V-Shaped Rut

Thinking about getting a full suspension. Local demos? Deals?

Hey all. I currently have a Kona Raijin set up 1x10 (with a 42t rear 'granny') that I've been riding around primarily on tiger and grand ridge. As my rides are creeping up into the 15-30 mile range and my age into the 40 year range I'm finding myself thinking seriously about a full suspension. If I'm still getting a little beat up with a Ti/carbon bar/post hardtail it might be time. GR isn't such a big deal but the descents on tiger are pretty rough in spots at speed.

Any suggestions? I don't really think with a FS that I care for a 29er. Even on my HT I miss spinning them up fast over obstacles and my last FS (intense SS) was a 26er and felt just fine going downhill on tiger.

So.... I'm thinking 26 or 27.5, FS, 1x10, 2x10 or 1x11. XC or lighter trail style bike.

Whats local-ish to the eastside that I can demo? I know Gerks is a spesh dealer and it looks like spesh is full on into the 29er thing for XC bikes.

Or alternately, what are you riding that is similar and that you would recommend I go look at?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Both Santa Cruz and Giant jumped on the 27.5 bandwagon in 2013-14; I'd check them out at Kirkland Bicycle.

mtbr member
    Big Tree Bikes in Seattle is a Rocky Mountain dealer, they have great bikes built and designed for this area.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Transition Covert. Local, good people, solid bikes...

EMBA Member
    I demo'd a Rocky Mountain Altitude in early June. Very nice. Every Transition I've ridden was good, and I own a Santa Cruz, which to me is as good a bike as anything I've ever ridden. Seems like it is harder to find a bad bike these days than it used to be. Too bad the Duthie Hill event is behind us as that was a great opportunity to demo bikes, but it would be worth it to locate a demo event somewhere and make a long weekend out of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Special Ed (Specialized) - Woodinville Bike. Sounds like you would be shopping for a Camber.

Get 2*10 if you're planning on doing any mountain biking. I don't think any mid-market bikes will be coming with 1*11 anyway.

V-Shaped Rut
    ^^ Thats a 29er

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    Both Santa Cruz and Giant jumped on the 27.5 bandwagon in 2013-14; I'd check them out at Kirkland Bicycle.
    I did this. Demo'd a trance 1 today at tiger. Wow what a difference from my raijin! Previously I was picking my way through a lot of stuff on preston. Not only did I clear everything there, but I did it at speed. (Although there were some FAST guys up there I kept leapfrogging, pre-emptive humility lesson)

I got reminded that I'm a mountain biker, not a roadie with wider tires! So much fun.

The trance 1 is roughly the same cost as the SC 5010 al with a little bit better spec. Similar strengths and weaknesses I'd imagine too, with a lowish BB and front can wander on steeps (the talas set lower helped a LOT with that)

Got a little thinking to do now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My .02...skip the Talas. The new ones are supposed to be better, but I'd look long and hard at either the Rockshox Pike, or a Float w/o Talas. Talas breaks.... causes the shock to perform sub-optimally, and isn't that useful except on long dirt road climbs. Plus it adds cost. I converted my TALAS to just a Float, after it broke....and what a difference in performance (2014 Float Talas 32 150mm, for Ibis)

Nobody mentioned Ibis, I love love my Mojo SL-R and the HDR 650b is pretty magnificent with its 44mm wide OD rims... pretty close to the 5010 price wise.

Echoing others, the Transition guys make really durable bikes. I have a lot of friends on them. They aren't super light, but they just go and go.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I added a squishy bike to the stable this year. Couldn't pass on a deal on a BMC. The MSRP is crazy on them, but for 50% off at bc.com they're a pretty good value. Not local, but most of the local shops don't seem to care about my business or the mtb community anyway IMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1 for Woodinville Bikes. They carry Specialized and Giant, and will work with you to find the right bike.

V-Shaped Rut
    Just as an update I got a SC 5010 ordered, should be here next week!

I have had suggestions on the other forums here about avoiding the talas in favor of the revolution which I'll look at.