Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I don't mind the climbing, I was just wondering if that was another way up to the road that crosses Midtown. Just to mix it up some and not always have to ride out to the powerline trail over and over.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. That's it then. More hike a bike than riding the last time I did if I recall. But, gets you there quicker.

mtbr member
    As long as it's easier than hiking lower Ivan or Midtown, I'm fine with that. Not easy as I've discovered first hand on both trails this week
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Flowtron has had a ton of work done in the last few weeks. There are several new drops on it, and the muddy swamp crossing area has been fixed up really nice. I'll post video of the changes tonight!

Midtown is wearing in nicely and how much better flow now. It is getting a lot of skid ruts, but that's to be expected due to the steep terrain and soft topsoil.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was really impressed with Flowtron on Sunday. The first few corners aren't so tight and the features definitely raise the pucker factor. I would still love to see the first corner be built up a bit more to carry speed from Neutron into Flowtron. It seems to me the angle is there to build a nice banked wall to drop in. The step up jump was a fun addition as well. What was carved into the mini bridge over the swamp? I couldn't read what it said. The swamp was a nice improvement as well. I used to always see someone in our group go off of the old sketchy ramp which was fun for entertainment value.

Thank you to everyone who has been working on this trail.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    What was carved into the mini bridge over the swamp? I couldn't read what it said. The swamp was a nice improvement as well.
    HLC, of course!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Aha! Nice touch. Was going over that section with speed for the first time evar, so couldn't decipher it. I really will miss seeing the occasional plunge into that swamp...always good for a few laughs and some good ribbing. I have seen a few tires slip out on the old build.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The falls into the black goo mire off the Bog Log were worse....

Glad I never did.

mtbr member
    I actually have video of 2 guys climbing out of that thing. One guy tipped over and went in feet first. When he pulled his left foot out his shoe stayed in the mud and it filled up. We were laughing pretty hard as he attempted to pour the muddy goo out.

The other guy went into the goo pit on his side and came up with one arm and one leg completely covered. He had on a light tan long sleeve jersey and brown shorts, so the addition of the goo made it look like he had a two tone Troy Lee outfit on. His nickname has been "swamp thing" ever since!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    The first time I took my brother in law there he slid off the logs and stepped up to his thigh in nasty mud. I had to cheer for him when he made it mud free yesterday.

And maybe it's just me, but I think I actually like Flowtron better now in the clear cut compared to in the trees.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's just you....

Actually, I like the view but miss the old, early, "before discovered" version....

I have a video of that with all the woodwork and the Bog Log, etc. But, it won't upload to mtbr...

Going up Beaver Pond in West Saturday, I was pretty stoked actually about the views we will get now.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I have a video of that with all the woodwork and the Bog Log, etc. But, it won't upload to mtbr...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Classic. I wonder how many people fell into that bog? I saw enough people fall with just the tiny bridge. I could line up on this one on a busy Saturday and be quite entertained!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Classic indeed. FM, can you send that to me via e-mail? (All I have is the old .mpg file.)

EMBA Member
    My first riding in Tokul east/west was around Jan 4 this year, and as a more novice level rider compared to others posting here, I wanted to give another perspective of riding these areas for anyone interested in giving these trails a ride.

In west, there are several very fun trails including Upper Outback, Outback, Out House, Steak House, Bon Bon (I think that's what I was on), both of the trails in The Middle, and Full Bench (tight downhill turns on an exposed face. I don't mind telling you it was kind of intense). These trails are not as steep as the trails I've ridden on the east side, but do include some fun ups and downs as well as things to clear. Also the area including Black Bear, Sticker Boy and the other trails were fun but mostly level riding with logs to clear, etc. I rode these a couple weeks ago over frozen ground. They may be pretty boggy right now. I rode the Beaver Pond trail last weekend and I enjoyed the grunt up it and it was a fun ride back down. At the top of the west area, west of the entrance to Upper Outback and adjacent to the start of Bon Bon (I think), there is a trail that goes left into the forest and comes out at the power lines. Go right and I assume you go to the Eastside. Go straight and you go back through the forest and then come out on another forest road. All this riding is fun riding IMO. There is a trail that goes up from the SVT called Tobogan that is fun both up and down. Near the top it goes right along the edge of a very steep dropoff which is kind of cool, and has several obstacles to clear along the trail.

In the east, like I said, I found the trails to be steeper and more technically difficult. I went on Flowtron a couple weeks ago and quickly realized I was in over my head. I survived the ride, but it was doubtful for several of the turns. My suggestion is to ride Mouse Trap on the Westside first, and if that goes well, MAYBE think about Flowtron. From what's been said above, it sounds like Flowtron is more difficult now than when I rode it a couple weeks ago. Of course it's your health, so have at it if that's your style. West of the Flowtron entrance, there is a trail heading due north that isn't on my map. It crosses 2 partially overgrown roads until coming out on a third road. Go left on the third road and it takes you to the west side. This trail is more of a "west" type of trail. Little ups and downs with obsticles to clear. Muddy in places. I liked it. To the west of the power lines in the flat area before the road climbs up to the top, there is a trail that drops back down to the SVT coming out next to the beginning of the road up. It is a lot of fun. There are I think 2 other trails to the west of the one I'm describing, but I haven't figured out how to get to them yet. From looking at the map, these other two are probably steeper. There are other trails out there I haven't been able to find yet. I was told Gun Range is fun, but I've not ridden it.

In all, I can see how more advanced riders would spend more time on the eastside, but don't miss the westside. There is a lot of fun to be had out there.

mtbr member
    That's a good point, I guess some err... heads up, is in order. If you struggle with Flowtron, you DO NOT want to go on Midtown or Crazy Ivan, those are way more technical and steep/loose.

I didn't mean to come across as bashing West either, the trails are good and yes fun, they are just very similar to a lot of other trails I ride too. The stuff I like on East feels unique for the area, you don't often get steep and tight switchbacks like that with IMBA trail guidelines.
    Tarekith.com

EMBA Member
    Thanks for the info. My map shows a couple trails, one called Clearcut and the other called Kamikaze. How would you describe those? My next trip out there I was planning on hike a biking up them to figure out where the entrance is. What do you think?

mtbr member
    I was told last week on the West ride that Kamikazee is more or less overgrown now and not rideable. No idea on clearcut.
    Tarekith.com

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Kamikaze was quite overgrown last I heard, and even when it was first 'found' and put on the maps didn't get enough traffic to really become defined. Clearcut used to get some traffic so is probably rideable. It crosses private property at the exit though and really isn't the most fun way back down. There's not really much reason to get out to the top of clearcut now that the views aren't as good at the old overlook. I wouldn't go up either of these trails.

Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Thanks for the info. My map shows a couple trails, one called Clearcut and the other called Kamikaze. How would you describe those? My next trip out there I was planning on hike a biking up them to figure out where the entrance is. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

T-East Tailhead mayhem

I tried to find Kamikaze on Sunday. Found the start of the upper section no problem...and found the last 100 meters of the trail...that's about all that remains. The rest is hikeabike at best. Horses use it still but the brush is so thick I spent about 5 mins clearing my rear cassette just to get home. Stay away from Kamikaze and Clearcut for now.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    lastest video of Flowtron...

Tokul East -Flowtron -Feb 2013 - YouTube

it should finish uploading any minute.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to getting out there this year.

Question for the experienced here. I've seen a couple of midtown videos and it seems like its going to be pretty difficult that first time down. What are some other trails I could tackle and build up some skills for those super tight corners? or is it just a matter of just trying it? I've ridden lower Ivan a few times successfully (meaning, made it down ) and upper Ivan was too much for me. Just wanted to give a frame of reference. I also didn't go out to Tokul at all last year so its been some time. Last year was mostly Duthie and Tiger for me.

-joel

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You could always ride Cuss Hollow at Duthie... Somebody should.

There is a trail in the flats of T-East that ties into ODGH on the left on the way down that has a few switchbacks. Don't think the WeyCo logging got that far North. There's Full Bench over in T-West too. You can ride those, you can ride Midtown.

Videos: pumping up everyone around to go ride Tokul. (Kinda dumb thing to do IMHO to ensure trail integrity but that's another thread.) Which gets me back to the original post. Be kind, quiet, and clean after ourselves at the TH.

mtbr member
    IMO Midtown is more technical than Ivan, so I think I would try working on that first. Maybe even just hiking up part of Upper Ivan so you can work on a few of the lower switchbacks until you get comfortable enough to try the whole thing.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    You could always ride Cuss Hollow at Duthie... Somebody should.
    For what it's worth, I ride Cuss every coupla weeks- cussing you and any other builders every time on the 2nd to last uphill (left turn) switchback that I can only sometimes clean, but enjoying it none the less! It's a great trail option.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast