Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    A little late on the update, but the first work party last week went well. We cleared a ton of trail and making good progress. Doesnt look like we are going to get a work party in this week because we are trying to get materials together to build the first bridge before we continue building down below.

Stay tuned, we will be ramping back up after 4th of July weekend!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another work party has been posted for tomorrow night (7/16).

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Things are coming along really well. 90% of the trail has been cleared of organics and the top few corners have been rough shaped. Unfortunately the dry weather has us working with moon dust. We do have a rain barrel set up on site that we intend to fill with another rain barrel loaded in a truck. Although its not ideal, its what we have to work with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    "Another work party has been posted for tomorrow night (7/16)."

Good to know, I'm going to try to be there. Parenthood allowing

EMBA Member
    Working swing shift sure makes it tough to get out there to help during the week. I am looking forward to getting back out there to check it out soon. Now, if you ever have a work party on a Sunday......

Feeling guilty in South Seattle,
    Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Its been a while since we've had a work party, but that doesn't mean we are not working. Not a sure thing yet and I will post it here, but I would like to have another work party next week. In the meantime, enjoy a few pictures of the recent updates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-20140730_174947.jpg  

St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-20140802_094647.jpg  

St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-20140802_095005_hdr.jpg  

St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-20140802_094939.jpg  

What's it to you, buddy?
    i've checked out this phase 2 flowtronish trail looks awesome. so glad to see stuff like this getting made.

looks like they're sort of a hip jump heading into one turn. love that. moar that.

looking forward to upcoming work parties if i can make them. thanks, flux!
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sweet!

EMBA Member
    Good Stuff! Thanks so much Man. Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here we go. I just posted another work party for this coming Wednesday, August 13th.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

sorry SlimL, weekends are tough during the summer but rest assured that we will have a few weekend work parties to get this trail buffed out.

I look forward to seeing everyone that can make it!

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
    sorry SlimL, weekends are tough during the summer but rest assured that we will have a few weekend work parties to get this trail buffed out.

I look forward to seeing everyone that can make it!
    That's OK my friends just as long as you don't hold it against me when I come out to ride. I will make it up to you all by doing some work on Towers of Power. Then it will be clear to ride if you ever make it down this way.
    Slim

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey, it was nice working on the trail on Wednesday. Looking forward to more work parties Cheers!~

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thought I would post a quick update.

There have been a few complaints surrounding phase II but these were addressed at the Friends of St Eds meeting last night with Ranger Mo present. Not only is Mo 100% behind us (as he has been all along) the Friends of group is elated with the concept and progress. The complainers are known entities and have zero impact on our goal (however, please be respectful to ALL users...dont know why i felt compelled to write that since everyone here is anyway).

The hot and sunny weather has finally given way to the occasional rain and for those of you who have been on the trail you know what a blessing this is. It has settled very nicely and is riding pretty well now. There are still a lot of places that are well protected from the rains and have yet to pack out, but we will address those areas.

There is still a lot of work to do on Phase II and I will be posting a work party soon. Stay tuned and hope to see quite a few of you out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TREE DOWN. I figure this is the best place to post this. FYI. Riding St. Ed's last night and stopped by about a 7-10" thick tree over a trail. I do not have a saw for this and it's in the park.

It's about 1/2 down the trail that is a nice downhill heading towards the ravine before the trail splits and you can go up to either side of the ravine. Tree really blends into the trail in twilight. The ravine is the one close to the road right after crossing the street at the top of the hill with the red light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Got it pin-pointed and reported to Ranger Mo. Also told him about it last evening and he said he'd get to it asap.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thank you to bavgumbo and TFitz for getting that taken care of!

Possible short notice work party this weekend (Sat 10/18 or Sun 10/19). Dont have the details yet but if you are interested stay tuned here as well as EMBA calendar. Once I get it worked out I will post it up. Basically we want to take advantage of this wetter weather and get a few more of the turns dialed in.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Who is up to fling some dirt this coming Sunday (11/16) after the Hawks game, say 1:00 pm?

The rains have finally hit and things have settled in very nicely. We still have a ton of work to do to finish this up, but we can certainly put a good size dent in it this weekend. A couple of us are planning to do some work no matter what, but it would be awesome to see a good turn out.

I will share the link to the the Evergreen calendar here once I have the work party details posted.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok everyone, here is the link to the Evergreen calendar posting. Please sign up so I can get a good idea of how many people we will have and make a plan for what we can accomplish!

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/calenda...eds-work-party

What's it to you, buddy?
    dang it. can't make another one. saturday is my hall pass day this weekend. i'll try to stop by with my littleman and see the good work you guys are doing.

EMBA Member
    Aw Man, I can't make it either. This is the Model Train Show at the Puyallup and I take my nephews every year. Great place to buy Christmas presents for them which is trickier now that they are getting older. Sorry Man. Next time. Slim
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

What's it to you, buddy?
    I was wrong about other commitments, so I'm in.

Riding Saturday, throwing dirt Sunday, good weekend.

What's it to you, buddy?
    work on the 2tonsofun corner

oh, better take a pic before digging gets to far
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20141116_001.jpg

axe
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20141116_004.jpg

bow saw
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20141116_007.jpg

tree toppled and placed for berm backing
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20141116_008.jpg

berm coming along
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-wp_20141116_010.jpg

incredible improvement. fun day digging.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes! Thank you guys! Will try to make the next one

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    WARNING! I inadvertently left a pile of retrieved pin flags just above the log crib. They're off to the right as you approach the crib and I think they're out of the way but take care.

Edit/update: heading over now to get them picked up. Back to your regularly scheduled programing.
    Last edited by TFitz; 11-17-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    May 2012
    you boys sure know how to make hard work seem easy. tons of fun just became that much more fun! good job and thanks for you help.

on another note, we opened up the entrance to the trail as well as armored a couple of the (rain event) stream crossings. this trail is really shaping up to be a sweet! thanks again to all of those who helped out, i look forward to riding it soon!
    Last edited by fluxcapacitor; 11-17-2014 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    We're in the middle of selling our house so I couldnt make it this weekend unfortunately. Headed out there this morning though, it looks and rides really, really nice. Especially when frozen

Thanks everyone!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Who's ready to get back to work on this trail? We recently had a load of 1-2 man rocks delivered that we intend to armor the crossings with and it needs some final polish work. It weathered really well over the winter and has easily become my favorite trail in the St Eds/Finn Hill network thanks to all of you for your efforts and hard work.

A few of us have mentioned doing a session/work party...where we ride the heck out of it and tweak it as needed. Anyone interested in doing this sometime this month? If we get enough interest, I will post it to the Evergreen Calendar.

What's it to you, buddy?
    yeah, man. lets go.

and lets build 10 more trails like this one. it's flowing pretty good right now. it's gotta be my favorite trail in both finn and steds right now.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Although I agree with building 10 more like it, that's a bit ambitious. Lets get this one in the bag and prove to the ranger that we have good ideas and ability to follow through with implementing them. If all goes well (and so far he has been raving about this project) we can certainly ask for more projects...I can think of a few I would like to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I went for a ride at St Ed's yesterday for the first time in a couple years. On my first run on the new trail I ran into the builders working on the trail. After stopping to say thanks, I ended up helping them build for a couple hours.

What a great group of guys! The builders deserve a big thanks for the 100+ hours they've spent building the trail. If you've never helped dig you should give it a try.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It was great to meet you and we always appreciate when riders stop to help build! Things are moving along nicely and I think next week we are going to have a session party...once i have some details, i will post them up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rmk166 View Post
    I went for a ride at St Ed's yesterday for the first time in a couple years. On my first run on the new trail I ran into the builders working on the trail. After stopping to say thanks, I ended up helping them build for a couple hours.

What a great group of guys! The builders deserve a big thanks for the 100+ hours they've spent building the trail. If you've never helped dig you should give it a try.

I ran into Marc the day before on the trail. Very nice and had a good conversation with him about the park and hopeful future plans for it. I am also looking forward to getting out and helping them out. That was my first time on that trail and I have to say that you guy's all did a great job. I will try my very best to make a few work parties. I dont know much about trail building but I know how a shovel works and how to clear brush. Thanks for the effort and hard work you all put in.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In lieu of a work party next week...lets ride it!

For those who havent ridden it come check it out. For those who havent ridden it lately, its in great shape, join us! For those who ride it all the time, come join the fun. The plan is to just ride the heck out of it and get feedback on how we need to tune it up to be the best trail possible.

Next Wednesday (3/25) from around 5:30 until its dark. Hope to see lots of you out there!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Resurrecting an old thread concerning a new(ish) trail.

By now plenty people should have had the chance to ride this thing. Flame it, praise it, lets hear some feedback what ever it might be. There is plenty more work to do on this trail, but before we dive back into it, lets hear what you have to say about making it the best trail it can be.

Only reviews I ever hear are people giggling like little girls when they ride it, or old people whining about it (only because they've chosen not to ride a bike and they can see how much fun the rest of us are having).

mtbr member
    My only complaint would be it needs to go all the way down to the lake!!!
    Great work!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's a fun trail. It actually reminds me of smaller version of Ryans line. Overall the trail is nice. The only thing I wish was different about it would be that there would be a berm coming down the first section of it from the top to around that corner. I had a buddy (non MTB rider) ride it with me and he felt a little sketchy about it. I have no problems with it but maybe a little more berm would make it flow a little smoother and not make the noobs feel exposed.

Anyone who complains about it has too much time on their hands. It's a pretty fun trail and yes, I wish it was longer too

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I can't imagine anyone really thinking the old rutted out straightaway was preferable to what you guys built. Well done and thanks!

Are there any plans to attack the muddy mess at the bottom of the ravine? I'm not even sure what can be done about it in terms of drainage.
    Last edited by gmtnl; 06-09-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: afterthought

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been fretting about this for years, to no constructive conclusion. I think rerouting some segments would help. Fixing substandard drainage control on both sides of Juanita Drive would help. Raising and armoring some short segments would help. But I don't see a grand, final resolution. Since there's no clay down there, and since a couple muddy/rooty turns are among my favorite wet season challenges, I'd say we should move cautiously. And, don't let King County Parks' so-called "backcountry" trail crew anywhere near; luckily this area is all state park or Bastyr, whose managers are more savvy stewards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ok, I'll bite. I've only ridden the trail a couple times. Next time I ride it I'll try to remember what I'm thinking. I do remember thinking a couple things... It's hard to ride the trail like I envision. I'd like to carry speed thru the apex of the turns. The turns higher up the hill I cannot do this. The turn lower on the trail which I believe is after the drop to flat you end up with too much speed.

Another thing is it feels like a cool trail to no where. What do people do when they get to the bottom? Ride up the other new trail, down the creek bed trail then up the switch-back trail, or further up the creek-bed trail all the way to the bridge near the St Park entrance?

As far as the creek-bed trail I'm in favor a finding a solution. I ride this area quite a bit in the winter. It's a buzz kill to be riding somewhat damp trails then end up faced with riding up a creek.

Also, my kids love running down the Ryan's Line like trail.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks guys, all good input. As for the very top "berm" thats a no go unfortunately because we want slower speeds there since it really is for bikes and peds going both directions (trust me, I wanted it bigger as well, but it just cant happen there).

All the way to the lake...trust me, already thought of that and dont rule it out just yet. I've poked around in the woods enough and have a line picked out...just need to finish up what we started so far.

As for fixing the sometimes wet, sometimes flooded condition of the valley floor, I have a solution in mind. Once we finish up with the current work, I plan to compile a lot of these comments to take to the ranger and petition for more work starting with a re-route of the valley floor trail (which can be done such that it is always dry and not flooded or muddy).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The St Edward State Park "Classification and Management Plan" (CAMP) adopted by the commission in 07 provides for a bike-ped link from the ravine down to the lake, so we can have a loop with the Seminary Trail. During the public process we scoped out the ground from the shoreline up to the water tower; lots of room for a great trail. It gets very tricky between the water tower and Holmes Pt Drive, and going along a lot of the toe of the very steep slope to the Bastyr campus from the water tower up to the bottom of the pipeline trail. But the big obstruction is City of Kenmore, not State Parks. For 2 years I tried to get to get the city to tell me what they wanted (besides permit fees) but got nowhere. If the legislative session ever ends I'm supposed to have a sit-down with councilmember Herbig about the park, so maybe we can get this off bottom-dead-center.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It sounds like there's some exciting stuff in the pipeline (ha)! Especially this lake trail. Thanks all for your hard work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've been to St. Ed's a couple times but am not good at remembering the trails. Who can tell me where this pipeline trail starts? I usually park at QFC and swing into the woods to the right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It starts right about there. If you're going in across the street from the gas station and turning right into the woods, I think its your first left.

mtbr member
    I moved to the Finn Hill area last year so I've been riding St Eds/BFH more often. Gotta say that it's far better that what I remember. That Ryans-like trail is pretty fun.

I'd be interested in helping out with trail building/maintenance. Is there another thread/site where those are announced?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any time there is a work party (formal) I post them on the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance calendar, then post a copy of the link on this thread. Now that you have responded to it (make sure you stay subscribed to it) you will get notifications when people post here (like work parties).

There are also work parties happening in the Finn Hill side of the park. Those will also be listed on the Evergreen calendar and linked on the "finn hill work party" thread in MTBR. If you are interested in being notified directly, PM me and i can add you to a "bike friends of big finn hill group" (email distribution). I send emails to keep those interested in the park up to date with what is happening with the finn hill trail plan and its progress.

Welcome to the area!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on this thread and the Evergreen events calendar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay so please don't take this the wrong way. I am just asking a question for my own curiosity. Why was the Trail filled in with logs all the way to the bottom. The one next to the pipeline trail. I get that you don't want people to ride it because it intersects with the trail at the bottom but at the top it's a perfectly good shortcut to walk up

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not taken the wrong way at all, and appreciate the candidness.

The intent was to keep that portion of trail (original valley floor fall line trail) open for access during work parties such as moving wheel barrows, materials, etc. Although it makes it a little tougher to get equipment down below for work and was done a little sooner than expected, it was part of the plan. Eventually, we will put more work into closing it down properly.

Part of how we were able to sell this trail to the park ranger is that we wanted to mitigate the erosion caused by having a fall line trail. Also, we just dont want foot traffic near that flow line.

In a perfect world we wouldnt need a walk up trail or a short cut, we would have ample trails like this to keep us entertained for hours on end. We dont have a park like that unfortunately, but we do have at least one new section that is unlike anything else in the park.

Thanks again for the feedback and your comments.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
    Not taken the wrong way at all, and appreciate the candidness.

The intent was to keep that portion of trail (original valley floor fall line trail) open for access during work parties such as moving wheel barrows, materials, etc. Although it makes it a little tougher to get equipment down below for work and was done a little sooner than expected, it was part of the plan. Eventually, we will put more work into closing it down properly.

Part of how we were able to sell this trail to the park ranger is that we wanted to mitigate the erosion caused by having a fall line trail. Also, we just dont want foot traffic near that flow line.

In a perfect world we wouldnt need a walk up trail or a short cut, we would have ample trails like this to keep us entertained for hours on end. We dont have a park like that unfortunately, but we do have at least one new section that is unlike anything else in the park.

Thanks again for the feedback and your comments.
    Gotcha dude, thanks for answering. You guy's do great work. Thank you for what you do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast