Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

T-East Tailhead mayhem

I know this is common knowledge to many here but for any of the noobs....

Be kind, clean up, quiet during the evening hours, respectful of the neighbors, etc.

It's been packed as of late with news of FT3K re-opening and other multi-platinum video releases circulating the intra-webz...

And, not going to get any quieter as the dry months arrive....

mtbr member

ride your bike
    Beers, berms, and bikes.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I think there's another factor....which is:
    With the addition of GS, more tokul west riders are now parking at 356th, instead of accessing via SE39th.

Having spent some recent weekend days on flowtron, traffic has been surprisingly light. Certainly way fewer riders than cars in the lot, like less than half.

regardless I agree with the message. Keep it quiet.

mtbr member
    We always ride early and are generally one of the first cars in the lot. When we leave I love watching the mayhem as 5 cars jockey for our 1 spot.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Oh great, Duthie #2. :

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good point FM though those that I know ride it West to East to finish on FT3K or Ivan, etc. The lot across from the Diner still is pretty empty considering the space available.

Another option used for BBTC/EMBA rides in the past has been the tennis courts at the Salish. But, we don't want to anger them either and there are rumors of break ins up there. But, a nice little trail warm up to get into East there.

Hopefully, we've learned a little from the Duthie issues....

Group Hug Participant
    How many have passes? Just sayin.....
    Last edited by <sL4yEr>RuLz; 01-28-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: forgot I invented the question mark
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    everyone of course! Hancock is raking it in

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Paying for a pass does not entitle you to a parking spot, there is no where to park on handcock's land

Group Hug Participant

mine does ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ortedd View Post
    Paying for a pass does not entitle you to a parking spot, there is no where to park on handcock's land
    I'm not complaining about the parking. I parked half a mile past the lot just so I could Strava that stretch! I'm complaining that most (and I am slightly speculating) that more than half of yesterday's riders were without passes. But really now, does that matter? I mean, where's the enforcement?

jtd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Good point FM though those that I know ride it West to East to finish on FT3K or Ivan, etc. The lot across from the Diner still is pretty empty considering the space available.

Another option used for BBTC/EMBA rides in the past has been the tennis courts at the Salish. But, we don't want to anger them either and there are rumors of break ins up there. But, a nice little trail warm up to get into East there.

Hopefully, we've learned a little from the Duthie issues....
    Does anyone know what the story is with coming in from the Snoqualmie Falls side? Is the gravel road off of Tokul rd still gated? Can you ride gun range back to the gate on your way out?

I think ultimately Tokul has too much climbing for the duthie crowd. It may be popular with them for awhile, but soon they will miss the buff xc loops with 50' of climbing and berms at every corner...

Group Hug Participant

mine does ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ortedd View Post
    I'm not complaining about the parking. I parked half a mile past the lot just so I could Strava that stretch! I'm complaining that most (and I am slightly speculating) that more than half of yesterday's riders were without passes. But really now, does that matter? I mean, where's the enforcement?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz View Post
    I'm complaining that most (and I am slightly speculating) that more than half of yesterday's riders were without passes. But really now, does that matter? I mean, where's the enforcement?
    I'm sure they'll make an appearance, now that you've raised awareness to the issue

Group Hug Participant

Na, dude

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I'm sure they'll make an appearance, now that you've raised awareness to the issue
    I know they're out there in some shape or form. But don't worry, I'll let you borrow mine.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Does anyone know what the story is with coming in from the Snoqualmie Falls side? Is the gravel road off of Tokul rd still gated? Can you ride gun range back to the gate on your way out?

I think ultimately Tokul has too much climbing for the duthie crowd. It may be popular with them for awhile, but soon they will miss the buff xc loops with 50' of climbing and berms at every corner...
    Yes, it's still gated and belongs to someone else other than Hancock. But, despite the gate and the fence, it seems like people are still using that entrance/exit. There are other ways in to the lower East area just a bit farther north on the SVT though.

You'd be surprised how much of the Duthie crowd is there and will be there. Not too much climbing for the more seasoned crowd. In fact some do 2-4 laps up the hill each time. But, for the slackers and the new riders, yes, I'll agree.

mtbr member
    A few weeks ago we ran into some "duthie" riders who wanted to tag along. They were new to T-East. We did two laps of flowtron and on the 2nd climb they were dying. Then we rode MidTown, then climbed all the way back up to do upper and lower Ivan. We waited a LONG time for them to get to the top. We always like to end with OGDH, but the 3 tag-along guys had enough climbing and called it a day. They had fun, but complained the entire time about all the climbing. I've talked to several people that will do Flowtron, then go to Ivan and be done.

I actually enjoy the climbing there and think it makes the descents that much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hate climbing, but as I get older, it is just a way to get another work out in, so I am appreciating the climbs more than I used to. I will say that when I first started riding Tokul about 5 years ago, I thought the climbs were brutal. Now, they seem pretty tame in comparison. Frequenting Tiger might have something to do with that.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What's also kinda funny is that people will lap the road climb at East over and over without concern and then complain about a little road connection over in West...

Either way, it's gonna be busy which is a good thing and we'll all have to take that into concern in the way we did with the Duthie parking problems.

Heck, Tigger will be having issues again this summer with all the cool new stuff there as well. But, these are good problems.

mtbr member
    What's also kinda funny is that people will lap the road climb at East over and over without concern and then complain about a little road connection over in West...
    We will find out Sunday if it is worth the climb at T-west!
    People dont mind climbs when there is a fun way back down. I dont see too many cars at Tiger in the winter even though you can ride all the logging roads years round...

mtbr member
    I used to hate all the climbing out here with a passion when I first moved to the area, every ride we went on was just an ass kicker. Eventually though you start to find trails where the downhill is worth all the climbing, so I learned to just accept it. Zone out and just grind to the top knowing the best part is to come.

After a couple years of doing this, lo and behold your legs are stonger and it's not so bad any more.

Still not as much as going downhill though
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So true. Can you imagine the FT3K/Ivan/etc. traffic if there was a lift up the face of east?

Tarekith, you and Dawgman might want to tie in with Mr. Lynch's crew Sunday. I'm assuming Slop will be guiding for the goods across the GS from East.

Still in snow season (Thank gawd I'm not in the Alpy line this morning...) but I may be able to get up and feed the Gnome before you all get out there.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    So true. Can you imagine the FT3K/Ivan/etc. traffic if there was a lift up the face of east?
    Or even, an independent "concessionaire" who could run an hourly weekend shuttle truck up the powerline climb. Similar to how many of the UK skills centers work....or the 'ol "huckwagon"

Hancock could make a LOT of money! And I think it would solve for a lot of the liability concerns by working through a 3rd party. Lazy riders could still get 10-12 descents in in a single day.

This is kind of what I was hoping for all along, and the terrain at east would be perfect for it.

Not sure if we'll ever get there, and the climb is good exercise anyways.

mtbr member
    Slop is giving us a tour. Sunday 8am, the parking area just past the big traffic circle in fall city.

It is suppose to dry out this weekend, so hopefully it wont be too bad Sunday, but we ride no matter what!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cool. If anyone knows it as well as me, it's Slop. He'll give you the long term plan too. Have fun!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast