mtbr member

Taylor Mountain RR 10/23

LAst night we went to Tiger's forgotten neighbor, Taylor Mountain. We rode the loop listed on the Evergreen wikipage and it was in Primo shape. Ripping fast and smooth singletrack goodness! All the muddy spots are fairly solid and the horse piles were few and far between. It was a great ride and a nice change of pace from the normal trails around here.

If you have never been to Taylor I highly recommend checking it out before the rains return. It doesn't hold up well to wet weather.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Thanks man, always been curious about that one. Run into a lot of horse riders out there, or were you guys doing the night lights thing?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Shhh Lynch... keep it on the down low. I love driving past the mayhem that is the Tiger lot for some solitude at Taylor...
    Now is the time though. Before the rains come. Mountain Beaver down to the creek is a blast. Horsey peeps are usually the equine stay at home moms which are there during the week days. Weekends are not too bad.

mtbr member
    We rode at night, so all we saw were Owls and small critters.

I've been up there on Sunday mornings and I've NEVER encountered a horse on the trails. I have seen 1 or two in the parking lot unloading as we are leaving, but never encountered anyone up there, not even other bikes.

We like to bomb from Holder Knob to Carey Creek via whiskey Still and Mtn Beaver. It would make a GREAT enduro stage! I think our favorite trail is the one back to the parking area though. We start at the summit of Holder Knob and hang a right onto Holder Ridge which takes you all the way back to the cars. It is fast, narrow singletrack that is mostly smooth and has some fun blind turns that keep you on your toes. I'd say it's similar speeds to what you hit on Preston, but the trails are not much more than handlebar width and the brush is generally tall so you get the feeling of flying thru a tunnel.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Don't forget that one little hump up out of the gully on the way down on Holder Ridge... But, you are right. Good loop. Slop did Holder creek a while back and said it was still not worth it as an option down. And, everyone, stay off Elk Ridge. Also not worth it. In any direction.... Could be good with a lot of work. But...

mtbr member
    We did Elk Ridge in the spring and it was HORRIBLE. Might be great on a horse, but not bike friendly. Basically all the trails listed as "seasonal" on the map are not bike friendly. I love that little climb in the middle of Holder Ridge. It is worth the descent that follows.

I do wish they would add one more singletrack trail out there that goes from the top of the logging road climb up from Carey Creek to the start of Holder Knob. It sucks riding a mile of logging road downhill when there is a ton of trees and trail potential on either side.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy