mtbr member

state of the SST ?

Buddy of mine is suggesting we do some trail riding at SST. He hasn't been there in years and I've never been. Is there some okay light trail riding to be had? Apologies if this has been covered recently, I'm hampered by posting from my phone at the moment...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do you mean Salisbury Steak Trail at Galby or do you mean South Seatac.

If you meant South Seatac here's the scoop.

The park has been renamed Des Moines Creek Park. The SCORE jail is complete, old Flowpark is completely gone, except for the very start of it. The trail rounds the corner, you have the old rockery drop, right into a fence for the jail. It's pretty surreal looking at it.

Gone are the XC trails that were near the Flowpark below the coul de sac. All the rest of it is still there. The road separating the sand section from the hill section (18th ave) has a new fence, and there are 2 openings on each side so you can go back and forth.

So it's still a cool place for an afterwork ride, and a great place to bring kids, and groms.

The other really cool thing about it, you can park down at the Des Moines Marina. Ride the now all paved Des Moines Creek trail up to the trails. You have a safe place to park, you ride up an easy grade for a mile, ride the trails, coast back to the cars when you're done and have a nice bbq on the beach as you watch the sun set.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Sorry for the confusion, yeah, I meant South Sea-Tac.

Thanks for the all the info!

mtbr member
    I had forgotten about this as well:
    Trail:South SeaTac - Evergreen Trail Guide

Note that they mention frequent break-ins at parks' parking lot. I also like that it has been updated quite recently and mentions drainage and trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the info Skookum! Had a great time out there today. I had forgotten that i had done some research on the place months ago and at that time was thinking it might be creepy out there, but it wasn't.

There's a new road which we figured must be for the jail that kind of cuts the area in half now. The lower half (nearer the Des Moines Creek Trail) was right about my comfort level - mostly ride as fast as I can through twisty trails surrounded by close brush and low trees, with gentle rises. Across the street is the part near where the flow park used to be, and there are still a few jumps and banks left there, but at times it is steeper over there. Once I'm in a little better shape and get to know the trails a little better over there that will be a little more enjoyable. There is one part of that area that is a little hard to figure out how to get out of but we managed eventually! I wouldn't suggest exploring over there just before dusk!

I'm sure this area is too tame for lots of folks, but for those of us just looking for some fun trail riding or just getting into the sport it is great to have a place this close by to do it!

Also, I was prepared to get quite muddy, but all the trails were nicely packed and with the soil being as sandy as it is it drains really well. We were quite surprised, the ground was barely damp, not muddy at all. I think that given the terrain this area might be ridable throughout much of the winter.