mtbr member
    May 2004

Summer skiing versus biking?

Extended Spring Skiing Season - Crystal Mountain Washington

Whelp, while good for those of us who like to ski and snowboard, it doesn't do much for the high country biking season this year...

Anyone want to pick an opening date for Corral Pass or that other Kachess place?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can't get to mad at extending my fun to put off my other fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Agreed. Having a ball sliding down the mountain now. But, we all know there will be many itching for melt out reports in the months to come.

mtbr member
    It's going to have to stop snowing first. The snow had a late start but certainly has made up for it. Last year it was mid-July for some of the high mountain rides on hwy 410.

mtbr member
    if it is anything like last year we couldn't bike Crystal until September.

I didn't do it
    Work got in the way of my winter biking and skiing fun this year so with the late winter I'm going to make a late ski season for myself. But I'll be moaning about all the snow in the high country come June.

My vote is late June for Corral Pass/Palisades.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Hmmm, what does this portend for the Kettle Crest area in mid-July?

Just roll it......
    The weather in town has been downright depressing, but we did get 10 feet at Baker last week, so it's not a total loss. It's amazing how much is skiable this season with all of the stuff filling in the various cliff bands. The slide off the arm on Thursday went before the area opened or I guarantee folks would've been taken out in this.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Summer skiing is the best!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    EB, you would be surprised to see what's open at Alpy. Even more than the BIG year of 07-08 was it?

The good news is that it looks like Watt Canyon and Roslyn/Teanaway have their average amount of snow so heading east in the next couple months may be doable.

Just hoping we don't get an extended Chinook...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cliff Mass says that data is showing that the La Nina is going to be ending by the end of April, so perhaps we can have a somewhat normal weather at the end of spring and into summer this year, rather than the extended cold spell that kept the snow lingering late last year.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog: The Revenge of La Nina

mtbr member
    I like skiing and all but last Spring/early Summer was a bummer to me. Bring on the melt I say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Someone please remind me when 'Summer' happened last year. Cause I don't remember it.

Slothful dirt hippie

Now YOU TOO can be a map nerd

Check out this link for snow telemetry data for central WA on today. Then just start stepping back the years and hitting the 'redraw' button and you can compare this season to seasons past.

One positive observation from our 'hood: looks like Devil's Gulch and other stuff east of hwy 97 might melt out sooner than last year. On the other hand, the T-way looks buried.

Of course a lot of last year's holdup was that we just didn't seem to get any warm stable weather until late August, and even then it didn't seem like much. If we get a more 'normal' spring we'll have a better shot at riding the high country before kids go back to school.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It seems like long cold winters are the new normal
    march and we averaging Jan. Temps?
    looks like a repeat of last year

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Ooopppss. Repeat.