Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Stevens Bike Park: Friendly for beginner girlfriend?

Thinking about checking out Stevens Pass this weekend but I noticed there are only intermediate/advanced trails open. Bringing my girlfriend who has never ridden before. Any feedback on what those lines are like?

Is everything rollable? Renting her a dh bike but she has not ridden before. Hoping we can just cruise down some flowy trails but I don't know what they are like!

mtbr member
    I would say no. Everything on rock Crusher is rollable, but there are steep sections, high speed areas and HUGE berms that are sometimes loaded with rocks and brake bumps. With only 3 trails up there you do get a lot of people ripping down Rock Crusher at high speed, which can be intimidating for new riders.

Most beginner riders will get freaked out and not want to ride more than one run. There is no easy cruiser run at the moment. You would probably end up spending $130+ for one run that wasn't fun for her.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    +1..
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Definitely NOT beginner friendly.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good to know thanks, we'll probably just head up to whistler instead.

Just roll it......
    IMO, if your girlfriend doesn't know some basics like braking, shifting, cornering, weight distribution, etc. then any bike park is going to be a very bad experience. At the very least, she should know how to ride on trails.

If you want her to enjoy learning and you want to continue your relationship, I'd advise you buying her some personal lessons through Kat Sweet, Evergreen or other coaches. It will be the best money you've ever spent for both her biking skills and, most importantly, your relationship. Trust me.

EB

not your average bear
    May 2005

Stevens Bike Park: Friendly for beginner girlfriend?

You can bring her, but you'll be sorry...

mtbr member
    There is a race this weekend an the park will be closed to anyone who is not racing. Also, not the best for a total beginner. They really need a couple of green trails to help new riders get into downhill. Maybe next year after they finally finish the new jump line.

mtbr member
    There's another race this weekend?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    That's right there is a race this weekend. I believe it is the final leg of the NW Cup or whatever they call it.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Speaking as a woman (who also used to teach women's whitewater kayaking), before you go to Whistler, or Stevens, take her to Duthie and ride Bootcamp a bunch of times.

If that goes well try Movin' On. But DO NOT push her to just step up and ride where you like to ride or you will both suffer.

If, and that's a big IF, she is doing well AND having fun at Duthie, consider going up to Squamish and riding Alice Lake if you really want a road trip. Or go to Whistler but get her in a lesson ASAP so she learns some skills and gains confidence before freaking herself out, or hurting herself (or you).

Have fun!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    No...unless you're looking to be single.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For a novice, it would be a lot of work with little or no reward. The trails are extremely bumpy, and even with an 8" bike my hands were sore just from hanging on. I had fun with the jumps and the turns on Rock Crusher, but if I wasn't able to enjoy those, I would have considered it a wasted trip.

See Stacy's message regarding more enjoyable ways to get into biking. Bootcamp is where I took my wife for her first trail riding experience as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    Speaking as a woman (who also used to teach women's whitewater kayaking), before you go to Whistler, or Stevens, take her to Duthie and ride Bootcamp a bunch of times.

If that goes well try Movin' On. But DO NOT push her to just step up and ride where you like to ride or you will both suffer.

If, and that's a big IF, she is doing well AND having fun at Duthie, consider going up to Squamish and riding Alice Lake if you really want a road trip. Or go to Whistler but get her in a lesson ASAP so she learns some skills and gains confidence before freaking herself out, or hurting herself (or you).

Have fun!
    This x 1000! I didn't do this, and my wife hated our first outing, and that was just Japanese Gulch. Steven's would have been a wasted day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    For a novice, it would be a lot of work with little or no reward. The trails are extremely bumpy, and even with an 8" bike my hands were sore just from hanging on. I had fun with the jumps and the turns on Rock Crusher, but if I wasn't able to enjoy those, I would have considered it a wasted trip.
    I'm the opposite...like the tech and gnar of the other two trails more vs the jumpy flow of RC.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Weirdo.

:P

mtbr member
    Jumps are scary.

mtbr member
    Properly built jumps can result in some of the best times you can every have with your pants on (off as well, but I like bikes more than the ladies at this current stage of my life which is probably a bit weird).

The jumps on RC are not really that well built. The step-up and last 3 tables on Wookie are pretty good. On a trail like A-Line I can case the majority of the jumps with few consequences and improve over time. Hopefully the new trail will offer some A-Line/Dirt Merchant type goodness. If that trail opens I will be back up to lap the jumps over and over and over again.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kamsbry View Post
    On a trail like A-Line I can case the majority of the jumps with few consequences and improve over time. Hopefully the new trail will offer some A-Line/Dirt Merchant type goodness. If that trail opens I will be back up to lap the jumps over and over and over again.
    I'm really hoping the new line works out that way too... Jumps are the fun part. Riding is just a convenient way to travel between the jumps.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

RE: Stevens Bike Park: Friendly for beginner girlfriend?

I was soooo stoked for Stevens during construction and visited opening day. I knew I should have had low expectations, but I was incredibly disappointed nonetheless. It was such a muddy mess and the trails were so incomplete I couldn't imagine it being fun even in good conditions.... I was wrong! I didn't return until Labor Day this year and I was so stoked! No, RC isn't a Dirt Merchant, Freight Train or A-Line, but it's a blast! Lichen it is friggin awesome! I brought my three oldest sons (8, 11, 13) and they were shredding it and we all lamented that we "wasted" the entire summer season. We'll be back as regulars for sure next season.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    What bike was your 8 year old riding?

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

Big Bikes for Little Dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    What bike was your 8 year old riding?
    8 year old: Kona Stinky 24 - swapped out the spring on the shock for the lightest Fox makes and dialed up the rebound damping, swapped out the coil fork for an air fork so we can run it at super low pressures (the coil fork is a joke on a bike that size, Kona shouldn't have spec'd that fork on the OEM)
    11 year old: Specialized GromHit 24 - it kills me that Specialized stopped making this bike, we got one of the last ones made a couple years ago, frame is slightly larger than the Kona, but still sized for 24" wheels
    13 year old: Santa Cruz Nickel (Small) - I was worried my oldest was going to suffer on a trail bike (the other two bikes are dedicated kid-DH rigs) with slightly steeper geometry but he loved it (he used to ride the GromHit). I was going to put some DH casing tires on the Nickel but ran out of time, trail conditions were primo, so no need for a bigger tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Our 16-y-o daughter rides the easy trails at Duthie (Boot Camp, Jabulani) and enjoyed some green + blue Whistler runs with a guide this season. She's been twice to Stevens. The first time she got 3 runs on RC, and was intimidated a bit. She still wants to ride Stevens but asks me to take her to Duthie more to "train"

Definitely get her some lessons. If you have patience and a knack for teaching, and she is well-coordinated and a quick learner - you *may* be OK. You will have to go very slow in front of her and stop very very often. Having said this, it's more likely that things will turn ugly, as pointed out by many above.

mtbr member
    I think Tiger is a good gauge. If you can't handle Preston RR and ride it at a decent pace, you're not ready for Stevens. I'm not saying you have to fly down Tiger, but if you can descend at a steady pace without stopping for techy spots or getting intimidated you will probably do fine at Stevens.

Whistler on the other hand has stuff even beginners can enjoy. My wife rode a few laps of Easy-does-it and b-line her first time up and had a blast without getting scared. The Green circle trails up there really are beginner friendly, and it is one thing missing from Steven's.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    @Fletch - that's awesome you've got a full line up of sons out riding!! I've got a 5yo son and hope he'll be into some DH in a couple years. I might have to keep my eye out for one of those gromHits.

@lernr - I just can't think duthie is a good training ground for the stevensbikepark. Duthie is way too groomed. I'm willing to bet the places your daughter is intimidated are the bumpy, steep, rocky, loose sections. Those probably include all the big berms especially the middle section of berms in the trees then the exit out of those berms where it's steep and loose and you gotta stay on the left otherwise you're just skidding down the hill. Duthie doesn't have anything like that!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast