Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A nice shot from today's ride, taken from the crossover trail from Bon Bon towards Golden Spike. Right around 1000' of elevation and where the fog layer starts.

T-East Tailhead mayhem-tokul-light-002-retouched-721x1280-.jpg
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

T-East Tailhead mayhem

Agate...oops. Yup, Peter.

I rode bobsled, BonBon, MoonRaker, Mousetrap, Outhouse, steakhouse, Outback, Middle, PoopyD and back down Bobsled. All rolling great today.
    Actually saw 4 other riders up there...so crowded. ;-)

Have fun tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member

Re: T-East Tailhead mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    A nice shot from today's ride, taken from the crossover trail from Bon Bon towards Golden Spike. Right around 1000' of elevation and where the fog layer starts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tokul Light 002 (retouched) (721x1280).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	767664
    That is one of the coolest pictures I've seen!

mtbr member

T-East Tailhead mayhem

@slop, I'm offended. I'm equally slow on any bike, geared or not. How dare you!!!
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    That is one of the coolest pictures I've seen!
    Thanks! I really wish I had my good camera with me and a tripod. I could have gotten some exquisitely detailed shots.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Just got back from our ride! 8 of us got a nice tour from Slop. I think we got around 15 miles in. It was muddy in spots put overall the trails were in decent shape for being mid winter. It is sad to see all the logging, but the future trails planned sound like a lot of fun.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Really fun ride this AM for sure, thanks for showing us around Slop. Sorry I had to bail a little early, knee was starting to act up and I wanted to end with a smile not a grimace today
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Did the Tour Saturday afternoon. Amazing amount of logging all the way up the road from Beaver to Golden Spike. I actually missed the turn to Out/Steakhouse it looked so different.

Tried Poopy D for the first time (need the story on that name sometime). That's a good rip. Got to pay attention on that one with all the surprise s-turns. Needs some fern transplants to lock in the line.

BTW, Golden Spike is 25% mud right now. Ride-able but not the best time of year.

The full Upper-Ivan to Midtown combo is the best trail in the Seattle area IMO. Long, technical, fast, steep, challenging, fun. Just missing views. Thanks for the fresh grading work and bridge repair.

mtbr member
    C
    Quote Originally Posted by msylvan View Post
    @slop, I'm offended. I'm equally slow on any bike, geared or not. How dare you!!!
    I'm guessing you can go in the "with gravity" direction at a nice clip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    The full Upper-Ivan to Midtown combo is the best trail in the Seattle area IMO. Long, technical, fast, steep, challenging, fun. Just missing views. Thanks for the fresh grading work and bridge repair.
    I rode this for the first time yesterday. It is a great trail! Conditions were really good for mid-winter. I hope to do some more riding there over the spring time.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    I'm guessing you can go in the "with gravity" direction at a nice clip.
    Will pedal for beer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Will pedal for beer
    Zing, another winner.
    Say hello to my little friend, the Beer Gnome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-East Tailhead mayhem-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Any chance we can get Upper Ivan, Midtown, and OGDH updated on the maps? I know OGDH well, but it has been a few years since I went up top to Ivan and have no clue where Midtown is or a few of these other hidden trails are I keep reading about. Maybe it is intended?

mtbr member
    I think Hancock is real protective of the area and doesnt want full maps out or something. Not totally sure.
    To find Midtown you ride the connect trail that heads over to Ivan, and when you hit the area where the "No Tresspassing" signs are, the Midtown trail breaks off to the left and heads down the hill.

We will probably ride up there this coming Sunday if you (or anyone else) wants to tag along!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    There's an issue with Upper Ivan and the entrance to Midtown. We all know this since there's "no trespassing" signs.

PLEASE DON'T GO THROUGH THOSE SIGNS OR ONTO THE NON-HANCOCK LAND THERE.

I was up there night riding with a few other guys, and we think we saw game camera's, so they're taking the no-trespassing seriously.

The way to access Ivan and Midtown without crossing the private land (meaning non-Hancock) is this:

At the top of the power lines, before you cross the metal gate, follow the logging road that goes downhill towards Ivan. After a couple hundred yards, you'll see Midtown come out onto the logging road. Keep going a little ways until you see an access trail (old road bed) on your right. Climb up that and at the top go right for Midtown and left for Crazy Ivan.

This is totally based on memory. Can someone add to my description to make it easier to understand?
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Do any of you ride a SS at T-East or West? All this talk about Tokul makes me want to get out there again; it has been a few years since I last rode there. I primarily ride a SS at GR and Sawyer. Any of you have thoughts on riding a SS at Tokul?
    I've ridden SS there a pretty good bit, I love it. I haven't been back there since the logging though, looking forward to that. Maybe this weekend...

By the way; I'd love to ride with some other SS'ers, I'm the only one I know.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post

This is totally based on memory. Can someone add to my description to make it easier to understand?
    I'll add a few details.

Find the powerline logging road Juice describes, which goes downhill into the woods. After a moment it flattens out, even goes a bit uphill. This is where midtown crosses over. Watch for a left here. You can take this and ride the lower 3/4 of midtown, which begins with a short climb over a knoll.

If you pass the left to midtown and continue on the logging road from the powerlines, watch on the right side- there will be a trail peeling off on the uphill side, above the road. Once you're on this, watch for an immediate sharp right which goes straight uphill- not ridable by most mortals. This takes you right up to the crazy ivan pumptrack.

Now the money route!
    From the powerline access road, ride the middle 2/3'rds of midtown as described above. When you cross the road after the middle section of minefield, take a RIGHT and start climbing. Watch on your LEFT side for the trail on the uphill side which goes up to the pumptrack (then take the first right to the steep push). Same as described previously, but your coming at it from the opposite direction.

I dig this route since it gets you the middle 2/3rd's of minefield, and all of crazy Ivan, with sort of a "climb and a half". You only miss the XC portion of Ivan (including the trespassing bit) and the top and bottom sections of midtown.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    There's an issue with Upper Ivan and the entrance to Midtown. We all know this since there's "no trespassing" signs.

I was up there night riding with a few other guys, and we think we saw game camera's, so they're taking the no-trespassing seriously.

The way to access Ivan and Midtown without crossing the private land (meaning non-Hancock) is this:

At the top of the power lines, before you cross the metal gate, follow the logging road that goes downhill towards Ivan. After a couple hundred yards, you'll see Midtown come out onto the logging road. Keep going a little ways until you see an access trail (old road bed) on your right. Climb up that and at the top go right for Midtown and left for Crazy Ivan.

JVP...you go hard right up that old road with the little 'whoops', right? Takes you up to the pumptrack?
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I'll add a few details.

Find the powerline logging road Juice describes, which goes downhill into the woods. After a moment it flattens out, even goes a bit uphill. This is where midtown crosses over. Watch for a left here. You can take this and ride the lower 3/4 of midtown, which begins with a short climb over a knoll.

If you pass the left to midtown and continue on the logging road from the powerlines, watch on the right side- there will be a trail peeling off on the uphill side, above the road. Once you're on this, watch for an immediate sharp right which goes straight uphill- not ridable by most mortals. This takes you right up to the crazy ivan pumptrack.

Now the money route!
    From the powerline access road, ride the middle 2/3'rds of midtown as described above. When you cross the road after the middle section of minefield, take a RIGHT and start climbing. Watch on your LEFT side for the trail on the uphill side which goes up to the pumptrack (then take the first right to the steep push). Same as described previously, but your coming at it from the opposite direction.

I dig this route since it gets you the middle 2/3rd's of minefield, and all of crazy Ivan, with sort of a "climb and a half". You only miss the XC portion of Ivan (including the trespassing bit) and the top and bottom sections of midtown.
    Ah, nevermind JVP...FM's description is what I was looking for!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member

TE Updated Map?

Going back one day to Dawgman's post, does anyone have the time to post an updated map of TE other than what's posted on EMBA? I don't care if it's on a bar napkin from the Last Frontier Tavern (assuming they use napkins), just looking for a cleaner map on how to get to the trails around Ivan and where the non-Hancock land is. I'm hoping to ride there ASAP. Thanks..

mtbr member
    Yes please, I'd love a map too. Even if passed discreetly via PM's
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    That steep old road with the "whoops" in it takes you right to the pump track/Ivan/KGB and basically allows you to avoid the private property.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Which steep old road? People keep referencing other trails or roads to get to the newer trails, but if you don't know the area well or the old trails, it doesn't help much. I'm going to just have to spend a few days lost out there again I think, or tag along on more group rides I guess
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Which steep old road? People keep referencing other trails or roads to get to the newer trails, but if you don't know the area well or the old trails, it doesn't help much. I'm going to just have to spend a few days lost out there again I think, or tag along on more group rides I guess
    +1 on this. Don't understand why with Hancock now charging for access there still isn't a good map of the area. It's not like it will cause damage, if anything it'll help people avoid where they are not suppose to be.

jtd
    mtbr member
    Most people who know there way around out there just explored on their own without a map... However, if you NEED a map look on Strava... Every single trail is mapped multiple times.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast