mtbr member

Summit Ridge Bike Palooza- Rider review

Saturday morning two buddies and myself decided to check out the Bike Palooza event at Summit ridge (black diamond/Lake Sawyer trails).

We preregistered so it was only $20 each, and since the money is going into trail work it seemed like a win win to me.

We arrived at the parking around a 9am and signed in to began the "event". You started off with a baggie that had a map and a card that had to be marked at each station along the route. The baggie was to hold your raffle tickets for the prize drawing later that day.

Station 1 "Tribulation Trail"
    The first Station was to simply ride the Tribulation trail, which is a great introduction to the area. It is an awesome trail that seems to get better each time I ride it. The weather was high 60s/low 70s and the trail was dry and in great shape. It was a little overgrown in a few spots, but not bad at all. The only real issue was mosquitos, but luckily one of the stations had some repellant. At the end of the Tribulation trail you got a raffle ticket for completing station 1.

Station 2 "Riding Skinnies"

It was located just off the main access road and it consisted of riding skinnies. You didn't have to do them all, or even successfully ride any, you just had to try. One "skinny" was about 12" wide which normally isn't tough for a lot of people, but since it is about 100ft long and elevated, it was fun to ride and even more fun to watch people give it a go. A few minutes of playing around and another raffle ticket and it was off the #3.

Station 3 "Log piles"

It was located across from station 2 and it consisted of 5 or 6 log piles, that got progressively bigger. It was a simple, yet fun little thing to try. We watched some great crashes on it too. A few runs thru the course, another raffle ticket and we were off to station 4.

Station 4 "Bike Toss"

Station 4 was also along the main access road, half way between station 2/3 and the Freeride park. For years there has been an old abandoned truck on the side of road and they put that truck to good use. Station 4 was a "Bike toss"! They had a 40lb full suspension huffy that you attempted to throw into the bed of the truck from the access road. It was fun to not only throw a beater bike, but to also dent up an old truck. Everyone seemed to really enjoy throwing the old bike around. After a couple successful and very entertaining throws and another raffle ticket, it was off to station 5.

Station 5 "Berm-a-nator"

Just like the name implies, station 5 consisted of taking a run down the "Berm-a-nator" trail near the end the the freeride park. Ride the trail, climb back up and collect a raffle ticket. It was a fun little trail that swooped down the hill.

Station 6 "Roll'r Derby"
    Station 6 was also in the Freeride park. like Berm-a-nator, all you had to do was ride "Roll'r Derby". This trail is listed as a blue square, intermediate trail, and it was a LOT of fun. Tons of berms, doubles, spines and various humps that could be jumped, or just rolled thru. I noticed that most people, included us, took multiple runs down this trail. After several trips down this trail we grabbed our raffle ticket and headed to the final station.

Station 7 "Hula Hoop"

Station 7 began with choosing a trail. Holly Roller 1 or Holly Roller 2. Holly Roller 1 is the longer of the two and since we had 90 minutes to kill, we chose this route. This trail has really come along and is much better than it was last year. Some nice work has been done to it and we all really enjoyed it. Both trails eventually join together and meet up with "Deliverance", another great trail in the area. about 1/2 way thru Deliverance we came across Station 7. At this station you had to hula hoop for 30 seconds (or give it a good try). We had two successful hoopsters and one failure and some great laughs, got our final raffle tickets and finished up the trail.

We got back to the main entrance and since it was nearing 12pm, we headed back to the car to drop off the bikes and headed into the Swinging Arm Tavern/Restaurant for lunch and the raffle.

Lunch consisted of a $10 pizza buffet with salad, meeting new people and checking out all the prizes. The prizes (donated by local bike shops and others businesses) included a hardtail mountain bike, a GoPro camera, bike computers, water bottles, intertubes and a ton of other stuff. The raffle began around 12:30, and the 1st number called was 701. I had 700, so I knew the winner was the person that got a ticket right after me. It turned out to be my buddy, (who earlier complained that he never wins anything) and he selected the GoPro camera. A few numbers later and my other buddy's number was called, so he selected a Wireless bike computer. It was funny because he had broke his 3rd bike computer a few weeks ago and decided he wasn't going to buy another one and just go without. A few more numbers later one of my tickets won and I got a Park Tools chain cleaner.

Even though there appeared to be 50+ people there, there were enough prizes that nearly everyone got one. The few people that didnt win got a grab bag from Darigold that contained a few fun items, including a water bottle.

Overall it was a very fun event and we had a great time. I do wish there was a little more trail riding, but it was VERY family friendly and it was put on by some great people.

i really hope they raised some good money and I cant wait to see whatelse they have in store for the area and hopefully there will be a "2nd annual" event next year!

Last word is all yours...
    Sounds awesome! BTW, what map did they hand out?
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    They handed out the same map you find on Evergreen.
    I believe the event was held strickly on the Real Life church Property, so nothing past the Freeride park was included, like the Swinging bridge trail or anything out that way.

Okay, thanks. That map is getting long in the tooth and I was wondering if a newer/better one was out there yet. Also wondering out loud to everybody... should we split the "Lake Sawyer" wiki page in two - one for Lake Sawyer trails (west of 169) and one for the Summit Ridge trails?
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Lake Sawyer and Summit Ridge already have seperate wiki's, but they appear to have the same info.

They're not separate wikis; the Summit Ridge link is a redirect I added so that when people type "Summit Ridge" into the search, they'll be redirected to the Lake Sawyer page (where the maps and other data are). What I'm suggesting is breaking the two up into separate areas, with separate descriptions. Seems like they've diverged enough to justify having their own content/photos/etc.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    It does make sense to have them seperate.

Yarrow Bay owns the property West of 169, and they plan on developing the area real soon. I'm not sure how much will be left, but going by the last area Yarrow bay developed they will bulldoze the entire area flat and put in a ton of houses.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Great ride report!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    It does make sense to have them seperate.

Yarrow Bay owns the property West of 169, and they plan on developing the area real soon. I'm not sure how much will be left, but going by the last area Yarrow bay developed they will bulldoze the entire area flat and put in a ton of houses.
    Recent article in the Seattle Times on this:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...iamond05m.html

and if you go here you can get more information incuding a somewhat detailed map of what they plan to develop:

http://www.inblackdiamond.com/

to blessed to be stressed
    Our first year we didn't want to get too carried away. We are planning on it being a yearly event. So we will be wanting to make it better and will more than likely have a long course also. Kind of like the old STM poker runs. Good things going to be happening now between Summit & Henry's Ridges'. We just got Henry's Ridge MOU signed‏ by King county, so new trail will be added there. We will be improving the trails on Summit Ridge, adding more fun features, filling in the mud holes. Its so nice to finally have an area that's not going away like the west side of 169 (also Victor falls). So now we can have sustainable trails!

there is a video:
    vimeo.com/26254224

I cant post links yet
    jimmyg

mtbr member
    I think it was a great event for the first year. Everyone I talked to had a great time! I can't wait to see what is instore for the area!

mtbr member
    I had a friend come down to run the course with me. We both had multiple problems getting down there including me trying to leave Redmond during Derby Days and having to find a post office before I headed out. Then was blocked from getting back on the highway by the 520 closure. My friend had a few problems and right before we met at the park & ride had an unfortunate incident with his bike rack. We contemplated even going at all or just going home and sleeping for a few more hours. I hadn't been to the trails or the area before so I looked up the church's address and put it into my phone. Turns out it's nowhere near the actual area. Once again thought about going home but decided to try to put the Swinging Arm in and followed the route down to that.

We ended getting there a bit late but managed to run the whole course. By the time we started down Holy Roller everyone was starting to pack up. When we came to the intersection we didn't know which way to head so I made the executive decision to head up Holy Roller 2. In hindsight, not my best idea.... We eventually made it back to the entrance and everyone was gone. Looked across the street to my car and realized that I had left the door wide open when I left. Nothing was missing though, thankfully. Rode down to the Swinging arm in time for the raffle. I ended up getting called second and got the hardtail. Not a bad bike, definitely useful to take other people riding with me. Was awesome how the raffle was run, so pretty much everyone went home with something.

Thank you for putting this event on. It was a blast. I'm glad I didn't decide to give up on the riding and head home. A few of us wondered if the attendance would be bigger if it hadn't been on the STP weekend. Also, thinking of myself here having an address for people who haven't been there before would be helpful. I'm really looking forward to next year!

Got back to Redmond and watched a few bike races from the beer garden at Derby Days It ended up being a pretty nice day.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow.

I'll have to try this next year.

I mean, it sounds like fun, and if Tim can do it.... then I probably can too.

mtbr member
    That's true, I am pretty terrible at everything.

mtbr member
    Tim-H-
    So what exactly was the bike you won? I didn't really look at it.
    What's funny is when I dropped my buddy off who had won the GoPro, his wife said it sounded like fun and she might want to start mountain biking. He was then thinking maybe he should have taken the bike.

mtbr member
    A diamondback response with x4 drivetrain, v brakes and a manitou six fork. It looks like it might have been a shop loaner at one point but in good shape, just needed a quick tuneup.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it would be a great loaner bike for getting buddies to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    Okay, thanks. That map is getting long in the tooth and I was wondering if a newer/better one was out there yet. Also wondering out loud to everybody... should we split the "Lake Sawyer" wiki page in two - one for Lake Sawyer trails (west of 169) and one for the Summit Ridge trails?
    I think it would be a good idea to split the Sawyer side from the Summit Ridge side on the Evergreen wiki page. Summit Ridge side has more projects in the works for the future and the Lake Sawyer side just isn't currently being maintained and the Summit Ridge trails are bit more technical.

Mr. Lynch,

Thanks for the post, write up and support! I have to agree with Mr. Lynchs' review, it was a great event. I don't ride a lot of XC but two of my buddies and I decided to come out for the poker run because the Summit Ridge trails are near and dear to me and the event was to promote mountain biking in the area and to support the trails. Win Win!

We were one of the first riders on the trails so we were on more of a social pace, stopping to chat with people, telling jokes, sessionning obstacles etc. with some good single track in between the check points. Those trails are really good! We had a good laugh when we got to the Huffy toss and one of us managed to toss the bike in the bed but it somehow bounced out. I didn't know Huffys were that bouncy! Our next check point was the Freeride Park! I was glad to see this on the course map. We spent entirely too much time there. B-line has been reworked and it is a fantastic trail for people to learn how to jump. I was happy to see that all the gaps were filled in and everything was rollable. It's great to see a legitimate beginner, intermediate and advanced freeride lines at the park. It was getting close to noon(beer thirty) and we had beers at the Swinging Arm on our minds so we bee lined it out on Holly Roller 1(what a great trail!) and Deliverance and we grabbed ourselves a table and had some good conversations with some great people, watched the raffle and ate pizza. Not a bad day at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Sounds like it would be a great loaner bike for getting buddies to ride.
    Yeah, exactly. Plus I love working on bikes in free time so it's another bonus.

to blessed to be stressed
    This is a message from Pastor Steve at Real life church.
    We need as many responses as possible.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Rick, (Rick Heinz, a church elder and point man for all that gets done there)
    Thank you so much for working with the Palooza team in creating a great event in our community. Every biker I met at the lunch was so grateful for the trails and one biker said to me "you guys at the church really take your name seriously, Real Life".

Because I get out to see the mountain bikers interaction with our property, watch how they interact with their families and friends as well as see the continuous use of the trails even at night, I know how valuable it is to have these trails in our community. The ones we need to communicate this to are the ones who currently finance the land and its future development.

So could we send this note out to those who participated in the Palooza or ride Summit Ridge regularly asking them to send us a short message about any of the following topics?

1. What they like about the trails, property or the Palooza event

2. Appreciation for Real Life working with the mountain bike community

3. How has mountain biking being a positive addition to their life and or family

4. The importance of the sport staying in our community

5. Why is it important for Real Life to keep these trails open

6. What other benefits are there for you and others that are being realized because of us having these trails open to the community.

7. Other…………..

please send comments to Rick Heinz
    rtheinz@ comcast.net

(once again not enough posts to have emails or links so I put a space between the @ and c)
    jimmyg

mtbr member
    Done

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Awesome to hear of the success. The mountain bikers of that area are united in a common purpose of sustainable trail stewardship through ongoing work parties to keep the trails dialed. Working with the land managers of the area to try to get as much of the existing trail system out there legitimized and access to lots of great riding opportunities for generations to come.
    The current history out there is awesome, another success story building, and people who attended the event helped out by showing up and having fun. Fantastic event, i'm real happy to hear people had a great time.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wish I could have ridden more of this-just about tore off rear derailleur about 3/4 of the way through the first ride on Tribulation-rather fitting eh? By the time I got things sorted out with some assistance from a fellow rider (THANK YOU!) and got back to the truck, to the shop for repairs and back, it was Noon. I sat with Mr Lynch's group in an open chair. Great bunch-they loaded me up with raffle tix at the end! Thanks! Nice bunch. Looking to ride more out there as it is so close to home. Hope I can hook up with some of these folks to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Palooza 2012

Thank to all you guys that attended the Palooza and for the postings. Being a first time event you really never know what to expect. If you have any specific suggestions about a Palooza 2012 let me know.