Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was out there yesterday from around 1-5 re-working the first switchback. Its really taking shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-pipeline-switchback.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What a great crew we had out today! I would consider Phase I a huge success and aside from final shaping once its worn in a bit its DONE! Thanks to everyone that has helped along the way and I look forward to working with you again soon on Phase II.

Looking down into the middle switchback
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-looking-down-middle-switchback.jpg

The middle switchback
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-middle-swithcback.jpg

The bottom switchback
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-bottom-switchback.jpg

Our infamous trail gnome...we spotted one!
    St. Edward State Park - Pipeline Trail Work Parties-helper.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ran the new trail tonite. Great job routing & building. Will be super fun to ride. Thanks to everyone that put time & effort into it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Flux, you are going to need to put more lumber and impassable objects in those switch back corners as the will unfortunately get cut. The poor fern at the apex of the middle switchback won't make it through the summer.....

Looks fun though! (Thumbs up!)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Borneo - we do have a lot more work to do to finish cleaning up and replanting. As for switchback cutting we installed a colony of mountain beavers (as pictured above) at each turn that create a labyrinth of swiss cheese like structure. People who tempt their fate cutting corners will either break an ankle or come face to face with an angry beaver. In all seriousness, you're right and we know, we have more work cleanup and finish work but at least the entire top to bottom re-route is functional.

I am going to contact the ranger and hopefully have the green-light to flag phase II by next week.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Wow, way to knock it out! Great job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rode it this morning and it was SWEET! You can get moving pretty fast. Great job, I look forward to helping with phase 2.

mtbr member
    Hit this Monday...it's awesome, in both directions. Thanks!!!
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Going to be riding it tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it. And starting work on Phase II. Be sure to have some Sunday parties. Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I wanted to share a quick update for everyone that's put time in on this trail. The park ranger and I have been in contact and he is really pleased with how it's all coming along.

"Great job on you and the crew, it is an amazing trail!...thank you so much"

We are currently planning a time to get the final buy-off on phase I which sounds like a slam dunk...then its on to phase II (most likely kicking off in a few weeks).

Borneo, Eerie, CharlieDog, Big B - So glad to hear positive reviews and thanks for the feedback!

Slim - would love to hear how it rides when you get done (and you bet we will be having more Sunday work parties...lots of them).

mtbr member
    It is a great trail. It is still a little soft so if you are prone to jumping off everything you can find, remember that; aim to the upside of the hill. I am not a jumper but my mentor is so he knows. I really like slow technical stuff so going down hill on those switchbacks are perfect in my opinion; nice and tight and if you get a little sketchy, you can just put a foot down. Going up; what a gas, a nice little work out for an old guy like me and rides really nice.

The mountain beaver have been active so the trail is going to need a little ongoing work till they move out of there. Their holes are easy to miss and ride through. Yeah, it is one of my favorite rides. I might even go back out again next Thursday. Tuesday is Duthie. Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Update: Huge thanks to everyone who made phase I a huge success and put their time in. Other than some unfavorable sandy conditions in the switchbacks (which we will be addressing soon) everything looks great.

TFitz, Kasperilio, and myself took an early Saturday morning walk with Ranger Mo and he had nothing but rave reviews of the work that was done with Phase I. We then moved into the valley and took a more detailed look at the scope of Phase II. There was but one thing he didn't readily approve (but did say maybe it could be incorporated in the future). At the end of the walk he said we are now approved to clear the corridor and pin flag the route!

After spending countless hours in that gully (over the last few months) then running my ideas past Borneo, kasperilio, TFitz, and Shannon for a sanity check...I finally got out this morning and started hacking away at a corridor. A little more than half of the corridor has now been cleared. With sight lines opened up it beginning to become a reality...looking pretty sweet!

Sorry, got side tracked...Once the corridor is completed we will pin it, then get Mo out for a final check (hopefully in the next two weeks). I am very confident that he will approve the final flagging. Once he does, we will get a string of work parties on the books and start moving dirt!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    fluxcapacitor, considering Ranger Mo specifically rejected the phase II concept when I ran it by him after the first Pipeline washout, you've wrought a miracle by getting his support for this project. Looking forward to this, and the final fixes on phase I switchbacks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I appreciate the kind words but I cant take credit for getting this pushed through on my own. You and I were able to craft a sustainable solution to the washout. Marry that with a tremendous level of trust you've earned with Mo and through the dedication of everyone that came out to make phase I happen so beautifully...we ALL had a hand in the earning of his support.

You know I am looking forward to it, its like Christmas all year!

mtbr member
    Do I need to say keep us posted? Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Phase 2 is now flagged and waiting for approval, we should be slinging dirt in a couple weeks at the latest!

mtbr member
    Nice. If you're heading out during the week and need some help, let me know.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    That is great news. Slim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok guys - here is the first of many to come for Phase II.

Evergreen MTB Calendar (June 25th)

We are keeping the first few work parties small and we will do a couple during the week. Once we get going we will fill up the schedule with some dates on the weekend.

mtbr member
    ah dang, i'm on baby duty that night, so i'll have to look forward to the next one. it's a couple more years until my littleman can be out there with a shovel helping us, and until he can use these trails as well.
    great timing on a weekdays though! hope more work parties end up around this time of day on weekdays.
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    Signed up. Was out there today, and the new trail is riding nice. Bit sandy at the bottom, but it keeps you on your toes. Great improvement though, and fun to ride.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We are officially cleared for take off! See below (email from the ranger)

"...I actually walked the area today and really like it. I also understand there will be small changes because of the reasons you explained. I am ok with that. I say move forward and we can go from there.

thank you for all your hard work, I know a lot of people will appreciate it, even if they don't know who specifically did the hard stuff."

Phase II is legit and in less than a week, we break ground!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Like I said before, flux, you've wrought a miracle. St Ed's/Big Finn Hill will be a bit of a backwater compared with Duthie et al as the sport evolves, but it's just an absolutely essential incubator for beginner riders, and the relationships we have built with the land managers are so important for keeping and building on that. The fact that the ranger is willing to skip some of the review steps you laid out to get where we are now speaks volumes!

mtbr member
    amen, tfitz. great work, flux.
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Dont forget to thank your local park ranger next time you see him...Thank you MO!

Back to trail talk - There will be two (seasonal) water crossings on this trail which means we will need at least 1 small bridge (possibly a second). We are in the works to source materials but if anyone has a source for split cedar decking PM me. One of the bridges will be around 6 feet in length and we would like it to be 4 feet wide...the other (if we do it) will be around 10 feet in length and also 4 feet wide. As a side note I have a concept of the second bridge that I would love to see and it is circulating in a select group. Once its vetted I will post pictures of the concept.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast