Slothful dirt hippie

Teanaway, we love you....

Climbed to the top of the ridge again- NO snow anywhere on the trails, just a little slick here and there but hopefully weather this week will clean that up. Here's how the Teanaway is shaping up:

Teanaway, we love you....-teanawayap232013.jpg

She's just screaming for me to drop in and rumble around instead of going back to work.... but today I was a responsible adult.... *sigh*
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It won't be long.....

Too bad so many here have never experienced the awesomeness the 'way provides...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    The wife and I will be over on Friday. We are trying to decide between riding the Manastash Metric route on our road bikes, or taking the Mountain Bikes into the 'Way.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    The wife and I will be over on Friday. We are trying to decide between riding the Manastash Metric route on our road bikes, or taking the Mountain Bikes into the 'Way.
    Keep an eye on the weather, looks like we might be getting a front rolling in Friday/Sat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How high up is the snow line? I am hungry to get the KTM over there soon! Yellow Hill still snowed in I am guessing? Miller Peak?
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh yeah. The upper stuff will have snow until late June/early July as always. You may be able to braaaap around Ronald a little though or maybe the lower Taneum. Just don't chow that spring thaw up too much....

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    How high up is the snow line? I am hungry to get the KTM over there soon! Yellow Hill still snowed in I am guessing? Miller Peak?
    No moto trails open yet. Too much mud = damage. Best thing is to 'like' the Cle Elum ORV FB group and keep an eye on how things are clearing out, Mikki Douglass from the FS keeps everyone updated and organized very well there.

Usually lower Taneum are the first to open, and that should be only a few weeks away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Need ride details .

Is that this trail?
    Trail:Lower West Fork Teanaway - Evergreen Trail Guide

Any suggested routes (as the trail info is a little sparse).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You can see the River Ridge trail in the foreground and the West Fork is indeed behind that. The Frog Pond slab is about 2 o'clock. Sparse info could ba attributed to the maze of old roads/game trails in the valley. All routes are fun but if you really wanted a step by step, of any route, I think I may be able to do that. Could you follow it? Doubtful. Westra has a GPS track for some of the routes there which may help those encumbered with relying on that technology.

Last word is all yours...
    Thumbs way up. I'm eager to ride out there again; last time I saw you in person was at the megaride with the usual suspects last year.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Would love a good route out there too, haven't been able to make it to one of bobs group rides yet.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How many miles and what piques your interests? The other thing to do is print out a few maps and then look at the area on Google Earth or whatever. The tree cover is such that you can make out where a lot of the trails are in the satellite views. The Ridge Trail on the south side of the West fork going West to East from Dingbat Creek is always a favorite.

mtbr member
    Mainly looking for shuttle trails, things with huge berms and big doubles we can hit over and over without having to pedal too much.

Not sure what is out there, the few times I've been with my wife to hunt mushrooms the trails looked pretty sandy and loose, so I wasn't expecting to hear so many people talking about how good the riding is. My friend and I are thinking about doing a weekend trip out there this summer, find somewhere to camp (Two Pines?) and maybe get in a fun 10-15 miles each day. Possibly more, not sure if the terrain is more like Bend-miles or MF Snoqualmie miles.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You probably can find a few videos out there. It can be sandy and loose in places and especially in the mid summer months. But, like Bend, you just follow the snow line. Once you get out of the lower valley, it quickly becomes basalt and a lava flow covering of the traditional Cle Elum coal bearing sandstone layer. Nothing sandy about Esmeralda, upper West Fork, Miller,Bean, Beverly, Standup, Stafford, or Iron Bear/Iron Creek. 29 Pines is better for later in the year and is at the end of the paved road on the North Fork. Earlier, the T-way campground on the West Fork works better.The Cle Elum ridge to lower basin trail are best from now until about mid-June and then in the fall once the rains come back.

mtbr member
    Thanks bob!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    I have GPS tracks of the standard May in the 'Way rides if anybody wants them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Agate View Post
    I have GPS tracks of the standard May in the 'Way rides if anybody wants them.
    Yes please. PM sent with my email.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    The .gpx file that Westra posted on the Evergreen Wiki has the standard "May in the Way" loops. I've downloaded it and followed them and they are spot on.

Trail:Lower West Fork Teanaway - Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Didn't realize you could post gpx files to the wiki.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I expect a ride report and a, "What the hell, I got soooo lost." comment or two in there.

mtbr member
    Tarekith, sent you and Dan a different Saturday loop that goes out past the big slab to the top of the valley for a 25+ mile ride. Other than that, all the stuff I have is the same as Mike's.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on the Teanaway vs the Taneum over the 4th of July weekend? I'm wondering if dealing with possible snow on the higher elevation trails in the Teanaway is better than sucking dust from the motorcycles on the Taneum Creek Loop. I'm thinking about doing one or the other on July 6th.

I was checking out the Evergreen Trail Wiki and came across the Cooper River trail, the description sounds interesting, but it looks like this one is popular with the hikers. Thoughts?

I will also be spending the mornig on Friday the 5th riding Rat Pac.

We'll be staying at the Flying Horseshoe Ranch. Last year the owner mentioned that she had trails from the ranch down to the Teanaway River. Thoughts on these?

If anybody is around over the July 4th weekend, it would great to ride with somebody that knows the area.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Teanway will be good. Stuff is melting out fast. Esmeralda and Miller should be fine by then. I think Warmonkey was going to go check out Iron Bear/Iron Creek this weekend. (Way better IMHO as an over and back from either side than Cooper.) Cooper is a ways away up out of Salmon La Sac too and will indeed be busy mid-day with hikers. I'm sure Verslo will chime in about the Ranch. I've ridden from Rat Pac (West Fork CG really) to the top of the ridge to the ranch along the ridge and it's mostly double track and road until you get closer and there's an actually pretty fun trail that leads back over to the river. Don't think she has a map though. You can google Earth the hill behind the ranch and see most of the trails. Including the ones that go to the river. There was even a MTB race there a few years back. The close in trails will be beat though as they have trail ride horse trains daily on those close in. I may be up for an Esmeralda by then. The higher up stuff will be better.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Haven't ever rode any of Penny's stuff out of her ranch, so can't comment on that one. I'll be around although working the 4th itself and plans are up in the air as usual that far out....

I usually play it by ear based on trail conditions, the weather, and what I have/haven't got to yet. If it's cooler conditions and possibly wet closer to the crest, you can sometimes still nab a nice sunny ride by just moving farther east. Or vice-versa re heat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    At little sumpin' sumpin' from last Saturday on the way back. Some of you may recognize these riders and the semi-famous trail. Brought to you by kit Motofish get outta my way Travis...
    Contour | Stories | Upper Ridge Trail

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    My wife and I rode Bob's Saturday loop today. It was a really nice day. Flowers are coming into bloom and the dirt was firm. Well, except for the sections that the motos roosted through. They chowdered the singletrack near the lunch rocks (which is loose to begin with) and along the ridge (upper ridge trail?) pretty good. At least they have not found that section of singletrack that drops you out right next to the bridge over the W. Fork yet...

Go get some before it all turns to dust!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome! Sounds like you did the "old" Saturday loop. Need to show you the new one on the other side of the river. WAY more trail and less sand too. The last section "BST" actually got some moto love abut 3 weeks ago by 4 riders (Kevin Curd among them) and seemed to have actually been better for it. Hmmm. The last descent along the cliff above the river though has been sublime and super fast.

Will be back over for a week in July.

mtbr member
    Is this the trail out to the rock on the north end of the ridge (the one that roughly parallels Dingbat?) Its been so long since I've ridden any of those trails but there were some good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    At little sumpin' sumpin' from last Saturday on the way back. Some of you may recognize these riders and the semi-famous trail. Brought to you by kit Motofish get outta my way Travis...
    Contour | Stories | Upper Ridge Trail

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No, this is to the East of that. Coming from the same junction at the Dingbat bridge. Cabin, blue bus, etc... Just head up the road behind the cabin going east and then take the first left after the 45mph speed limit sign. At the top, you will see the trail climbing left up through an open sandstone area. Ends at the river below the remnants of the sheepherder's cabin deeded in 1867. Some tracks courtesy of Happy Trails from last weekend.

Friday Night:
    Cyclemeter - Cycle - May 17, 2013, 6:22 PM
    http://share.abvio.com/e4bc39594d740...30517-1822.kml

Saturday:
    Cyclemeter - Cycle - May 18, 2013, 10:04 AM
    http://share.abvio.com/e4bc39594d740...30518-1004.kml

Sunday:
    Cyclemeter - Cycle - May 19, 2013, 9:57 AM
    http://share.abvio.com/e4bc39594d740...30519-0957.kml

Monday:
    Cyclemeter - Cycle - May 20, 2013, 12:18 PM
    http://share.abvio.com/e4bc39594d740...30520-1218.kml

Good to see a few others out there then. Even if they were a little lost.

mtbr member
    Hoping to head out there this Saturday for a ride finally! Spent the last few weekends out there (roughly) with the wife doing the mushroom thing, now it's time to put wheels to dirt. Thanks for the new GPS routes, that will help us plan what to ride.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Slop would never tell you where he found all those morels way out by the aspen groves. Never...

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    My wife and I rode Bob's Saturday loop today. It was a really nice day. Flowers are coming into bloom and the dirt was firm. Well, except for the sections that the motos roosted through. They chowdered the singletrack near the lunch rocks (which is loose to begin with) and along the ridge (upper ridge trail?) pretty good. At least they have not found that section of singletrack that drops you out right next to the bridge over the W. Fork yet...

Go get some before it all turns to dust!
    No, I know right where it's at.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you follow the state budget, they included capital money to purchase "50,000 acres of land in upper Kittitas County near the headwaters of the Yakima River". I'm pretty sure this is part of the Yakima Basin water plan to acquire the American Forest Land Company holdings in the Teanaway. There was talk at one point of the area becoming a "National Recreation Area" while conserving the area as a watershed and state school trust timber resource. Hopefully the sale will include land that borders up to Roslyn's section 17, to once and for all preserve public access to the W. Fork from the south side of Cle Elum ridge.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I believe there's some chunks of privately owned land above sec 17 before running into Plum creek owned pieces at the top. Still, cause to be hopeful for sure....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    This purchase is part of the "Yakima Basin Integrated Plan" and it's indeed the American Forest Land Company lands that would be purchased. Targeted close date for the purchase is September 15. Looks like really good news but we will have to keep an eye on how the land is designated. If you take a look at some of the plan materials there is mention of designating the land as wilderness. Look here for example.

mtbr member

Re: Teanaway, we love you....

Thanks Woodway,

"...Wilderness Area designation would be encouraged for the land around Bumping Lake not inundated by the reservoir expansion.

Creation of National Recreation Areas is proposed for the Upper Yakima and ManastashTaneum areas on existing Forest Service lands.

Wilderness or other appropriate designation would be encouraged for roadless areas in the Teanaway, in the area between Kachess and Cle Elum Lakes, and in the upper reaches of Manastash and Taneum Creeks in order to preserve headwaters, streams, and forests in their natural condition." (End of quoted section)

I am encouraged by "(W) or other appropriate designation". I'm keen on the areas between kachess and Cle Elum lakes to preserve the "no name ridge" route. It long and the up and downs are pointless and that's what makes it important. And can it be wilderness if there is a lookout and U.S. flag on Thorp mountain?

http://evergreenmtb.org/img/upload/img50505.jpg

Slothful dirt hippie
    In the Daily Record tonight, an article about state money for CWU and the Teanaway land purchase:
    CWU building, Teanaway land funded in state budget - Daily Record: News
    From the Seattle Times:
    800 phone calls help protect 52,000 acres | Strange Bedfellows ? Politics News - seattlepi.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Logging alert...

...the middle to mid-lower section of the RRT is being logged out. The trail is pretty much obliterated in that section. We've also seen some landings being cleared. It'll be interesting to see if there are any trees left come Sept 15. Still, if you hit the other stuff, riding is pretty good. Most of the sand is still firm and it's lush and green everywhere.

Most of the "Wilderness" and "Potential Wilderness Areas" I see on maps seems to be from the OWNF 15yr plan. The YBIP maps had more "NRA" and "Wild and Scenic" designations. Having the Middle and West Forks of the Teanaway River and Easton Ridge added to the wilderness inventory would lose us access to three of the truly epic rides in the state. Don't think for a minute that a building will slow the wilderness people down, they'll just burn it like they burned all the CCC built trail shelters along the PCT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teanaway, we love you....-rrt-logging.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We saw flagging when we were out there in May. Worth re-building/clearing? I'll be back over this weekend and can bring some tools. The logging boundaries looked right at the trail so it should be viable to clear just like we did post upper RRT logging about 6 years ago.

Yeah, losing any of that to the, "save it all from everybody but us hikers" enviro whackos would indeed be a damn shame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Everything we saw was ongoing. I'm not sure how much cleanup these guys do but there's probably only a month before the woods are closed down. I'd imagine they're harvesting with that in mind. I think a fair bit of the trail will remain, though much of it was being used for the skidders. It will provide the opportunity to do a few much needed reroutes. Any real trail building/restoration will probably have to wait til late September and October. You can't make much from moondust.

Anyway, we'll keep an eye on it. Maybe they'll get in, get out and do a nice cleanup besides.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. Will get a report out next week. Glenn and I have talked a bunch about the FS buyout of the private timber company but I sure would like to know more of the details since it seems to be a done deal. I'll admit I may have a bit more vested interest than most but I sure would have to make this the last legal Esmeralda ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The last I heard, Esmerelda/DeRoux, W, M and N Fork Tway, Miller Pk, Easton Ridge were not getting wilderness designation. NRA and Wild and Scenic instead. Possibly some PWA which I would fight tooth and nail. Added to wilderness would be north of Cooper River and the area roughly east of N Fork road, south of Ingalls Creek, north of County Line Trail.

I'm pretty sure Forterra is brokering the purchase, with management ultimately falling on DFW and DNR. DNR has been pretty good to work with in the past and have always seemed more accepting of a wider range of users. I don't have much experience with Fish & Wildlife beyond a fishing license

All that being said, I still have no idea how the OWNF 15 yr plan and the YBIP dovetail. Or if they do. Or who trumps whom.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey Borneo, how's RRT looking? Are they done falling trees yet? Plum Creek is cutting up at this end of the basin now. We've been waiting for the dust to settle before doing a tour. The forestry guys say they'll be cutting for another week or so.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gimped myself up there on Wednesday to clear the trail. Walked from the WF CG and trimmed the lower meadow trail to the river crossing. Then, trimmed up the lower part of the RRT to the logging which is currently at the flatter section on the N side before you drop through the vine maple area. Looks like they are just about done cutting. Need to haul some more trees out though. Cleared as much as I could with one good arm. Most of the trail is pretty obvious. There are a few sections that you may want to re- route like down in the steep down and short steep up section. It's not really all that bad but really powdery where the skidder drug logs across. Was telling Verslordr that two people with a 18" pruning saw and a McLeod could open it in one day. Spent 4 hours on it throwing branches off etc and it's pretty good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cool, doesn't sound as bad as it looked covered with fallen trees and branches. The steep down was always fun, it'd be nice to be able to rebuild it, maybe a little better than it was. It was always good for a little pucker when it was loose. I'd clean out the steep up ('cause the moto guys like it ) but for the last couple years I've been thinking of routing the bike trail up the rock slab to the left (North) of the steep pitch. I rode it the last time out and it rolled fine. Any thoughts?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    If someone wants to organize a WP, I'd be up to bring saw/tools over and help clear plus re-route the steeps. I'm Kittitas County landowner now, have to start doing my fair share over on the dry side. I'll even bring my clino

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not at all Warmonkey. There is a way around the north side of the steep down as well that would be along a sand stone cliff and definitely left up along the north edge. I walked that way heading back down and have been eyeing it for years. Much better.
    Woodway, I'll be back over the 2nd and the following weekend too... Would be up for hiking back out there to pick up some more.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Cool, send me an email and we can arrange something.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Will do... Got another May in the 'way project that involves a chainsaw. Not sure if that would be a good idea though so teachin' the kid to do the cutting for me.