Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It might be too late, but a fat bike would be fun on the pumice. Rode the loop Thursday and it was in awesome condition. The loop is far more satisfying for me. The Ape descent last's about three minutes and is typically too busy to be properly enjoyed. Big thanks to Ken for his efforts on the "secret" road climb. The new path through the logs is great too!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Rode the loop today with mrs. rockman. Awesome adventure ride. No navigation issues and found the turnoff to the climb. There isn't a large cairn (with a stick) or sticks making an arrow or anything. But there are three small, over-grown looking cairns.

Thanks for all the info in this thread and trail work.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

El Malo
    Thanks for the work Ken, et al...
    That loop is not for everyone, I've come to realize, after touring all kinds of friends out there. I find that for those used to seeing a higher yield of tech' and descent the pedal hardly seems worthy if not for the killer scenery. For me, it's always been about time on my bike with friends at St Helens.
    Yo Flash, the CC route may seem appealing on paper but the busiest section is the Ape Canyon trail, which is not fun given the traffic it sees during the day... and finishing off a loop that size with a major hike a bike up
    pumice beach plus a road ride back to the truck is not quite the donkey punch
    OTOH, doing a CC OAB from WindyRidge Visitor's Center down to the bottom of the Ape TH by pulling down a dusk descent and a climb back by the light of full moon, adding the usual shenanigans with the crew, is a certified sweet ticket on St Helens
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    Just to comment, I had the loop with the short-cut climb at 19 miles and 4400' of climbing with my garmin. Also, Ape Canyon was a zoo on Saturday. I couldn't imagine that being much fun riding back downhill against the uphill hiking and biking traffic.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    recent heavy rains turned the Ape Canyon ride into pure wonderfulness. amazed to see no water or mud anywhere. moisture % was perfect.

the word is certainly out on that ride. worldwide word. talked w/ people from Germany, Switzerland, Quebec. our car was the only Wa. rig. California, Orego-ners, & Utah.

we lucked out on the timing. everybody we got out of the way for were met on the uphill sections. one rider on the downhill. yeehaw
    breezy shade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2