Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slothful dirt hippie

Teanaway, we love you....

Climbed to the top of the ridge again- NO snow anywhere on the trails, just a little slick here and there but hopefully weather this week will clean that up. Here's how the Teanaway is shaping up:

Teanaway, we love you....-teanawayap232013.jpg

She's just screaming for me to drop in and rumble around instead of going back to work.... but today I was a responsible adult.... *sigh*
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It won't be long.....

Too bad so many here have never experienced the awesomeness the 'way provides...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    The wife and I will be over on Friday. We are trying to decide between riding the Manastash Metric route on our road bikes, or taking the Mountain Bikes into the 'Way.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    The wife and I will be over on Friday. We are trying to decide between riding the Manastash Metric route on our road bikes, or taking the Mountain Bikes into the 'Way.
    Keep an eye on the weather, looks like we might be getting a front rolling in Friday/Sat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How high up is the snow line? I am hungry to get the KTM over there soon! Yellow Hill still snowed in I am guessing? Miller Peak?
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh yeah. The upper stuff will have snow until late June/early July as always. You may be able to braaaap around Ronald a little though or maybe the lower Taneum. Just don't chow that spring thaw up too much....

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    How high up is the snow line? I am hungry to get the KTM over there soon! Yellow Hill still snowed in I am guessing? Miller Peak?
    No moto trails open yet. Too much mud = damage. Best thing is to 'like' the Cle Elum ORV FB group and keep an eye on how things are clearing out, Mikki Douglass from the FS keeps everyone updated and organized very well there.

Usually lower Taneum are the first to open, and that should be only a few weeks away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Need ride details .

Is that this trail?
    Trail:Lower West Fork Teanaway - Evergreen Trail Guide

Any suggested routes (as the trail info is a little sparse).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You can see the River Ridge trail in the foreground and the West Fork is indeed behind that. The Frog Pond slab is about 2 o'clock. Sparse info could ba attributed to the maze of old roads/game trails in the valley. All routes are fun but if you really wanted a step by step, of any route, I think I may be able to do that. Could you follow it? Doubtful. Westra has a GPS track for some of the routes there which may help those encumbered with relying on that technology.

Last word is all yours...
    Thumbs way up. I'm eager to ride out there again; last time I saw you in person was at the megaride with the usual suspects last year.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Would love a good route out there too, haven't been able to make it to one of bobs group rides yet.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How many miles and what piques your interests? The other thing to do is print out a few maps and then look at the area on Google Earth or whatever. The tree cover is such that you can make out where a lot of the trails are in the satellite views. The Ridge Trail on the south side of the West fork going West to East from Dingbat Creek is always a favorite.

mtbr member
    Mainly looking for shuttle trails, things with huge berms and big doubles we can hit over and over without having to pedal too much.

Not sure what is out there, the few times I've been with my wife to hunt mushrooms the trails looked pretty sandy and loose, so I wasn't expecting to hear so many people talking about how good the riding is. My friend and I are thinking about doing a weekend trip out there this summer, find somewhere to camp (Two Pines?) and maybe get in a fun 10-15 miles each day. Possibly more, not sure if the terrain is more like Bend-miles or MF Snoqualmie miles.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You probably can find a few videos out there. It can be sandy and loose in places and especially in the mid summer months. But, like Bend, you just follow the snow line. Once you get out of the lower valley, it quickly becomes basalt and a lava flow covering of the traditional Cle Elum coal bearing sandstone layer. Nothing sandy about Esmeralda, upper West Fork, Miller,Bean, Beverly, Standup, Stafford, or Iron Bear/Iron Creek. 29 Pines is better for later in the year and is at the end of the paved road on the North Fork. Earlier, the T-way campground on the West Fork works better.The Cle Elum ridge to lower basin trail are best from now until about mid-June and then in the fall once the rains come back.

mtbr member
    Thanks bob!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    I have GPS tracks of the standard May in the 'Way rides if anybody wants them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Agate View Post
    I have GPS tracks of the standard May in the 'Way rides if anybody wants them.
    Yes please. PM sent with my email.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    The .gpx file that Westra posted on the Evergreen Wiki has the standard "May in the Way" loops. I've downloaded it and followed them and they are spot on.

Trail:Lower West Fork Teanaway - Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Didn't realize you could post gpx files to the wiki.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I expect a ride report and a, "What the hell, I got soooo lost." comment or two in there.

mtbr member
    Tarekith, sent you and Dan a different Saturday loop that goes out past the big slab to the top of the valley for a 25+ mile ride. Other than that, all the stuff I have is the same as Mike's.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on the Teanaway vs the Taneum over the 4th of July weekend? I'm wondering if dealing with possible snow on the higher elevation trails in the Teanaway is better than sucking dust from the motorcycles on the Taneum Creek Loop. I'm thinking about doing one or the other on July 6th.

I was checking out the Evergreen Trail Wiki and came across the Cooper River trail, the description sounds interesting, but it looks like this one is popular with the hikers. Thoughts?

I will also be spending the mornig on Friday the 5th riding Rat Pac.

We'll be staying at the Flying Horseshoe Ranch. Last year the owner mentioned that she had trails from the ranch down to the Teanaway River. Thoughts on these?

If anybody is around over the July 4th weekend, it would great to ride with somebody that knows the area.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Teanway will be good. Stuff is melting out fast. Esmeralda and Miller should be fine by then. I think Warmonkey was going to go check out Iron Bear/Iron Creek this weekend. (Way better IMHO as an over and back from either side than Cooper.) Cooper is a ways away up out of Salmon La Sac too and will indeed be busy mid-day with hikers. I'm sure Verslo will chime in about the Ranch. I've ridden from Rat Pac (West Fork CG really) to the top of the ridge to the ranch along the ridge and it's mostly double track and road until you get closer and there's an actually pretty fun trail that leads back over to the river. Don't think she has a map though. You can google Earth the hill behind the ranch and see most of the trails. Including the ones that go to the river. There was even a MTB race there a few years back. The close in trails will be beat though as they have trail ride horse trains daily on those close in. I may be up for an Esmeralda by then. The higher up stuff will be better.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Haven't ever rode any of Penny's stuff out of her ranch, so can't comment on that one. I'll be around although working the 4th itself and plans are up in the air as usual that far out....

I usually play it by ear based on trail conditions, the weather, and what I have/haven't got to yet. If it's cooler conditions and possibly wet closer to the crest, you can sometimes still nab a nice sunny ride by just moving farther east. Or vice-versa re heat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    At little sumpin' sumpin' from last Saturday on the way back. Some of you may recognize these riders and the semi-famous trail. Brought to you by kit Motofish get outta my way Travis...
    Contour | Stories | Upper Ridge Trail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast