Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suntop

EMBA Member

Suntop

Rode Suntop today. First time I've been out there. Awesome trail, and perfect weather. Whoever built the forest road up the mountain did a great job not having a single flat section the entire way up! The fun never stops.

Here's some video I took showing current trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice video and switchbacks

mtbr member
    Did the ride Thursday - so very fun AND BEAUTIFUL. Sweet, sweet singletrack!
    Saddles, fins, and an isthmus to boot.

Thanks 'freakybro' for the video, and prolonging the memory.

Last time was a couple of years ago (I know, realign my priorities).
    This time was on even a better bike, so the last few miles was hoot & somewhat hold on.

The kind of ride which needs no soundtrack except a live mic, for loud vistas & downhill air
    -hope you get the loud hardware pinches removed; because I like the chesty.
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 07-29-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added wurds, clarity

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update, was hoping to get out there next weekend.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks you guys, how is the brush situation and general trail condition up there? In need of some work or good to go?

thanks, graham@evergreenmtb.org

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Generally pretty good. The lower portions of Suntop that switchback through old clearcuts could use some brushing. One switchback could use treadwork, reinforcing, and a horse shortcut blocked. I assume the trail run promoters put some work into the trail, as it was noticeably better on Sat then back in June. Skookum is also in prime shape. I didn't see any pressing trailwork issues.

mtbr member
    Concur w ACree -at least one switchback amongst the new growth needing treadwork, certainly some buildup & rebenching as wheels continually rake/cut the outside edge away . Upper parts look great, lower sections gutted into crappy mini-gully washes between the well-meaning breaks. Not sure what you can do about this; ground is dry and is "blown" away. An unending attempt at retreading this would be better than doing nothing I suppose. Not the best trail for hikers let's say.

I didn't do it
    Nice video-it really captures Suntop and it looks like you had a great day. Thanks for the Monday stoke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the beta guys, I rode Suntop yesterday, wow, awesome! I noted the swithback / shortcut in need of reworking - we are on it. Dreaming up an Evergreen 410 Fest for mid sept., 3 days, camping, riding, trail work, party, etc. Stay tuned, I will post it on the Evergreen calendar as soon as it's nailed down.

cheers, gt

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Did the triple on Sunday and all trails were in tip-top shape. At the top of Palisades/Ranger Creek it might have been a little brushy and there were 2 big trees across Ranger Creek, but I can't remember if that was before or after the shelter. A lot of evidence from people not making the Ranger Creek switchbacks...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    chmnyboy,

thanks for the beta, what diameter would you guess the trees are on Ranger? It is nice to carry the smallest chainsaw possible up that climb...

also, anyone else know above or below shelter? thanks

graham@evergreenmtb.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chmnyboy View Post
    Did the triple on Sunday and all trails were in tip-top shape.
    Burly.

A lot of evidence from people not making the Ranger Creek switchbacks...
    Haha, my partner last week took an exciting tumble midway down.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by chmnyboy View Post
    A lot of evidence from people not making the Ranger Creek switchbacks...
    I have that image in my mind right now-ouch.

mtbr member

Re: Suntop

If I can catch a ride in a shuttle rig Sunday the ranger trees can be taken care of assuming they are below where road 72 comes in.

Per grahams question with little saw we can get through about a niner outside diameter if ita close should bring the big saw but that requires trailer so any help there can save a little work but we will make it work

mtbr member
    Planning on doing the Suntop/Skookum Flats loop tomorrow for the first time. Do people generally prefer parking at the bottom of Suntop at the airstrip, or closer to the start of the climb? Not sure what Skookum is like or if there's a more 'downhill' direction to it.

Thanks!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Skookum has something like an 800ft elevation gain and it is a lot more fun going downhill! (although it is great both directions). Park at the bottom of Skookum and just follow the guide on Evergreen. The climb up the road sucks since a lot of people drive up /down it and it wil be dusty. You will climb to the start of the Suntop Singletrack and at the bottom you hang a left and ride down Skookum flats right back to your car. GREAT loop!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Thanks. I didn't know which direction was considered 'heading down' on Skookum (hard to see on the Topos too), that helps a lot.
    Tarekith.com

I didn't do it
    Keep a careful eye out for the start of the Suntop trail as well. You could be fairly tired at this point and you just might miss it. It'll be to your left after a right hand hairpin followed by a straightaway that finally flattens out a bit.
    Enjoy, it's a fun descent.

mtbr member
    Be aware that after the singletrack starts, there are still a couple climbs and they seem brutal after slugging up the logging road.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Just did this a couple weeks ago. This is exactly how I'd do it. You start going down skookum, which won't really feel like DH but does have a DH trend. Make sure to go clear to the lookout for the views. Then take the singletrack down, crossing the road twice before the singletrack climbing starts. Singletrack climbing was a mile or two. The road climb up suntop is comparable to maybe 1.5 Tigers. Never that steep though. It's a very nice grade for climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Planning on doing the Suntop/Skookum Flats loop tomorrow for the first time. Do people generally prefer parking at the bottom of Suntop at the airstrip, or closer to the start of the climb? Not sure what Skookum is like or if there's a more 'downhill' direction to it.

Thanks!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Be aware that after the singletrack starts, there are still a couple climbs and they seem brutal after slugging up the logging road.
    The first time I did this the extra climbs at the start of the singletrack were a little demoralizing. I just kept waiting for that downhill!

mtbr member
    If it's not as steep as Tiger then I'll be fine, I didn't think Corral Pass was all that bad last year when I did it either.

Thanks for the heads up on the trail location and the hidden climbs once you get there too, I'll be sure not to get too excited when I hit single track.

Just realized today is Friday and not Saturday, so I'm actually not headed out there for another day still, doh!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    How well do these trails drain after rain?

Looks like that area got a lot of rain the last two days, decided to wait until I can see the sun from Suntop.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Ok, now THAT is a lot of climbing out there on this ride! The forest service road up was not too bad, I even went to the top and had a nice conversation with an older guy staying at the look out this week. Showed me all the other lookouts you could see from his, pretty cool actually. Went back down to where the singletrack crosses the road to start the ride for real, prepared for "still a couple of climbs". Didn't realize it was still like two miles or so of constant climbing, steeper than the road up too.

Brutal is an understatement You guys that can do this and then something like Palisades or Ranger are beasts, my GPS said about 4600 total feet ascended, the most I've ever done in one day and it feels like it!

Once things finally pointed downhill for more than a couple seconds, all was good though. Super fast and flowy descent, and nice and grippy today after some of the recent rains. I like the trip down Skookum to get back to the car too, though by that point I was just damn tired and ready for a nap I can see why so many people shuttle this, even skipping the FS road you still have a decent bit of climbing to do.

Great views and ride though, and since I went midweek I didn't see another soul the entire time other than the guy staying at the lookout.
    Tarekith.com

I didn't do it
    That about sums up my experience there. The decent is fun but I'm also pretty tired by the time I hit Skookum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast