I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Nah, they got your name from the AARP membership listing.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Strange proposition

Came home today to the usual stack of mail and found..........WTF? A WTA membership application in the mail! The letter from the ED Karen Daubert starts with, "Dear Hiker, " Who's sick joke was that? Am I the new, hipper, younger demographic they are looking for?

Anyone else get one too? (I'm wondering how the heck they even got my name and address...) Maybe EMBA sold the mailing list to generate some funding.

I didn't do it
    Ha, I did too! Nice purdy pictures and all. Lot's of young folk in the brochure as well. Gave me a good laugh. They must be doing pretty well financially to have such an elaborate direct mail fundraising strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Am I the new, hipper, younger demographic they are looking for?
    That's the Alpers that you're thinking of...

And what I find strange is that somehow Anthony's response is above your OP.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Sweet, it worked! Wait until you see the other offers I've signed you up for....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Did you buy a Discover Pass? I started getting Sierra Club and WTA mailers not long after I got mine. Speculation.

Last word is all yours...
    I got one. Considered joining.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Bob, I got the same letter, have not opened it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    i got one too. Threw it directly in the trash.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Come on you guys........... You are really closet hikers. Fess up.

mtbr member
    I can't join, I don't have a red hardhat!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Seriously though, where did that mailing list come from?

And, to coin a valid old school phrase, "If you ain't hiking, you ain't mountain biking...."

mtbr member
    I've gotten one the last couple of years, happy to donate a few bucks to wta.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I've gotten one the last couple of years, happy to donate a few bucks to wta.
    You may not if you realized how anti-biker they are at the board descision making level.

But, to each their own. They did build the GR trails and boardwalk that we can ride. (for now.) I don't trust 'em. Never have. Not as bad as the slightly more geriatric IATC. But, too close for comfort.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Seriously though, where did that mailing list come from?

And, to coin a valid old school phrase, "If you ain't hiking, you ain't mountain biking...."
    as opposed to the new school 'if you're hiking, the trail must not have flow'

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    You may not if you realized how anti-biker they are at the board descision making level.

But, to each their own. They did build the GR trails and boardwalk that we can ride. (for now.) I don't trust 'em. Never have. Not as bad as the slightly more geriatric IATC. But, too close for comfort.
    + 1, agreeing with Borneo way too often lately. If WTA spent more time doing trails like Grand Ridge and less time lobbying for Wilderness and 'protection' that excludes mtn biking I might consider joining.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm a hiker... and a climber... and a skier... and, of coarse a mountain (and road) biker. Just love to cruise around the surface of this rock under my own power (when possible... I have been known to go 4x4ing too once in a while- especially with my Fam). But if I get anything marked WTA in the mail... it gets treated like Anthrax. "Nobody touch that- it's poison"! Make no mistake about it, Borneo is right, they are the arch enemy of mountain biking! they constantly have law suits on going to close trails all over our state to ANYTHING but foot traffic. They're very crafty politically... They try to trick you into thinking they're "with" you to get your money... and then you find out they used it against you. WTA is considered a "four letter word" in the Packwood/Randle area... and thats a direct quote from Forest Service personnel! They have lawyers amongst them that know how to even use tax payer $$ to sue the tax payer's them selves... very sneaky! DON'T TRUST THEM!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Got one too. I suspect they got the mailing list from Forest Pass or Discover Pass purchases.

Tossed it right in the garbage -- only thought given to it was spent wondering how much that fancy envelope cost to print.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    change from within
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    change from within
    You have me gigglin' Shiggy.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    change from within
    Good luck with that.

i don't think there is a complete agenda of WTA against cycling, but they are extremely anti motorized, and will support any measure that excludes access even when mt. bikers are collateral damage to the effort. And many within the ranks are probably happy with that as well.

i think it's important for all mt. bikers to examine the 80's and 90's and how mt. bikers were actively excluded access. Mt. bikes used to be able to ride in Wilderness areas, and in National Parks, and at DNR lands so on so forth.

Only 30 years later after working for decades are we hearing about success stories of actually keeping or gaining access.

But we still have will lose more access before we start equalizing with our gains. And it's for many times being caught in the crossfire, as WTA members will support movements that have put us in the position where we have to work hard to keep, maintain access. Let alone be on the docket for opportunity for new trail. South Fork took nearly 20 years? to come to fruition and it's road to trail conversion, woo hoo! Thank you sir may i have another?

Usually we never end up better than where we started on these deals.

So it think on the surface it's hard for most to understand how or why i don't offer ra ra support for WTA. i think it's great, how they are set up, and they do alot of great things. But i've always supported the notion as a user-group we shouldn't join them per se but we should be using their model and we can independently do things on our own. That's why i support Evergreen having a Trail Crew Leader program, and why i'll try to be out for as many of those work parties as i can when this Duthie project wraps up.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    It occurs to me that if two highly successful and politically experienced natural recreation/conservation organizations are using the Government mailing lists...shouldn't EMBA follow their lead...spread a little MTB propoganda. Maybe they already do but I sure get a lot of letters from the other guys.

The funny thing is the junk mail from Sierra is half an inch thick with paper. It always seems strange that a "protect the land (from knobby tires)" group cuts down so many trees to spread the word. Maybe that's what happened to Tokul.

If these groups were really pro-bike, I'd join in a minute as our causes would align.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    It occurs to me that if two highly successful and politically experienced natural recreation/conservation organizations are using the Government mailing lists...shouldn't EMBA follow their lead...spread a little MTB propoganda. Maybe they already do but I sure get a lot of letters from the other guys.

The funny thing is the junk mail from Sierra is half an inch thick with paper. It always seems strange that a "protect the land (from knobby tires)" group cuts down so many trees to spread the word. Maybe that's what happened to Tokul.

If these groups were really pro-bike, I'd join in a minute as our causes would align.
    Hope the EMBA can find a better way to spread the word than the "foot traffic only" crowd! (for what it's worth, I love hiking and especially love to combine biking and hiking). I actually joined the Sierra Club when I was a junior in high school ('78)... was a different thing then! These kind of orginizations changed around the mid -80's... after a few years of mountain bikes riding in the wilderness. People panicked! Several reasons: tire tracks for one- some folks just can't handle 'em! Truth is, different Wilderness's have different needs- some ARE very fragile and can barely handle hikers... others could handle mtb's just fine... and most in Washington State- let's just say the majority of mtber's might not have the "gumption" (or the "want") to handle the required "hike-a-bike" to tackle anyway! In Europe they say "if you can take a mountain bike there, you can take a mountain bike there".

We used to ride in the Goat Rocks, the William 'o Douglass and the Norse Peak Wilderness' all the time (and a few others that weren't even wilderness yet (i.e. the Sawtooth Wilderness) before the self serving more politically powered groups pulled the plug. The "opposition" had strong political organization, lobbyist's & $$... mtber's at the time were just riding our bikes and having a great time... didn't know what hit us!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    self serving more politically powered groups pulled the plug. The "opposition" had strong political organization, lobbyist's & $$... mtber's at the time were just riding our bikes and having a great time... didn't know what hit us!
    And that is STILL happening today. IMBA buckles from the inside to the pressure, which is one of the things i appreciate about Evergreen. Whether or not i agree or disagree on stuff at least decisions aren't made as if walking on eggshells.

i really wonder if things had been different, and a reasonable approach had been taken to nurture mt. biking instead of quashing it. i just try to wonder how things would be. Something like Duthie would have happened 10 years earlier perhaps, more time spent riding, and helping find ways of helping trails, nurturing stewardship, building community efforts. Instead we're left with folk that have to work 10 times as hard leveraging always from a position of weakness, making tough decisions where the end result is usually disagreeable.

Again i hate to bring up Duthie, but it's a really good example where a land manager stepped forward in a huge way to allow mt. bikers freedom and real support. Out of the other end is a success. You only need to go and ride around a sunny weekend and observe the cross-section of riders to see, that if you build it, they will come.

But more to my point what would our community look like if we would have had this type of approach all along.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../