Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tiger mountain

mtbr member

Tiger mountain

Had anyone heard about the the new east tiger summit trail being ready for prime time for opening season this Sunday?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That trail is not going to be ready quite yet. There's been a lot of snow and wintery weather up there that has slowed things down.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response, so how about the regular Preston trail? will we be able to ride that this Sunday?

thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As far as we know DNR is planning to open the trail on the 14th, but that has not yet been officially confirmed. More info about the opening date, as well as the potential impacts of some road work happening up there, will be posted soon.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

I didn't do it
    DNR to open Tiger Mountain State Forest seasonal mountain bike trails

Tiger Mountain opens this weekend. Woohoo that means I'll be at Tokul!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's gonna be a zoo....

Edit: Maybe there may be a free parking space at Doofie though....

Last word is all yours...
    I don't think there is a big overlap between the Duthie-only crowd and the Tiger-only crowd.
    --
    -bp

I5Troll
    Don't forget... work parties going on at both Tiger and Duthie on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode Timberline to Preston and back @ 3:30 today (opening day) and only saw a couple of riders even though the parking lot was full. Seems to have been a pretty huge clean-up for both trails, lot's of downed trees cut and dragged off the trails. Also impressed with the rock work to harden some of the wetter sections of Preston, hero type efforts there for sure!

mtbr member
    Out standing, I'll be hitting it up tomorrow morning!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was good to climb Preston and look at the new work on the way up, some clever trail mason has featured in a few nice rock booters for the trip down ;-)

Fat-tired Roadie
    Was just there. I guess I'd have known if I read this thread before I went, but the last piece of road from Crossover to the summit has a lot of snow on it still. I didn't try to get through it - several inches deep, and across the whole road.

Also, a shoutout to whoever worked on the last bit of Iverson, near the parking lot. Nice flow!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Conditions reports

As others have said, it's in very good riding condition right now. Perhaps the best I've seen for opening weekend. Despite the lot being full when I got there at 2:30, I saw only 6 other riders across all three main trails while I was there.

Conditions report here. Summary:

Iverson is in great shape - 95% dry, 5% tacky. Also, the lower half (CW) has been rebuilt into a more "flowy" style, like the lower section of Bootcamp at Duthie Hill. This means it's much faster and smoother, but also has gone from being quite technical to non-technical.

Preston is in great shape as well, very dry and clean for this early in the season after such a wet winter. There are a few scenic patches of snow off the trail at the upper TH. The usual few places with flowing clear water & puddles, but otherwise very good.

NW Timber in the best shape I've ever seen it; no water anywhere. Recent trailwork has completely resolved any hydro-problems as far as I can see.
    --
    -bp

Moist and Delicious
    So, with Iverson (fathand) they took out the rocky/tech end, and smoothed it out??
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Yes, a good chunk of it (but not all - maybe not even most) is now buff. I won't editorialize about the change yet, but I will say it's very different from the Iverson a.k.a Fat Hand trail of last season and prior.
    --
    -bp

Fat-tired Roadie
    I liked the new section of Iverson. It's not that much of it, and I wasn't much of a fan of the old part. Although, I assumed the reroute was more to do with erosion control than anything else.

While I think the overall Tiger experience has been getting easier since I first rode it a few years ago, it's definitely also feeling more mature, for lack of a better word. I know that when trails hold water or it runs across them, it generally means erosion problems. So I'm very much okay with the work that's being done on Preston and I'm inclined to trust that work on Iverson is being done to make it more sustainable, not less interesting.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dumb question, but is there a better direction to go on Iverson? I have only ridden it once because I started up to Preston on the wrong road and had to cut over. That was a few years ago and can't remember which direction is better. Is it better to go from Timber to Iverson and then back down to the parking lot?

Not a dumb question at all. I've done it both ways and "better" is a matter of personal taste. I prefer all the trails there CW because I prefer loops over OABs and prefer climbing a road over descending one. I think with the new flowy section at the bottom, it makes more sense to ride it CW because the flowy section is more downhill (direction, not riding style) -oriented.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Ride, I agree 100%. I would rather take 40 minutes of pain to climb 3.2 miles compared to riding 8 miles to the top of Preston. So I assume that means you should use Iverson as a connector once you come out of Timber, and then take the other road down to the parking lot?

Although, if there are that many changes on Preston, riding up it once or twice may not be a bad idea to scope out those new booters.

I pretty much always start with Iverson CW (up road, down trail), then climb up to Preston via the road and do Preston to Timber to my car. I think this route will be even better after the new trails are in.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sounds like a plan, thanks. Nice to get a good warm up trail and get your heart warmed up before getting punished. I have heard talks about linking Preston and Timber together to bypass the road. Is this something in the plans?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    I have heard talks about linking Preston and Timber together to bypass the road. Is this something in the plans?
    Sure is - take a look here (Advocacy Information - New Trails).
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great, can't wait. I have read that thread, but missed that small blurb. Now if we can have a trail flow all the way into Issaquah, that would really be tremendous!

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Great, can't wait. I have read that thread, but missed that small blurb. Now if we can have a trail flow all the way into Issaquah, that would really be tremendous!
    Such a thing exists now, just need access to them. These guys are dead set against it though. Outdoors | Issaquah hiking club aims to get edgier, hipper — and younger | Seattle Times Newspaper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast