mtbr member

Spring Lake/Lake Desire RR

Last night a group of us rode the Spring Lake/Lake Desire area. It is located in Fairwood and is a relatively unknown place to most people.

We did our normal 9 mile loop and the trails are in primo shape. Everything is brushed back and the trail clear. The only downside to the ride is KC "selectively logged" McGarvey Park, so the first 1.5 miles was moon dust. Rain will fix that though.

If you're looking for a new place to ride and have never been I highly recommend checking out the area. The trails are mostly smooth/fast singletrack, with lots of great climbs/descents. We climbed about 1200ft during our short ride which is pretty good considering most trails in the area don't have much in the way of climbing.
    Last edited by Mr. Lynch; 10-11-2012 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehehe. Sorry Mr. Lynch. All this post traffic makes me think of other awesome places no one rides like Moss Lake and Cherry Valley. If it ain't Doofie or Tiger....

Looked at the map on the trail wiki. Is that pretty accurate? I need to go down that way in the next week or so and may have to carpool with my bike. (I was thinking about the loop around the watershed fence.) This isn't that though. Right?

mtbr member
    The loop around the watershed is Lake Youngs. That's a boring ride we only use when it is super cold or super wet and we want to get a ride in. Lake Youngs is like most of Thrilla route. Wide rolling double track that is kind of boring. Spring Lake/Lake Desire is full of sweet singletrack that is generally empty.

Spring Lake/lake Desire is actually across the road to the north of Lake Youngs. The map is fairly accurate and if you're interested in riding there I can highlight a fun 9 mile loop we like to ride. Might even be able to give you a tour if I'm free when you head down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Highlight away, Mr. Lynch! I'd be happy to see it too. I'm always down with nearby places I haven't ridden before.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    I will make a map and post it up!

mtbr member

not sure how to get a bigger pic, but anyway here it is.

1. Follow the yellow line thru McGarvey Park and across the beaver pond skinny bridge. Climb for 5-10 minutes and then take the first main left and climb up to the summit and rip down the backside.

2. When you hit an access road, turn around follow the blue line and backtrack back to the summit, ignoring the left turn you pass on the climb. On the descent stay left and ignore the spur you climbed up. At the bottom stay left and go out to the main gravel path.

3. Follow the gravel path downhill until you spot a small clearing on the left with multiple trail options. Take the right option (tight techy singletrack) and ride until you hit the gravel road again.

4. Go left (downhill) on gravel and take the first main right turn. This trail is wide and fast and it loops around the southern tip of the park. You will come out on a road but the trail goes back into the wood 50ft away on the right. Follow that and stay right and climb up to a big intersection. Take a left up the gravel road and climb that to the top. when you reach the peak trail sign (no bikes) take a left. About 100ft up the road flattens out and look for a trail on your left.

5. The trail on the left drops into a steep ravine (purple line) that is full of large rocks you can ride around or drop off. Its a short but fun section.At the bottom stay left and follow the purple line.Its a long slow climb back up, but you are rewarded with a great descent back down to the beaver pond crossing. follow this trail back thru McGarvey park and to your car.

Its around 9 miles and has roughly 1200ft of climbing. The descents vary from fast smooth singletrack to twisty singletrack to steep techy stuff. There isnt a lot of trails right now, but it is a great mix of terrain.

The map shows lots of trails to the north in Mcgarvey park, but in reality it is a large clearing under the powerlines with a gravel road and small walking paths all over. Not much in the way of fun riding...yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This looks like fun riding for sure Mr Lynch. Thanks for sharing!

Mind updating the Evergreen wiki with this info. Or, I can do it if you're okay with that.

Trail:Spring Lake Lake Desire Park - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Use my info as you please!
    I'm hoping the area can be expanded and utilized more in the future. The terrain is very unique compared to most of the other lowland areas and gives us southenders another close by place to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    20 yrs ago my wife and I lived close enough to bike to Spring Lake. We had built and maitained many of the trails out there. It is about half the size it used to be. When WTA came in and widened and relocated some trails, kinda took the fun out of it. Have not been back in 10yrs, maybe its time to return...

mtbr member
    KC wants to expand out there so hopefully we can get some new trails out that way. It has some cool hills and lots of potential to be really good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wonder where does KC wants to expand??? Pleas keep us posted..

mtbr member
    McGarvey park area. They posted about it over a year ago and said they would talk to us once the logging of dead/dying trees took place. That finally happened 2 weeks ago.

Here is the initial thing KC posted:

King County

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cool. I have not spent much time to the north, We would ride toward Petrovisky mostly..