mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Is there any riding during the winter months?

I know it could be cold, rainy or muddy.

Are trails ridable, are they closed in winter?
    This in Seattle area.

EMBA Member
    I ride in the Seattle area year round - almost as much in the winter as the summer. Dress for the temp., what lots of places in the country call rain around here is just drizzle which isn't a problem. I get wetter from all the sweating than the rain. Many or most of the trails drain well, and improvements are constantly being made to improve drainage. In Seattle, if you won't ride when it is wet or a little cold, you won't ride for much of the year. There are some trails closed on a seasonal basis, and many great places to ride are closed due to the snow level, but fewer people ride in winter than summer, so what is available to ride is generally not too busy. Night riding is a plus. Gets dark pretty early.

mtbr member
    same here. My buddies and I ride Wednesday and Sunday year round. Lights and waterproof shoes and shorts help. Some wear waterproof jackets but i find i sweat a lot in them so i just wear layers.

There are times when it is really nasty out so we do trail work instead!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Year round rocks here in Seattle area. Buy yourself some merino wool, a good light (or two!) and some comfy shoes that fit thick wool socks and you're good to go. Night riding is great fun and key to enjoying the winters here.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is great news to me, it will be bad to stop riding for 3 months and start again, every year.
    Dont mind the wet or cold , just dress accordingly.

I have ridden in Florida, Michigan, Ohio, California, and Seattle .

Seattle has been my favorite area by far.
    The only thing I might miss from my local trails here is Costa Rica are the climbs which I enjoy and great downhills.

Are there some trails on the mountains east of Seattle?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve View Post
    Are there some trails on the mountains east of Seattle?
    Oh yeah.

Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    I ride all winter at PVCA. Recent trail work has eliminated most of the mud, but you will still end up a bit muddy. Even in near freezing temps, I wear a pair of tights over my bike shorts and while I start with a light coat I end up taking it off and riding with just a long sleeve shirt. Once the days get longer I love to go skiing and then get home in time for a ride.
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Fat-tired Roadie
    My teammate raved about our rain jersey, so I got one this year.

Pretty awesome. The stretch and durability are slightly off, but it's the most comfortable I've been while being rained on on a bike probably ever. And it's really good for the damp, chilly, non-rainy transitional stuff we get a lot. Really what I wish long-sleeved jerseys all were. Mine's based on Gore-tex softshell.

Though a wool base layer works very well too. It just wasn't a revelation.

A cycling cap helps a lot too. That and fenders mean less rain and spray hit my face.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    My teammate raved about our rain jersey, so I got one this year.

Pretty awesome. The stretch and durability are slightly off, but it's the most comfortable I've been while being rained on on a bike probably ever. And it's really good for the damp, chilly, non-rainy transitional stuff we get a lot. Really what I wish long-sleeved jerseys all were. Mine's based on Gore-tex softshell.
    Which jersey are you talking about?

Fat-tired Roadie
    The team I ride with gets Castelli. But Gore will sell to anyone who meets their design standards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve View Post
    This is great news to me, it will be bad to stop riding for 3 months ...
    3 Months? Funny. Apparently you haven't spent a winter here yet. The area is worth the weather though. Or better to say the weather here IS nice, even in winter. In a Washington sort of way.

gravity fighter
    Ha, yeah 6 months of Fall, 3 of Winter, and 3 of Sprummer.

V-Shaped Rut
    I agree about the winters here. It's super rare for it to actually get cold. It's mostly just drizzly. In the winter I ride duthie since it's forest covered. Grand ridge if it doesn't rain for a few days. At the worst if it's not pouring you can ride the tiger fireroad climb for fitness.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I count one or two months of winter, five months of summer, and five or six months of really dreary shoulder season.