Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties

Great new for the those who ride St. Eds. Many of you are aware of the substantial erosion that the pipeline trail that has seen this year (it parallels Holmes Point Drive on the north side). The state park has given us the approval to re-route this trail. The end goal is to create two much more sustainable trails, one of which will be more interesting for hikers to ascend and decend...the other will be tailored to draw descending bike traffic away from the other trail

We need your help in making this happen. The first 3 work parties are now scheduled and posted to the EMBA Calendar.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    Just broke my hand so I know I can't make the first two, hopefully I'll be healed enough to make the third one!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just signed up on Evergreen. I know I sure owe St. Ed's some trail work!

mtbr member
    That trail would be perfect for some jumps! Oh wait....

Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Saw the layout plan. Looks really fun (seems every place needs their version of FT3K these days!) and maybe some step ups can be added before the curves. Nice parallel switchbacky climb heading back up to stay off the road too. The lazy coasters can probably figure out a way to shuttle it too. (Where there's a will, there's a way....) Hell, People shuttle Duthie/GR I guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you, fluxcapacitor, for your leadership here. Looking forward to helping build that and riding it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I mentioned that there are 3 work parties scheduled but only posted the link to the first one...thought I would make it easier to sign up for the other two as well.

Evergreen MTB Calendar (April 13th)

Evergreen MTB Calendar **UPDATE - This one has been Cancelled (4/20).

Evergreen MTB Calendar (April 27th)

Evergreen MTB Calendar **NEW (May 4th)

@Fireswamp - you bet, glad to help and be a part of making trails better for all of us!
    Last edited by fluxcapacitor; 04-07-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Updated schedule

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just realized that the second work party (4/20) is scheduled for Easter Sunday. We are working to move it out to May 4th instead so we can get a decent turn out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in for the 27th. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick update. I just posted another work party for tomorrow on the EMBA calendar. I will be showing up at 9 and working until at least 2, but feel free to show up when you can!

Evergreen MTB Calendar (April 19th)

Hopefully some of you have had the chance to get out and take a look at what we are doing. Its looking really great thanks to great crew last weekend.

mtbr member
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20140427_003.jpgSt. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20140427_004.jpgSt. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20140427_005.jpg

great time today. really cool to be able to open a new section like that. thanks for the direction and vision, guys. looking forward to the next time i can make it out.
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yesterday was awesome! I learned a lot and will be helping again soon. Thanks to the organizers and everyone who came out, the new section is going to be sweet!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The thanks belongs to all of those that came out to help, you guys absolutely rocked it! This re-route is turning out really sweet and cant wait to open it up all the way.

We have one more work party on the schedule right now (may 4th) but this week we will be filling out that calendar with a bunch more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
    The thanks belongs to all of those that came out to help, you guys absolutely rocked it! This re-route is turning out really sweet and cant wait to open it up all the way.
    Definitely kudos to the help but with out good leadership, I am just a mindless drone. You and Tom rocked it in the direction department making it so easy for us to do the work. To all of you, what a gas meeting you all; the true meaning of community. To be a part of something that will last.

Plus, I even had time for a ride after. Can't be there next time but I will try to get back up soon. Sunday's are always the best for me.

Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here we go guys - one more work party has now been posted. We are getting really close to opening this trail up completely. Once we do we can quickly move on to the next phase (which we have walked out and looks like it has potential to be the best trail in the park for bikes )

Evergreen MTB Calendar (May 18th)

Cant wait to see everyone out there again, I have enjoyed working with each of you that has made it out!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I realize this is happening the same day as the Tiger work/BBQ/shuttle day (tough to compete with that!) but come rain or shine we want to get this portion of the trail finished up and could use all the help we can get.

mtbr member
    i finally got a ride in the park and checked out the work from the last work party. the trail is looking great. it's going to be a fun addition to the park. sorry i can't make it this time. i was sorry to see the log cut out though, but i guess that was going to happen.

any chance for another work party on may31 or june1? would be great if there was one on that saturday...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    More work parties will be scheduled soon. As we wrap up phase I and roll into phase II, we are trying to coordinate walk-throughs and buy-offs with the park ranger. Once those are completed we will book out quite a few work parties. Right now I can't lead (or attend) them on Saturday but after June 7th I will try to get a few on the books.

As I have mentioned to quite a few who have attended, short notice work parties are an option, and if I come up with some spare time I will post it up on this thread and all are welcome to join.

mtbr member
    I look forward to working with you guys again. Looking forward to phase 2. I am exactly the opposite; I can't hardly ever get out on a Saturday. Funny how those things go. Going to be out there riding this Thursday morning before work with my mentor and hopefully a couple of other friends. Look forward to trying the bit that I worked on. Slim

mtbr member
    thanks, flux. i'll look forward to getting out there with you guys and a shovel again soon. can't wait to see what phase ii is all aboot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I live very close to ST. Edwards and I would be interested in joining in and helping out trail building. It's closer than Duthie and Paradise Valley for me.

I havent really biked too much of St. Edwards yet so I dont really know what trails are very good for riding. Maybe I didn't explore to much I only rode it twice. I tried to stick to the perimeter trails because I didnt want to plow over a hiker being on the wrong trail.

What trails at St.Edwards are the better ones to ride? This park has a lot of potential but most of the trails seem more cut out for hiking and not riding.

*Edit* I see, its the pipeline trail. I joined the work party on Evergreen Web site. I am looking for a place to ride often thats super close, so I would be more than happy to join in the work party.

mtbr member
    you can exhaust all the bike-allowed trails in st eds pretty quickly, but adding big finn's trails makes for a ride of decent length. full trail map of both here:
    http://your.kingcounty.gov/ftp/gis/w...l_brochure.pdf
    (though it doesn't clearly show all the trails or detail what are/aren't bike allowed, but i'll get you started)

the full plan for big finn's improvements and revisions are here:
    Sept. 12: King County Parks approves new trails plan for Big Finn Hill Park

it's pretty cool what's going to happen in these parks in the coming months.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    For ongoing specific information regarding the Big Finn Hill side this page has the details, plus maps with future plans. Big Finn Hill Backcountry Trail in King County, Washington

We're really hoping to segue from the St Eds stuff into work in Big Finn Hill, but things are moving a lot slower on that side so we're being as optimistic as possible to keep the momentum going. If you're interested in being on the email list for the Big Finn side, either send me a PM or look at the "Organizing Cmte Contacts" doc at the link above and you'll see the mtn biker contacts.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bigcoug1 - welcome to the area. You will find that between St Eds, Bastyr, and BFH there is more than enough to keep you entertained for 1-2 hour rides. I look forward to meeting you at the work party and one of these fine warm days we will have to get out and give you a tour.

mtbr member
    Went out and rode it today. The trails are in great shape right now. I must say though that I am sad that they cut out the tree; it was a good feature I thought.

I ride the area about once every two weeks and I have yet to have a bad ride. I drive all the way out from the south end by Seatac Airport that is how much I like it. I really look forward to getting back out to help you but I just can't pass up a shuttle ride up Tiger this weekend. Now that is a grind up. Slim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast