mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thorp Mt. Deathmarch Jr. (tomorrow)

If you are a strong enough rider to do this one then chances are you are not sitting there on a Friday before an August weekend waiting to be asked to the prom, but just in case you are, a crew is meeting at Preston P&R at 8am tomorrow to get up to Thorp lake. This is going up the Kachess trail and then proceeding north, there will be pushing, and probably 7+ hour day, but gorgeous views and great swimming if the weather cooperates. I'll be in a black Dodge Ram with canopy, I can't guarantee a ride it depends on our configuration how many cars will go.
    prestonmeg at frontier.com if you are interested.

It is called "Jr" because its a smaller day than shuttling to Kachess campground and working our way around the lake on the abandoned trail and then riding 4 miles of road to the start of No Name ridge. At least, I think its smaller.

Also, being an OAB you can bail at any time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wasn't going to do it but I had to come back and post what an epic ride this was. I'm not a photographer, sorry.

Five of us rode up Kachess Ridge which started the day with a fair bit of effort, and you have to trick your brain a bit when you stop at the top that your day is only just beginning. The climb was an interesting puzzle as the earth traction was excellent due to the wet loamy soil, but the roots and rocks were slick wet.
    We were in good sunshine most of the day, and after the initial climb its a combo of riding and pushing, but you really get into some nice mountain chasm views and there is some very exposed tricky sidehill single track as well.

Anyway after a few more hours we were swimming in the sunshine at Thorp lake.

Not an hour later the clouds were rolling over the top of us and streaming down the mountain sides, extremely dramatic and quite a thrill. Then we were ripping DH while the sky flashed behind us with lightning, I felt like a rock star !

Finally we pushed up the final ascent to the traditional Kachess ridge DH and started getting pelted with hailstones the size of our thumbnails (in AUGUST !) followed by tremendous rain. We waited it out and had a slick and exciting descent down Kachess.
    I remember going up the trail looking at the tread thinking, "wow, a lot of water runs down this trail". Yup.

Kudos to Graham and "slop" and Mire for the trail work last weekend I could see their effort.

Anyway, my few short paragraphs can't do it justice but it was just a dramatic, epic day on the bikes and I had to share. We were out there about 9.5 hours but that includes swimming and waiting out the rain and travelling at a group pace.

bro not pro
    Preston ... that's so beyond! Congrats to you and your crew. definitely an adventure to remember.
    Racing down the mountain from lightening, thunder and hail !
    G O N Z

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    This was a great ride. Out of the 3 times now that I've been on Noname ridge, this route was the best. Compared to the full deathmarch, DM Jr. is all singletrack, all of the trail has been maintained within the past decade, and it's not quite the full day commitment the full DM requires.