Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tapeworm/Towers of Power

Will somebody PLEASE make an updated trailmap for that place? Also, can someone help me find the Bermsled trail? Silkworm is fun and all but I need another route and I have no idea where that thing is.

mtbr member
    Pmed you
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I didn't do it
    I was out at the Tower of Power area for the first time in awhile yesterday and came across some suspicious feature building out there. I'm not very familiar with the area but I think it was on the bermed flowy trail, I don't know the name of it but its the first entrance after leaving the Arnold parking lot. On my first trip through there I passed a group of three kids maybe 14, 15 years old on BMX bikes. It was pretty obvious that they really aren't skilled at riding bikes since they were skidding down the hills into the berms and not wearing helmets. Anyhow an hour later I went through that trail for a second time and I found them working on a wall ride. It appeared that somebody already had a frame in place and they were nailing the surface boards into place. I asked them what they were doing and if they had permission and they basically told me to F-off. I honestly don't think they had the building skills to erect the frame so if anybody knows who started that wall ride I can report that it was these three dudes who worked on it and the original builders might want to check the new work. That got me to thinking, is there any coordinated building out there or is it a free for all?

mtbr member
    The wallride frame was built by a local who knows his stuff. I believe he is about 1/3 of the way into the decking of it. He's in his 30s and definitely not a young kid. I believe he was planning on finishing it this week. I will try to contact him and let him know what you reported. It could be the same group that routed a BMX trail right thru part of the old crop circles trail.

There is a group of locals that work on and maintain the trails and their hasn't been any real issues besides a few minor things here and there.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The wallride frame was built by a local who knows his stuff. I believe he is about 1/3 of the way into the decking of it. He's in his 30s and definitely not a young kid. I believe he was planning on finishing it this week. I will try to contact him and let him know what you reported. It could be the same group that routed a BMX trail right thru part of the old crop circles trail.

There is a group of locals that work on and maintain the trails and their hasn't been any real issues besides a few minor things here and there.
    That makes complete sense, it looked like a well designed and built frame and so I was skeptical that those kids could have done that. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they built that BMX trail, they seemed pretty oblivious to the bigger picture.

mtbr member
    I'm glad you said something though because there are a lot of riders that go thru the area now and if they keep an eye out for shady stuff it generally keeps it away.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I'd love a copy of a new map too if there's one out there.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    The wallride builder went down and undid what the kids had done. I guess they had nailed up some 2x4s as cross braces for a 8ft span and tried decking it. 2x10s are going to be used so its solid. Those may be installed this week. I'd say the feature is about 2 weeks out from being done. It's basically a wood berm in a location where large roots prevented the building of a dirt berm without hauling in massive amounts of dirt.

This weekend I will try to put together a new map of the area. Currently Berm sled, The parasite, Tapeworm and Silkworm are ridable, Mr. DNA is pretty overgrown but passable, and most of Crop Circles has been unridable for a good 5 years. PSE was talking about bulldozing the Mr. DNA/Crop Circles area for a storage lot, but I havent heard if that was going thru or not so the locals havent spent much time clearing those trails.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Thanks Lynch. I've been out there enough to know my way around for the most part, but I still haven't figured out a good way to loop in the new trails with the other ones like Parasite.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    We ride out there once a week and we generally do the following:

Ride Silkworm, take a left at the exit and first right into Parasite. At the Parasite Exit we take the first right and follow that to the Tapeworm. Part way thru the tapeworm we sometimes bail out and go do Bermsled, then re-enter the tapeworm where we left it. At the end of the Tapeworm we ride back to the parasite and ride it in reverse (my favorite way to ride it). At the end of the parasite we go left and climb back up to the top and then do the Silkworm a few more times until we are tired/done riding.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I didn't do it
    The wallride builder went down and undid what the kids had done. I guess they had nailed up some 2x4s as cross braces for a 8ft span and tried decking it. 2x10s are going to be used so its solid. Those may be installed this week. I'd say the feature is about 2 weeks out from being done. It's basically a wood berm in a location where large roots prevented the building of a dirt berm without hauling in massive amounts of dirt.
    Ugh, they really screwed that one up. I'm so thankful that the unauthorized work is being corrected because I had no faith in the quality of that work. I was a little worried that an unsafe structure could have been used which could have possibly failed at some point and resulted in injury.

Props to the builder on this one. It'll be a cool feature when completed correctly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Hello, everybody! I've been a long time lurker here at MTBR and thought now would be a good time to introduce myself & pitch in what I've observed over at the Parasite/Silkworm areas in particular.

First off, I'm a local kid (HS junior, XC rider -- not one of those uncivil BMXers that were mentioned up earlier in the thread) and ride Silkworm almost every day of the week.

Regarding the wall ride/wooden berm, I'd like to confirm that it's been completely finished and I rode a high line on it a couple of times today. I've actually ran into the builder before -- he has 2 dogs and I think he rented a Home Depot truck to carry his supplies.

At around 6pm today when I was riding with some friends, there were 3-4 guys hanging out in Silkworm (at the area a bit before the roller coaster) smoking pot. They seemed pretty chill & got a kick out of seeing us ride the berms and drops, but their presence just made me feel a bit uneasy. They asked if my friends and I smoked, and we politely told them that we don't. I just kept my cool & found out that they were just looking for some trees to climb. This reminded me of last year when our high school cross country coach told us a story about some guys that were smoking weed and sitting up in the trees while he was trail running in there. According to him they were pretty chill with him too. I'd just like to add that my school holds Cross Country camp over at the adjacent Phillip Arnold Park.

Activity like this is why I typically don't venture into Tapeworm alone (I've seen on other forums people talking about sketchy behavior going on in there too like branches that appeared set up with the purpose to hurt a rider - so I usually stick with the New Parasite and Silkworm.

Just some other miscellaneous stuff that popped into mind -- at 4-5pm Silkworm had a lot of riders in it (guys in their 40s+, not in a group or anything - and there was one guy with a kid) - maybe it was one of you. Also, this was my first time seeing those group of smokers - although this was my first time doing an evening ride (usually ride a bit past noon). There were also a lot of families biking/driving to the park, and occasionally I see some cars loiter near the Gravel road entrance (sedans, no bike hitches).

I hope I contributed useful information for everyone that rides here, & I'd also appreciate an updated map of the place

-thesilkworm

mtbr member
    The non-biker cars near the entrance are generally friends of the people in the neighborhood across the way. That neighborhood is a gated community, so it's easier to park by the trailhead. havent heard of any issues with them liek car prowling or anything.

I've seen a lot of weed smokers in the area lately. None have caused trouble, and they tend to change locations to find a spot people aren't at. They are usually friendly and I just say to them that they should find a better spot to do that than on the trail. The area use to be a lot worse, but as more riders coem thru the shady stuff tends to go elsewhere. Dumping and other illegal activity is down a lot compared to a few years ago.

As for the wall ride feature, it is pretty much done and riding real nice. Some dirt needs to be moved and the rest of the frame needs to be stained, but it is a fun feature that is totally ridable right now. we went and rode it yesterday after riding out in Black Diamond and I got a few video clips.

silkworm wallride - YouTube
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Someone should straighten the trail out before the wall ride so you can hit it with more speed coming off the skinny. Otherwise, I like it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure that's in the works...
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry about bumping this thread -- but does PSE allow Dirt Bikes on their property? At about 1pm today I was riding Silkworm & when I was near the 4' drop it sounded like there were dirt bikes near the substation, maybe going down that gravel fireroad. Do they ever go inside the trails & are they even allowed?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nope....

mtbr member
    Not allowed, but I've seen them out there a lot when I ride there.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    There are a few people that dirtbike ride out there. Technically PSE doesn't allow it, but they have not put up or provided any signs to say otherwise like they said they would. I've personally talked to a couple of riders and they agreed to only stay on the gravel access roads and stay off the trails. There is sort of a dirt bike "loop" they follow that parallels sections of the Silkworm.
    Once PSE does their part then we can report it and actually do something about it. I'd hate to see a dirt biker run into a dog walker and cause the area to get shut down completely like they tired to do in 2000ish.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ride Tapeworm about once a week and I would love to see an updated map. I've made a pretty good hour and a half loop through trial and error but I may be missing out on some stuff I don't know about.

I generally ride in the middle of the day during the week and I rarely encounter anyone. Thanks to everyone who maintains the trails, this is the closest place to my house in West Seattle and it's great for a quick ride. I'll keep my eye out for shady types but like I said I've never had a problem out there. Anyone doing group rides? What day/time?

mtbr member
    Wednesday night at 7:30 typically. We don't always ride the worm but we do keep it pretty local. Ask Lynch to put you on his email list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    I

I generally ride in the middle of the day during the week and I rarely encounter anyone. Thanks to everyone who maintains the trails, this is the closest place to my house in West Seattle and it's great for a quick ride. I'll keep my eye out for shady types but like I said I've never had a problem out there. Anyone doing group rides? What day/time?
    Did you happen to be at Bermsled or Silkworm yesterday around 1pm? I saw one guy in Silkworm and a different person in Bermsled when I was riding it backwards yesterday.

mtbr member
    You were riding the Silkworm and Bersled backwards? They are both pretty much one way trails with high speed sections and blind corners.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No, not Silkworm (it's kind of impossible considering the drops are all one way - & I'd never think of doing it backwards).

I was riding Bermsled backwards because when I made it to the bottom of the hill I couldn't find the trail you take to get back up to the Tapeworm area so I just worked my way back up to the entrance near the Rolling Hills neighborhood. Yesterday was my first time in Bermsled and in hindsight coming back up the hill was a really bad (and dangerous) idea.

mtbr member
    I see. Bermsled is kind of odd at the end. No obvious exit. There use to be one, but they extended the trail further down the hill and now it is a faint path to get out.

At night we sometimes ride the Silkworm backwards on the way out since you can see lights if anyone is coming. It doesnt ride will in that direction!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast