds like a plan, thanks. Nice to get a good warm up trail and get your heart warmed up before getting punished. I have heard talks about linking Preston and Timber together to bypass the road. Is this something in the plans?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    I have heard talks about linking Preston and Timber together to bypass the road. Is this something in the plans?
    Sure is - take a look here (Advocacy Information - New Trails).
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great, can't wait. I have read that thread, but missed that small blurb. Now if we can have a trail flow all the way into Issaquah, that would really be tremendous!

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Great, can't wait. I have read that thread, but missed that small blurb. Now if we can have a trail flow all the way into Issaquah, that would really be tremendous!
    Such a thing exists now, just need access to them. These guys are dead set against it though. Outdoors | Issaquah hiking club aims to get edgier, hipper — and younger | Seattle Times Newspaper

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Notice in the article picture they are hiking off trail and straight up the fall line... Nice job there....

Probably short cutting a pesky switchback. Where's the DNR when you need them?

I didn't do it
    Interesting article. A couple passages stick out.

One is the opening line: "Despite its adventurous name, the Issaquah Alps Trails Club looks more like your local Lions Club." and the second is: "But this isn't the Issaquah Alps Trails Club for the Ben-Gay generation, at least not anymore, club members say.
    This month, the club rolls out a series of "long, strenuous" day hikes during spring and summer to draw people who've grown up during the Facebook age and like to spend weekends camping or mountain biking."

Hey IATC give me a ring when you reach the 21st century.

mtbr member
    A group of us did Tiger last night. The logging road climb was compact and easy to ride and PRR was a river like I expected. 3 of the switchbacks had 1ft deep rivers down the middle, and the others were pretty wet too. There was very little mud though, mostly just water. NW Timber trail was is pretty good shape with very few puddles or slick section. Overall it was a good ride, but I am thankful I brought a change of clothes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    A group of us did Tiger last night. The logging road climb was compact and easy to ride and PRR was a river like I expected. 3 of the switchbacks had 1ft deep rivers down the middle, and the others were pretty wet too. There was very little mud though, mostly just water. NW Timber trail was is pretty good shape with very few puddles or slick section. Overall it was a good ride, but I am thankful I brought a change of clothes!
    We were right in front of you, man we were soaked! There was one spot where I think my rotor got in the water!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I typically ride Iverson CCW then over to out and back NW Timber this time of year. I don't touch Preston until mid to late June at the earliest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Any DH stull on Tiger?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jharvey View Post
    Any DH stull on Tiger?
    You can't shuttle it. Still want to know?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jharvey View Post
    Yep
    Shuttle? To where, Iverson?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nobody knows nuthin' about no DH....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Nobody knows nuthin' about no DH....
    Nice...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroDoug View Post
    out and back NW Timber this time of year. I don't touch Preston until mid to late June at the earliest.
    That used to be a reasonable approach, but with the extensive work they've done in the last few years on Preston, it's actually more sustainable than the current condition of NW Timber especially after the last logout.
    It's flip-flopped, as far as typical conditions.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorta related ...
    Is there's a way to link from Tiger Summit TH to town of Preston?
    Curious if the Fire road off RD 7500 connects (into Preston), and a possible E traverse of Tiger -> into Preston - and eventually Issaquah.

If so, I might just have found a sweet 'commute" route into work!!
    Thanks
    ericinissi

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ericinissi View Post
    Sorta related ...
    Is there's a way to link from Tiger Summit TH to town of Preston?
    Curious if the Fire road off RD 7500 connects (into Preston), and a possible E traverse of Tiger -> into Preston - and eventually Issaquah.

If so, I might just have found a sweet 'commute" route into work!!
    Thanks
    ericinissi
    Yep. When I used to work at Ride Snowboards in Preston, we used to do that connector up to the PRT and back at lunch. Head up the road south from the off ramp and go left and just past the trailer park as you are climbing there is an easement that gets into a drainage. Hike yer bike out of that and climb the old road bed to the the logging road and go left. In about 100 yards, you will come out at the road intersection at the bottom of the PRT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Also, lower half of Artifacts is logged out, and the top tech trail from the towers has been fully de-commisioned ( a LOT of work put into that).

Also I didn't do the trailwork so I can't complain but I really hate how they ruined the end of Iverson. Note that they also shortened it a few thousand feet and took out some up hill tech as well. That section that used to be a fun end to the ride is now boring boring boring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Also, lower half of Artifacts is logged out, and the top tech trail from the towers has been fully de-commisioned ( a LOT of work put into that).

Also I didn't do the trailwork so I can't complain but I really hate how they ruined the end of Iverson. Note that they also shortened it a few thousand feet and took out some up hill tech as well. That section that used to be a fun end to the ride is now boring boring boring.
    Are you talking about all of the trees that were cut and thrown all over the trail? What a disappointment that is.

I didn't do it
    I hear ya, but at least the upper tech is still there. I was worried that was taken out as well during the "improvements." My positive spin on the lower is that at least there's a couple of fun rollers, weeeeee!

mtbr member
    I fear the powers that be want to convert Iverson to even more of a NW timber trail...with the next step...no bikes allowed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Clockwise

As I recall riding Iverson clockwise last time it felt like I was going the wrong way. There were some pretty nice log drops that I missed going that way, that looked fun if you were headed CCW.

I also don't really see how you could run CW with Iverson being your first ride out of the parking lot.

I have tried that, and went out Iverson up the TMT then hiked over the (hiker only summit), then back down to Preston and gone down. That sucked....

My normal run is just to climb the fire road up to preston and drop down preston ride the fire road to Timber then accross timber back to Iverson , across Iverson back to the fireroad then down hill back to the lot.

That way though still feels like we are running Iverson the wrong way.

Am I doing some thing wrong here or missing a better loop?

P.S. So what is the word on the summit trail they are adding. (Evergreen)

Has anyone come down that yet?

mtbr member
    I do it pretty much like you, except I ride the FS road to the top of Iverson and come down that at the end.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We were up to the top of East Tiger a couple of days ago and the new trails are not yet in evidence, even though I had heard that the new, machine-built trail from the summit is basically done. I expect that the powers-that-be (PTB) will get it, along with the rest of the trail that is hand-built, open this summer though.

Here's a map of the plan: File:ETigerSummitMapPlan.jpeg - Evergreen Trail Guide

And here, mwestra2's post about the new trails: New Trail on Tiger! WP on Saturday

I5Troll

Quick update on the plan

We were snowed out of every planned work party until a few weeks ago, so we're behind schedule.

Latest goal: Open E tiger Trail ReRoute (from road down to top of Preston) by end of July. Open new E Tiger Summit portion (from towers down to road) by end Aug. Of course that all depends on how many volunteers we get, but I'm confident our awesome community will step up! We're working out the Spring/Summer/Fall WP schedule right now and will be posting it on the Evergreen calendar ASAP.

In parallel with that effort, work will start on the re-routed Silent Swamp trail to connect the bottom of Preston with the top of NW Timber. 2 bridges will be helicoptered in this summer and we'll start machine work in late summer / early Fall.

That's all bi-directional XC trail. It's going to start out buff, but will root up & gnarl up a bit over time. It won't (as in will not) be kept buff like Duthie's Bootcamp and StepItUp.

THEN... we may also be able to start working on more gnarly DH. Some starting at the level of the old Iverson gnarl that was re-routed (long explanation of that situation here: WTA @ Tiger, Iverson). But more at the level of difficulty of the old poached trails.

Obvious to most, but may come as a surprise to others... we can't have legit trail that is built and routed like the old ETT. It survived because almost nobody hiked it and only a few riders poached it. If we opened it up to the Tiger masses in it's former condition the swamp sections would grow and many of the steeps would turn into Reiter Pit sized erosion ruts.

New fall line sections on DH trails will be armored with rock where available and/or be routed through heavily rooted lines around those huge old growth stumps. As they rotted over the decades, the new Hemlock and Silver Firs' roots attacked!

As I mentioned in the old post above, the future for mt bikers at Tiger could be awesome! But if you want it to stay the way it was (i.e. trail connected by logging roads and poaching hiking trails), you're not going to be happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post

That's all bi-directional XC trail. It's going to start out buff, but will root up & gnarl up a bit over time. It won't (as in will not) be kept buff like Duthie's Bootcamp and StepItUp.
    Sounds like some pre-last work party Paradise valley root gnarl. I like it...

Obvious to most, but may come as a surprise to others... we can't have legit trail that is built and routed like the old ETT. It survived because almost nobody hiked it and only a few riders poached it. If we opened it up to the Tiger masses in it's former condition the swamp sections would grow and many of the steeps would turn into Reiter Pit sized erosion ruts.
    That was the trail I made the mistake of hiking up. There was a guy at the top walking his dog and he mentioned he saw downhillers going down the trail I had just come up. I can see why it had certainly been ridden and there were some gnarly drops.

As I mentioned in the old post above, the future for mt bikers at Tiger could be awesome! But if you want it to stay the way it was (i.e. trail connected by logging roads and poaching hiking trails), you're not going to be happy.
    Everything you have said sounds amazing to me. Now if you can keep it open year round I will buy you lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyeII View Post
    As I recall riding Iverson clockwise last time it felt like I was going the wrong way. [...] My normal run is just to [...] then accross timber back to Iverson , across Iverson back to the fireroad then down hill back to the lot.

That way though still feels like we are running Iverson the wrong way.

[...]

Am I doing some thing wrong here or missing a better loop?
    I swear I've said this before somewhere, but there is no right way to do Iverson.

I do it CW as my first ride every time, but I've done it both ways. The new "ending" of Iverson further suggests it as a CW trail.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyeII View Post
    I also don't really see how you could run CW with Iverson being your first ride out of the parking lot.
    Just go up the road on the left/west, come down Iverson from the "top", then over to the road up to Preston, ...
    --
    -bp

bent
    Rode Tiger yesterday and its really dried out since I rode it a couple weekends ago. Not only that but it was probably the most crowded and chaotic I've ever seen it. Lower lot full and 80% of the upper lot was packed. Dogs and hikers everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast