mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New question here. State Patrol & other Tri-Cities Areas

I'm relatively new to the Tri-City area and have just started biking again. Some friends and I have been rolling out to State Patrol when we get off shift and it's been awesome riding again. I'm curious if there are any "trail-bosses" on the forum who plan work parties for the trails. I'd love to get involved if I can. I work with one of the original riders who first started cutting trail way back in the day (Fred of the"Fred & Jon's" trail), and thought it would be cool to contribute to what he started.

I'd also love to hear about any other good spots in the area, preferably on the south side of the Columbia river, although I don't mind branching out if needs be. Are there any pump tracks or dirt jumps suitable for an old MTB rider who's a noob to jumping, with a hot new ride and looking to eat dirt? I think I saw a very short dirt jump track along 10th in Kennewick one day, but it looked pretty haggard, and was possibly part of someone's backyard (with the jumps on the outside of the existing fence, but maybe still on the back stretch of their property).

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would stop in and talk to the guys at Scott's Cycle and Sports in Kennewick. They sponsored an enduro race team last season and seem to be in the know about what happens at State Patrol. I can't imagine much trail work happening out there this time of year with the sandy soil conditions, but maybe some trash cleanup parties or something.

For additional riding around here you'll have to drive a little. Echo, OR is a good spot, about 45 minutes away just east of Hermiston off I-84. It's sagebrush riding very similar to State Patrol. If you head out 397 toward Finley there are some trails at Finley Hills, but I've never ridden there. The advice I got when I mentioned riding out there to a shop mechanic at Markee's was "take someone with you that is familiar with the area". Chamna has some trails open to mtbs, but there is no elevation change there. Badger mtn has a few trails open to mtbs as well. That's about it around here. Good riding, unfortunately, is going to come with a drive.