Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    New flow trail was in pretty bad shape last week when I rode it. What are the rules for working on these trails, does it have to be approved prior? I was thinking I might go fill the pot holes but don't want to get a wrist slap if I get caught by the man =/

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    As long as your just filling and not shaping. But I don't know how much good it'll do with it so dry right now.

If you can give the names of the lead trail builders if anyone asks what your're doing you should be fine.

I'll let Fluxcapacitor have the final say.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I certainly don't have an issue with minor trail repair provided it truly is repair and not adding or removing features or changing the line. Aside from the dry conditions and a few potholes, most of the trail works really well, but there are still a few things left to tweak before I would consider it done (we will have work parties to perform that work).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated in maintaining trails but there are a few things to consider, as kasperilio mentioned. Its really really dry right now which is why nothing is being worked over. With the dirt as dry as it is we wont be able to get good compaction and most likely just be wasting efforts. Definitely stay tuned for another work party to wrap this trail up (after the next big rain).

I just noticed that you asked about the rules for working on "these trails." I would caution you that in Finn Hill its just not worth it to do anything right now. On the flow trail its probably OK provided the dirt is wet enough to pack in. Other places within St Eds is probably OK as well with prior notice (the ranger is ok with it, he just likes a heads up before the work is done).

Thanks AlpineNate for asking, hope to get you out on a work party soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    so, how dry is it right now? thinking of riding tomorrow AM but not if it will damage the trails, what u guys think?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Probably a little late, but I wouldnt worry too much about keeping off for now. Maybe plan on spending some time with us fixing it up once we get some rains ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, let's all pray (or dance, depending on your religious preference) for rain. Meanwhile, next Wednesday at 6pm there will be a brushing work party; sign up here:
    https://www.evergreenmtb.org/calenda...s-brush-attack
    and meet at QFC. Weed wacker (hand, not power) and loppers are best. I will have some extras.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestAir View Post
    so, how dry is it right now? thinking of riding tomorrow AM but not if it will damage the trails, what u guys think?
    How was the trails? I rode week before last and overall the trails where in great condition. Flow trail has a few trouble spots but that's understandable considering its a newer trail and the most aggressive trail in the network.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    actually i went to grand ridge instead. GR was in pretty good shape and I had a great ride. However I also went to duthie for a bit and the trails were really dry and some pot-holes from hard breaking. wont be going back to duthie until we get some rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Fluxcapacitor et al., What's in store for the upcoming trail work season? I saw there's an Eagle Scout project on the Finn Hill side in progress.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Summer dryness (and busy schedules) really thwarted efforts but fall time is looming which means wetter soil which will aid us in getting things wrapped up (on the pipeline trail anyway).

TFitz has met the new park ranger and is continuing to build that relationship...we may have some really exciting news to share in the coming months, but between now and then I hope to have a work party or two with the goal of wrapping up the pipeline trail. I will post them here when they get scheduled.

mtbr member
    Groovy, I'd like to volunteer in either park.

mtbr member
    Rode what I am sure must be the new Flow Trail last night, just north of Holmes Point Drive. Holy Smokes, what a kick in the pants, that was a blast. Can't wait to ride it in the daytime when I can carry a bit more speed.

Anyway, great work and thanks!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Slightly OT, but this petition to "Save St. Edwards State Park" crossed my email today. What's up with that? Is the state trying to sell off parts of it or zone part of it for business of some kind?

https://www.change.org/p/washington-...rds-state-park

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is there an updated map floating around that identifies St Eds trails by name, including above said new flow trail? The one at the beginning of this thread and the one on the Evergreen trail guide are just general overviews of the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Slightly OT, but this petition to "Save St. Edwards State Park" crossed my email today. What's up with that? Is the state trying to sell off parts of it or zone part of it for business of some kind?

https://www.change.org/p/washington-...rds-state-park

Yes, I'm not up to date on all the current happenings but I remember reading the state doesn't have the funding to maintain the property and its being turned into a hotel.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What to do with the seminary building seems to be an ongoing debate...one that will not likely be wrapped up anytime soon. In 2007 the building was placed on the national historic site list, which means it cant easily be torn down and cant easily be fixed up. Personally I would rather see the building go and 80% of the fields replanted with fir trees (along with meandering bike trails)!

Has anyone been out on this trail since the heavy rains? My back has been out and havent had a chance to see how its holding up. Any reports would be great to hear, specifically concerning the valley floor condition and if there are washouts at all.

What's it to you, buddy?
    Rode on Saturday and it was in great shape. Like the rain never happened. So nice work designing it, flux. All the trails were in pretty good shaped. I was surprised. I hit it just as the frost was melting and the greasy fun was beginning.

As for the link drspalding posted: I heard somewhere that the state spends upwards of $100k/year to keep the building from falling into further disrepair, and after the tech company's interest in it fell thru, the state wasn't going to continue to support the building for much longer. Please, others chime in if there's more info out there on it.

Alpinenate might be referring to mcmenamin's abandoned plans to move in (see what's in Bothell now). I would hope another hotel or private entity is interested, cause I can't see how the state is going to be able to do anything much more with it on their own.

So I'd vote with flux, more trees and trails or have some private entity move in and bring cash along with it. It's a shame that the pool in there isn't functional. Would be great to see a facility like that rehabbed.

Flux, what's next in the park? Let's build some more fun.

Ride on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    the same real estate outfit that tried to develop it with Bastyr now has a proposal to turn it into a hotel: St. Edward Seminary could have future as park-style lodge | The Seattle Times

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Harlowfansworth - TFitz has been in contact with the new ranger (who sees this project as a win for the park), and has been discussing possibilities. Maybe he will chime in but as far as I understand, there was a plan (CAMP) many years ago that included a few new trails that were never built...read into that as you will.

There are a couple things that have been on my mind, but mostly where this trail dumps out (and as mentioned earlier in this thread)..."just what do people do when they get to the bottom?" and "great trail, too bad it's so short." I have just the answer for that (and it includes adding to this trail to make it at least 8-10 times as long).

And of course I have another idea that is a long shot, but I will save that until we run it past the ranger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    First, re the building. I believe the private hotel proposal may fall of its own weight because the same factors that make it a white elephant for State Parks mean there will not be a real business case for private use (unless they figure out a way to pick the taxpayers' pockets, e.g. like pro sport teams). But meanwhile, friendships will be strained, City of Kenmore will wallow in mud, etc (one State Parks employee who shall remain nameless has already lost his job over this).
    New ranger is all for the new trails called out in the CAMP, and the big news is City of Kenmore has reversed its negative stance so they will be feasible after all. I'm now working on retracing the pinflagging I already did for one trail, will need help setting the route for the longer one. By the way, the new ranger says it's ok with her for use to use leaf blowers on the trails we maintain. (NB, this still does not apply to Big Finn Hill trails).

mtbr member
    Keep the land and flatten the building if public funds are unavailable to save/repurpose it. Perhaps a DJ park could be built in it's place ;-)

Remember that the real value of St. Edwards is it's land including walking/riding trails, trees, open space for concerts/festivals and lakefront access. Giving any of that away to save the seminary building, albeit beautiful in it's own right would be grossly irresponsible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Amen, Gas_Pig!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    On a different note...

The fall line trail that we replaced was originally called the pipeline trail for no reason other than the buried water main that sits under the valley floor. Since that seems so pedestrian, and we now have two trails (the up trail can keep the pipeline trail moniker) we need a name.

Long ago I suggested "Panta Rhei" (rhymes with santa sleigh) as a name. Rheology is the study of the flow of matter and is a term "inspired by the aphorism of Simplicius (often attributed to Heraclitus), panta rhei, "everything flows' ".

Yep, I am a complete nerd but all great trail names have some sort of back story, why not one with meaning?

mtbr member
    I like the name, so you have my vote.

By the way, that trail is Fantastic!
    Last edited by Smilely; 12-10-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Forgot I had previously said the same thing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Panta Rhei sounds good, Flux! BTW both trails were in good shape when the Old Guys hit them last Saturday; haven't been out this week but I think the work you spearheaded is holding up well.

What's it to you, buddy?
    panta rhei. good one. i like.

living near the top of the hill, whenever i get thirsty for some a beer, here's what i do:

grab the bike bouncy bike that's super overkill for st eds, throw a growler in a backpack, head into the trails at the holmes point light, and down panta rhei (maybe push it up and do a lap or two more), then north thru the valley trail and up to the bastyr entrance, across the road and down the arrow head trail to finish at rocky's to fill the growler. then a slow pedal back up to home.

if people don't know, rocky's has 6 taps and fills growlers. billy is the beer buyer guy at rocky's. super nice guy and really knowledgeable. loves talking beer and will try to find stuff he doesn't already have if you talk something up. i lived in the neighborhood for a year before i found this out. they keep a pretty amazing selection of bombers and 6pks too. dangerous having awesome tap beer so close to home.

cheers.
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well, those are all much more positive responses than i expected. thanks.

my beer run is backwards from you harlow...ride up, hit the trails then hit rocky's on the way down the hill. no doubt a great local place to find some good beer on tap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Stupid question, but where's Rocky's?

I'd like to find a close beer shop to me. I've had it with Safeway's selection of everything IPA.

I need a nearby source for stouts and porters.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

What's it to you, buddy?
    you'd never know how awesome it is from the road:
    Rocky?s Corner - Grocery - Kenmore, WA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

last thursday he had some stout on tap. can't remember what it was. i was too excited that he had space dust to notice anything else.

flux, envy. i'd much rather continue coasting downhill than try to pedal a bottlerocket that's too small, with a heavy backpack, back up into the neighborhoods. nothing climbs like coil springs. cause they don't. climb, that is.
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 Panta rhei
    +1 Rockys

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    [QUOTE=harlowfarnsworth;12357311]you'd never know how awesome it is from the road:
    [url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/rockys

Oh cool. Thank you very much.

I had no idea that little store had a great beer selection. I'll have to find a way to incorporate that place into my rides.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123