mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Swan Creek Bike Park Grand Opening Celebration Saturday, March 29th in Tacoma

Come celebrate Tacoma's first trail system for mountain bikes! The grand opening celebration, hosted by Metro Parks Tacoma and Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance on Saturday, March 29th from 10am-3pm, includes bike demos from Trek, a poker run for fun and prizes, kid's events and more. All activities are free.

This event celebrates the completion of Phase 1 trails and includes a pump track, progression skills area, and a couple nice singletrack trails.

A good turnout at this event is an important way to show Metro Parks that you value mountain biking opportunities in their parks ... so bring your friends and family, come out, have fun, and make a difference!

Get all the details here Metro Parks Tacoma

Swan Creek Bike Park Grand Opening Celebration Saturday, March 29th in Tacoma-swan-creek-map-mpt.jpg
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    Haven't been able to come out and help lately but the opening should be fun hope to be there.

mtbr member
    Is there a good party solution in place? The area along the dead end road isnt the most ideal and kind of limited.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun to me! right in my backyard and I can compare my 2013 Trek with a '14! Thanks for the info.

I5Troll
    The party will be at the north entrance on the paved road... where the North Trailhead sign is on this map: http://goo.gl/maps/QsF7R

Swan Creek really could be theeee best event venue (training, parties, races, etc). I really hope we get to expand the trail network with a Phase 2 (in and around the Doug Fir Forest) and even a Phase 3 (added mileage in all the flat square blocks a la S Seatac).

So please stop by the party, check out the trails and show your support at the Metro Parks Tacoma tent. Bring your family and friends. Our south end families, new riders, after work riders, etc could really use your support to help us fight for more mileage down there!

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Is the phase 1 network of trails open to the public now? or do we have to wait until the event to try them out?

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Is the phase 1 network of trails open to the public now? or do we have to wait until the event to try them out?
    All trails are open now except TnT (expert dirt jumps) and the pump track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Swan Creek trails are getting rave reviews. If you can make it down for this event please do come out and ride, and show your support for more mountain bike trails in Tacoma!

This is a family-friendly venue and event.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

I5Troll
    "Last Chance" Work Parties at Swan Creek this weekend. Sat 3/22 and Sun 3/23 10am to 3pm. Evergreen MTB Calendar. Please join us if you can. Even an hour is much appreciated.

Even more important... join us at the Sat 3/29 Grand Opening! Show your support for mountain biking in the south sound, stop by the Metro Parks tent and say you want a Phase 2!!!

mtbr member
    Do you guys have any before and after pix? 2 years ago we went to a soccer tournament at the school nearby and between games wanted to take a walk in the "park", but even in midday it was a scary place. It was rundown, trash everywhere and shady things going on.

Now after Evergreen went in I have no problem taking my 7 year old there. I've talked with some of the neighbors (a couple walked over when we were unloading) and they said they really appreciate what has been done and how it has changed the park into something the community can enjoy. One guy said his kids never had an interest in biking (or playing outside for that matter) until trails went in, and now that's all they want to do! He even feels comfortable now letting his kids play in the woods, where before it was an area they tended to avoid.

I hope this area succeeds and more cities allow similar things to happen!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Do you guys have any before and after pix?
    I don't, but I'll put a call out to see if anybody has a few.

Huge thanks for bringing that up, Mr. Lynch. It's another example of how positive use will displace negative use. And it's not just for urban bike parks... it could work on the exit 47 Hansen Ridge road.

I5Troll
    Snapshot of some of the signs we'll be installing at Sat & Sun's work parties.

Swan Creek Bike Park Grand Opening Celebration Saturday, March 29th in Tacoma-swansignssnapshot.jpg

Each name has a story behind it!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

mtbr member

Re: Swan Creek Bike Park Grand Opening Celebration Saturday, March 29th in Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post

Huge thanks for bringing that up, Mr. Lynch. It's another example of how positive use will displace negative use.
    That's the goal out at the tapeworm too. So far so good! Nice work in Tacoma. The trails looked good even in the rain and the attitude among riders was mostly good. Glad to see a lot of families and new riders out there. Teach 'em young!
    Gotta love that government cheese...