Thread: Suntop trail

mtbr member

Suntop trail

Suntop trail-photo-1-.jpgRode suntop (lower loop) today there is a bit of snow on the road(fr 7160) but the trail clear except for 6 small blow downs, the largest being about 14"dia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I seem to remember some parts of the trail being extremely overgrown. It would be cool to have a work party and cut all that stuff back as it's a great trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Damn, I'm surprised suntop is ride-able this early. I remeber camping a few years back below suntop in mid june and running into a foot of snow 3/4 the way up.

mtbr member
    That area did just get a bunch of snow over the weekend and it hasnt warmed up much so I bet conditions are not good at all.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sun top is not in any condition to ride yet. Bike hike yes, ride no. Trust me. If you must, start early before the snow softens so you don't post hole up to you knees with every third step.

Edit pic:

Last edited by tductape; 06-09-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey ductape, how many trees on the trail, and how big are they?

thanks, gonna clear it soon ..

cheers, gt

mtbr member
    About a half dozen in this size category. One or two that were bigger:

A lot of branches on the trail as you would expect just waiting to tear off your rear der.

Thank you for taking the time to clean the trail.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    About a half dozen in this size category. One or two that were bigger:

A lot of branches on the trail as you would expect just waiting to tear off your rear der.

Thank you for taking the time to clean the trail.
    What? No Ritchey? Gotta let me know when your riding.

mtbr member
    LJ, lets plan a vintage bike ride on an old school trail like Sun Top later in July or early August for sure. It would be fun to get a half dozen or so classic rigid frames bombing down Sun Top together (I think the first time I rode Sun Top was the summer of 88).

As far as riding a Ritchey, no doubt they are my favorites and half way up that grind, I was wishing for my dirt drop bike, but nothing wrong with an afternoon spent on the Phoenix.

My goal is to avoid the crowds of Tiger this season and hit the trails off of 410 whenever possible in addition to riding the logging roads behind Buckley after work. So far it has made for a peaceful early start and I am digging it.

I will put together a feeler thread here in the Wa. forum and another in VRC. There are a lot of Vintage riders in the PDX area so possibly something off the 5 halfway in between (St Helens?).

Cheers,
    T

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did Suntop today. Hit snow at 4700', Trail is in good shape below that. Only 2 trees left across the trail. The horse's have made a ride around already.

One of the lower switchbacks is disappearing, and it's pretty brushy in the ground veg zones.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.