mtbr member

Stevens pass, how many laps are you guys doing?

I just got home from my first Stevens trip of the year, actually we were the first two down the trail today!

We did 3 laps on lichen it, 5 on the wookie, and 10 on rock cruiser. 41 miles in 5 hours with a lunch break.

We were both riding late model enduro's and by the end, we were pretty tired and beat up.

I'm wondering, how long and how many laps are all you guys riding at Stevens?

I'm in decent shape, and my heart rate hit 187ish on every lap.

We were getting down rock crusher in like 5 min 30ish, and wookie about 8 min.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    About the same, roughly 20 laps in 4-5 hours.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    20-25 laps is a good day. The most ive got in is 36 laps and I was destroyed!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: Stevens pass, how many laps are you guys doing?

Holy crap! You are a machine!

mtbr member
    Figure if we are paying money i want to get as many runs as we can!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I'm still pretty sore two days later, and I didn't even crash!!

I was just looking at my heart rate during the whole ride, the last 17 laps, I was between 180 and 190 as my max heart rate, but on the first lap, my max was 222! Holy ****!

I need to start either drinking or taking a Valium to relax a bit.

mtbr member
    Went up yesterday for the first time and was very impressed. Picked up my buddy in Kirkland (Totem) and it took 1:20 to the parking lot. Was expecting it to be sketchy/underbuilt/underdesigned but it was more like a mini-Whistler. All three trails were challenging and very well built. We just rotated through the three trails and got 12 or 13 laps in before the legs were getting wobbly. 20+ is really strong.

My personal favorite was Slingshot Wookie - a bit slower and super technical but really enjoyed the other two also. Going back to a previous thread on the best tech trails, Lichen and Wookie would easily be top 5. Lichen is higher speed with a less super-gnar. I'd call Rock Crusher a cross between Crank-it-up and A line. Many A-line size tables and berms but also many smaller jumps like CIU. The 6 connected high berms near the end was a blast.

Definitely need a plush bike to appreciate these trails and or survive all day. I started with my Fox 36 at 75psi which was waaay to stiff (Seattle riding). After lunch the helpful Stevens shop staff adjusted back to 50psi after lunch as well as adjusting the rear shock. Amazing difference as the bike started launching off lips and destroying rock gardens. We all got blisters on our thumbs and ended up taping our hands there and across the palms which took a lot of the sting out of some of the bumpy sections.

My friend was so impressed he bought a season pass and I'm sure I'll be back a few times. Well done Stevens Pass. Looking forward to more trails in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Was there yesterday too. 4:08 pm to 5:38 for 5 laps with breaks mid-lap or I get too tired and make stupid mistakes.

Gotta say: Lichen It, as it is now, is far from my idea of a true blue run, at least comparing to the blues I've done at Whistler or at our local Duthie hill park. Last year, LI was not half as hard as what I rode yesterday. I was on my big bike and there were several times when I was saved by it. I remember last year, some locals were telling me that LI is the same difficulty as RC, and even then I didn't agree but this year it's a whole different ball game.

And if SPBP is listening: my older daughter (who's been to Whistler and done EDI, B-line, etc.) rode RC last weekend but chose to miss this weekend because it was a bit too much for her current skill level. She didn't wipe out and now is motivated to practice (at Doofie) before coming up again - but if there were a green run, she'd have come with me. Even our younger daughter would come if there is a green run.

mtbr member
    I think comparing to Whistler and other alpine bike parks Lichen is a solid blue...but yes would be a black at Duthie (i.e. Braveheart.) I might take my 12 year old down it and expect some struggles or a long run. I wouldn't take my wife down it unless I wanted a divorce. That said, our last run was on Lichen with some lady-riders we met and I could barely keep up.

Hard to compare LI and RC as they are totally different trail types. They are comparable in that riders of a certain level could ride both successfully.

I did see a Dad taking what looked like a 10ish year old down Wookie. Didn't look good.

mtbr member
    I have a 180mm bike and a 150mm bike and I think RC and Lichen It are a lot more fun on the 150mm bike. They are both a bit pedally compared to trails at Whistler.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Interesting as my buddy rode his Blur LT (150mm) and had no trouble; but I put him in the "no fear" rider class. I like having the error correction, stiffness, and slack head angle of the longer fork. Plus the 150 be more taxing on your body over many runs

Agree on the pedally comment. It seems like Whistlers main lift goes higher and the slope has more angle to work with than SPBP. Trying to think of where I pedaled on RC...not many places but I guess toward the bottom there are some flat run outs. I think I was so tired, I just didn't pedal.

mtbr member
    Last year was 17 laps. 2/3rds split between Rock Crusher and Wookie. I'll see if I can do more on Saturday.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    Really wanting to head up to Stevens and check it out, I plan bringing both my bikes but what are most people riding? Dirt jumpers, full sus? Or just whatever. I have a few different set ups I can put on either bike just wondering what's works best?

mtbr member
    80% serious DH sleds. Some free-ride and all-mountain. No 29ers! I rode a Cannondale Claymore with 180mm Fox 36 set to PLUSH and did fine. All the trails can be ridden by XC/All-mountain but the question how long before the bike breaks or the rider.

mtbr member
    It is VERY rocky there, you'll get hammered all day, even on the intermediate runs. 6.5" travel here and it's the minimum I'd want for fast runs or wookie. I could do it on less travel it just wouldn't be fun for very long.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Last word is all yours...
    Adding my own thoughts on the "which bike for SPBP" question... I've done all the trails on both a DH bike (rental Session 8) and an AM bike (my own '10 Enduro). A DH bike is going to give you a softer ride/longer day by translating less shock to your body on the bumps - and I should note that the bumpiest element of all the trails are the brake bumps, not the rocks. That said, I find that I'm having more enjoyable air time on my Enduro. So with the right 6x6 burly AM bike, and good line choice, you can smoke down all three trails. I just came back from riding there on my Enduro and wasn't wishing for any more bike than I had.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Based on this thread, I decided to find out for myself which was better, so I brought my 6.5" Chilcotin with 170mm Lyrik, and 7.7" V-Tach, with 200mm 888. 34 lbs versus 49 lbs.

The Chili (6.5")
    Did amazing well, and was faster on Rock Crusher than the V-Tach. It was more enjoyable on Rock Crusher and Lichen It due to the playfulness of a smaller bike. Jumping was easier and I could hit the transitions farther down. It did take a bit more work on Lichen It, as the smaller bike puts your body more forward, so you are using your upper body more in the rough stuff.

The V-Tach (7.7")
    The V-Tach was solid of course, and ploughed through everything. This was a must have on Wookie. The Chili didn't come close to matching the V-Tach in terms of hitting the trail at racing speeds.
    On Rock Crusher and Lichen It, the V-Tach was fine of course, but I found that when I was more tired, later on in the day (I did 16 runs) this was the safer bike to be on.

Overall, I decided I'll only take the big bike next time. It's better for the rough trails, and safer towards the end of the day, and will hold up to the abuse of shuttle trails better than the trail bike. Also lets you hit the rock slab roller on Lichen It with a bit more confidence.

Final note for others; this decision will largely depend on the type of rider you are. If you like to blast down each trail at the highest speed your abilities will allow, then I think the big bike is the way to go. (this is me)

If you are the type who goes a bit slower, isn't trying to get KOM on Strava, and stops midway down the trail to take in the sights and do some bird-watching, then I think a smaller 6.5" bike would be better.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I also only bring the big bike lately. (Did all 3 runs on my FR last year)