mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Syncline Rideable?

What's the winter riding like at Syncline on the Gorge? I saw a video that seems to be from January:

Syncline WA - Little Moab 1-29-2011 - YouTube

is this normal conditions in the Winter?

mtbr member
    Todd mac was out there in the snow about a week or so ago, so I'd say it's ride able.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006

It's rideable

My brother lives in Hood River and says it's rideable and should start to get better this coming week.

None of the local websites are getting updated, but if you Facebook, Dirty Fingers Bicycles will respond. Or call them (541) 308-0420 for the latest update.

mtbr member
    I rode it a few times in Dec. Great winter riding. Just watch the show level, and bring a windshirt maybe. The winds can be quite blustery. Not sure about the snow right now, but since the snow is around 1600 feet on the or side I bet its good. I may be going Monday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the info, it sounds like a viable Winter spot that I'll put on my list.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Parts of Syncline are good to go right now, some arent'.

Rode it yesterday and was pretty surprised at how bad conditions were on Little Maui vs the Jeep Trail. I ride there a lot and yesterdays conditions were pretty weird. Not a lot of water coming down the jeep trail but on maui it was horrible. Not rideable and we should all stay away from that for a couple of days. Moab is good to go at this time though. I've ridden up the jeep trail when it was a river coming down and Maui was great. That wasn't the case yesterday.

We are also getting into one of those heavy freeze / thaw cycles here in the area and that will not do well for riding conditions.

At this time I wouldn't come to the area expecting excellent conditions. But you can get out there and spin some and explore some new routes on Moab.

donut

ronbo613
    You know there are other places for winter riding in the Gorge closer to Portland/Vancouver than Syncline that are probably in better shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    You know there are other places for winter riding in the Gorge closer to Portland/Vancouver than Syncline that are probably in better shape.
    Which ones?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What is the "normal" season for Syncline?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Season for me is oct-may. It's my backyard

I go when the rains come back and stop when they are less frequent and other things are more rideable. If theirs something else closer to you, go for it.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm sure it is fine but it is not nearly as fun to ride since Coyote was closed. Poor old Gorge has taken a beating in the last few years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    What is the "normal" season for Syncline?
    Year round but mainy Oct-May, what Donut is referring to is the freeze/that that makes Synclines' clay dirt stick to your bike like peanut butter.... Its slick, builds exponentially and wreaks havoc on the trail...... but you can still ride sycline and Maui right now... you just have to go at night or before 10am when the ground is frozen.

And yes there is manny great winter riding areas that are better and closer to Portland than Syncline.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Rode it with donut this weekend. Cold. Looks to be about 10 degrees from becoming a mud pit. Lots of tack.