mtbr member

Table Mtn fire damage report

Went up to Table Mtn today to inspect the fire damage. Went up the road from Ellensburg to inspect First Cr trail, which is a rarely ridden moto trail that climbs to the top of Table Mtn and then drops down into Naneum Meadow. It is always subjected to numerous blow downs in a good year and after walking only 1/2 mile I came across quite a few. The other damage I did not expect was how messed up the trail's tread was due to the fire. I think what happens is the old roots burn under the trail and undermine it. And with the FS having their hands full, who knows if this trail will get any sawyer love. This is too bad because First Cr is a fun techy trail. Sorry, no pics today, but I might be back in the area on the way to Borneo's fling next week with a camera.
    Not sure what this means for Tronson, DG, etc.
    OTOH I did find a new steep biker built trail though that needs investigating

Slothful dirt hippie
    Mikki from the Cle Elum FS office keeps posting updates in her Cle Elum ORV FB group, and they've definitely got all the official ORV trails on the radar for bucking out at least. I don't know how much tread issues they'll get to however.

Just another reminder that in this neck of the woods the trails we ride have largely been maintained by volunteer moto groups that Mikki is coordinating along with a minimal official FS crew. The last year I was able to find info for she'd officially tallied 2000+ hours of volunteer work from them, and given how much effort they've had to do in the last couple seasons I wouldn't doubt she's gotten more hours since then.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."