Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Bikes

Rider

No good Stolen Bikes

So unfortunately I woke up to having 3 bikes stolen from my garage. some lowlife made out with some of my favorite bikes and even stole my 661 straight jacket and helmets!

07 Transition Gran Mal Black with blacked out 888 and a flat crowns, white dirty 30's, kona wah wah's, ODI Rogue Grips, Function flat Crown with integrated steam. I hae not seen many Function flat crowns around so this will be a give-a-way.

07 Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho Blue stock with silver super T's, Golden Sunline v one bars, ODI Rogue Grips, gold RaceFace front ring

05 Scattante Road bike R650 Silver stock.

I will give anyone a reward for the whereabouts or return of my bikes no questions asked.

Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Really sorry to hear about your loss. I know how angry you must feel, hopefully your homeowners insurance will cover it. I had my new Epic stolen out of a bike shop last summer, had it covered by their insurance, but still..................

Rider
    Super pissed right now. I really loved all the bikes and had them setup just right. what a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Been there...

A year ago my wife left the garage door opened overnight and some low life made off with my 2006 Enduro Pro. Just had the fork Pushed and like you, it was setup just the way liked it. Luckily I pretty much had all the receipts from building up the bike over the years. I also knew exactly which parts were installed and was able to compile a list. My insurance (State Farm) had me take the list to a LBS and get an estimate for replacement cost. It ended up working out pretty well for me. For $1000 deductible I got a sweet $7K bike (Ibis Mojo HD, I9 Enduros, Pushed Monarch RC3 Plus, RP23 (extra shock), Haven bars, XT 10sp cranks, X.9 shifters/RD, XT785s, Reverb etc). And it was really fun building up a new ride.

Now if only they had take my Demo9 and Moto-lite, then I could have built up 3 new bikes.

If you called the police to file a report, and you've got home owners insurance and they pay replacement cost then other than time, you should be in good shape for replacing the stolen items.

By the way, after my incident I started locking my bikes in my garage. And..after each ride...I thank my wife for leaving the garage open.

Good luck!

PS
    About 1.5 months later I found the frame, cranks, seatpost and saddle for sale on craigslist. Called the detective on the case. They setup a meeting to buy and arrested the guy. The guy of course said he didn't know it was stolen and that he found it dumpster diving. It was stripped of everything you could take off with an allen wrench or wire cutters. Still had the XT cranks, rear shock, chris king BB, xt spd pedals, thomson seatpost, saddle and part of the CK headset. I got the frame back and almost have it built up again from spare parts.
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My 06 enduro was stolen from in front of my house a couple summers ago. I got it back about 3 weeks after it disappeared. I filed a police report and supplied the serial number on the report. Got a call during the day from a Sheriff asking if I'd like to come pick my bike up at the Pawn Shop it was pawned at in South Everett.

Turns out pawn shops are required by law to register serial numbers for everything they take in. These numbers get matched against a state maintained database of serial numbers entered from reported stolen items. Hopefully you'll get lucky like I did.

Rider
    So Terrible News, I had replaced two of the bikes and they were just stolen again.

2011 Specialized Pitch Pro

REAR SHOCK
    Fox RP2, 2 position shock with ProPedal, rebound adj., 7.875x2.25"
    FORK
    Custom RockShox Sektor RL, Motion Control damper, Solo Air, alloy steerer, reb adj., 20mm Maxle Lite axle, 150mm travel
    HEADSET
    1 1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM
    Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise
    HANDLEBARS
    Specialized All-Mountain low-rise, 6061 butted alloy, 720mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up, 31.8mm
    GRIPS
    Specialized lock-on, S/M: Grappler, Other: Rocca
    FRONT BRAKE
    Custom Avid Elixir 5 R SL, hydraulic disc, tool-less reach adj., alloy backed organic pads, G3 Clean Sweep rotor, 203mm
    REAR BRAKE
    Custom Avid Elixir 5 R SL, hydraulic disc, tool-less reach adj., alloy backed organic pads, G3 Clean Sweep rotor, 185mm
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic, tool-less reach adj.
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano FD-M660-E SLX, double specific E-type for DMD, top swing, bottom pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X.9, 9-speed, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS
    SRAM X.5, 9-speed, trigger
    CASSETTE
    Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN
    KMC X9, 9-speed, w/ reuseable Missing Link
    CRANKSET
    Truvativ GXP2 2.1, 2-piece crank set, outboard bearing, S: 170mm, M/L: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS
    36A x 24A, 4-bolt, 104/64mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    SRAM GXP, outboard bearing
    PEDALS
    Resin Test Ride Pedals with toe clips, CEN std.
    RIMS
    Pitch disc-specific, pin joint, eyelets, 26mm, 32h
    FRONT HUB
    Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, sealed cartridge bearing, 20mm thru-axle, 32h
    REAR HUB
    Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h
    SPOKES
    1.8mm (15g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE
    Specialized Eskar Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 26x2.3"
    REAR TIRE
    Specialized Eskar Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 26x2.3"
    INNER TUBES
    Ultralight presta valve
    SADDLE
    Specialized BG Enduro, 7mm steel rails
    SEATPOST
    6061 alloy, 2-bolt micro adjust, setback head, 30.9mm, S/M:350mm, others:400mm
    SEAT BINDER
    34.9mm clamp ID, 7050 hard annodized alloy collar w/ QR, black
    Last edited by robin_hood; 08-09-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Rider
    Last edited by robin_hood; 08-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    thieves suck, but maybe you need to do more to secure your stuff... were they stolen from the same garage?

hopefully you'll get luckier and find them this time around.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

Rider
    I had secured my Garage with 3 deadbolts, and locked the bikes inside my garage with a long cable.
    Last edited by robin_hood; 07-16-2012 at 05:53 PM.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    I had secured my Garage with 3 deadbolts, and locked the bikes inside my garage.
    Condolences...that is some pretty f'ed up bad-luck! Hope they're spotted locally...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Considering how frustrating it is just to read about the double-dose of thievery you've experienced, you must be smoking mad. I hope you eventually find the person(s) responsible. I sometimes wonder if bike thieves should be treated like the horse thieves in the wild west.

You might consider adding in a motion detector alarm in the garage. Even if you don't have an alarm system it would be pretty easy to retrofit a security light to some sort of noise maker... or maybe some sort of 007 death ray.

Cheesiest
    Man...that sucks! I hope you get these ones back and I would definitely booby-trap the place with cameras for the next sucker who tries.

Rider
    I will be putting up some remote cameras in the Garage for any future dbags that try and break in.

Rider
    If anyone has contact from someone at Specialized I need to recover my serial number for the Pitch. pm me if you have an email or phone number

mtbr member
    too bad there isn't some way to safely electrify them overnight, so that anyone attempting to lift them would get a nice strong zap...
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

gravity fighter
    I had secured my Garage with 3 deadbolts, and locked the bikes inside my garage with a long cable.
    Damn that sucks.
    Time to move to a new neighborhood or keep the bikes inside and sleep with a shotgun close by.

Rider
    they will be staying in the guest room from now on, the wife will not be to happy but I will not have them taken again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    #1 - That is absolute BullS**t.

#2 - It has to be someone in your neighborhood. Only they would know that you've got those bikes in your garage.

#3 - Time to set up a sting operation. That is how much $$$ in bikes stolen from your garage now?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    where do you live? gotta make sure I don't move to that area. :s

Where are serial numbers on bikes? I want to know mine and store it somewhere just in case.

That really sucks man. I can't believe it happened twice. Sorry to hear.

-joel

Rider
    I live in a nice area around ... very low crime in the area that I have heard of.

everyone should have all the Serial numbers for all their bikes!
    Last edited by robin_hood; 08-10-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Just roll it......
    Yeah, dude.....it's an inside job (meaning someone in the neighborhood) for sure. I'd put up security cameras for sure.

Curious. With all of the new precautions, how did they get in? Just cut the deadbolts? Can't your garage door be locked from the inside too?

VERY sorry to hear.
    EB

I didn't do it
    Was anything else taken? It must be the same thieves both times. I like the sting operation idea by the way-it seems like you would have a fairly decent chance at luring them in once again.

Anyhow that sucks man. Like most people I'll keep an eye open for the missing hardware.

mtbr member
    I live in a nice area around greenlake, very low crime in the area that I have heard of.

everyone should have all the Serial numbers for all their bikes!
    My good buddy lives a couple blocks from Greenlake. He mentioned the other day that this year in particular it seems like there is more theft/vandalism in the area. They recently cleaned out their garage so they could park their car in the garage rather than the driveway.

It does seem like you are being targeted. To go through 3 deadbolts they had to know what they were trying to get. You don't just do that in hopes of finding some random thing of value.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow, really sorry, does your homeonwers policy help out when this kind of thing happens? You've got a bunch of dough wrapped up in these losses. Thieves should DIAF!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast