mtbr member

Spokane 24 Hour Race Course Update

I am not racing this year but I tested my new GPS out on the newly marked course. The course has not changed structurally since adding the river trail (little Vietnam) a few years back. There is as always some new singletrack to keep things fun. An inch of rain fell quickly from the sky on Monday but the course was very dry so most of it was quickly soaked into the ground. Some hills have loose gravel from the run off. About halfway up half mile hill picking a line to avoid the loose stuff gets tricky.
    I ride a SS 29er with 34x17 and never felt over geared. The course is fast with 1319 feet of climbing during the 14.2 miles I rode. Note that I did not start at the Start/Finish of the course and it is possible but unlikely they will make changes before Saturday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper
    I am not racing this year but I tested my new GPS out on the newly marked course. The course has not changed structurally since adding the river trail (little Vietnam) a few years back. There is as always some new singletrack to keep things fun. An inch of rain fell quickly from the sky on Monday but the course was very dry so most of it was quickly soaked into the ground. Some hills have loose gravel from the run off. About halfway up half mile hill picking a line to avoid the loose stuff gets tricky.
    I ride a SS 29er with 34x17 and never felt over geared. The course is fast with 1319 feet of climbing during the 14.2 miles I rode. Note that I did not start at the Start/Finish of the course and it is possible but unlikely they will make changes before Saturday.

Thanks Dave. I'm not going to be in it this year either as I'll be out of town. Did he keep the newer single-track section by the old shooting range? It's that ashy section that rutted out really bad. Maybe I'll try and get over there myself and look this evening...

mtbr member
    He did keep it and it is not too rutty. That new trail is a major improvement over the section that it replaces.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    1300 per lap? Gulp. I may need to revise my goal of doing 10 laps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroDoug
    1300 per lap? Gulp. I may need to revise my goal of doing 10 laps.
    1300' per lap sounds too high. It's a fast & flat course. Look at lap times from last year -- the fastest solo rider (Rebecca Rusch) did 240 miles total; at the Worlds in Conyers, she did 200 miles against presumably stiffer competition.

Anyway, I think 10 laps is a totally reasonable goal.

I'll see you out there! (I'll be on an ugly bright green singlespeed, wearing a blue & orange Byrne jersey)

mtbr member
    13oo was what the GPS says but as the profile shows the climbing is usually in short pushes that carry alot of momentum so it is not a course where people complain about the climbing. Personally I think the rocks are the villian.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Good to hear. People I had spoken to had all said the course was about 700ft of climbing. Whatever. We'll see tomorrow during the pre-ride.

Yeah, Vongrief, the weather looks perfect.

I'll be on a Mooto-X with mango-colored hubs/headset with an orange "BradyGames" logo on my chest and back. Try not to kick dirt in my face as you go by.

JRA
    mtbr member

Mo, Doug and all the rest of the riders

Hope you all have a great weekend of racing!

mtbr member
    Wish I was going to be there this year Mo! Kids, house, family, wife in school, etc.... I hope to be there next year. Another Solo SS race sounds like big fun!
    http://kitsapmtb.com/

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was disappointed to not see you on the start list! You doing the Creampuff or any other biggies this year?

mtbr member
    Naw. Tight on $$$$. Wife's in school up to her eyeballs. Maybe next season. I am in the process of replacing my SS 'cross bike that got crushed last summer. So maybe I can go out and get silly this fall. Good luck and have a great time!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Likewise.

Good times there. Grab any wheel up top you can Doug and tuck in behind for the rest after the climb. I think I did 6-7 laps the last time when we had a 5 person mixed team and it wasn't so bad. You'll find out right away when you can put the hammer down and when you can roll and rest.

I think I can even see where Devil's Down is on the map! (Though I assume the course is using the new FTTRC bypass?)

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep! The left side is the sit back, point and shoot to the bottom and come zipping out into the burn line for sure.

Ahhh, good times....

I should be out riding
    I can see where a sensitive gps might come up with 1300 ft of climbing. With lap times pushing an hour, seems reasonable, but higher then I would have guessed. One of the fastest courses I've ridden anywhere, even faster then the bend xc races. Good times though, I liked racing it, even though something about round and round always bugged me.

Borneo, up for it again?

mtbr member
    After Monday's storm a tree has fallen and lies straight down the left line. I would imagine that they would be cutting that away before the race but the right side line is uneffected by the tree.

That's ok I'll walk it...

Where can I find real time results for todays 24hr Race

Curious if there is a website that lists the lap times for those racing today. I know Granny Gear does this for the 24hrs of Moab.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nope. Times won't be posted til a week or two after the race... Their timing technology is great, but they haven't gone live in the past....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Back from Spokane and just checking in.

A couple of notes on the course. The course was log-free, so any fallen trees had been removed. Also, with respect to elevation, my Edge 305 routinely spit out 820 feet of elevation gain per 14.4 mile lap. I've been monitoring elevation very closely on all of my rides for over a year now and I'll just say that there is no way the course had even close to 100ft gain per mile. Other people I talked with had right about 820 feet per lap as well.

As for my race, it was my first time soloing a 24hr race (I never did a relay 24hr either) but it went exceptionally well. My hydration/nutrition plan was spot-on, my bike ran flawlessly the entire way, and I tallied up 14 laps for a total of 201.6 miles and 7th place overall in the Solo Men class (29 racers). I took a brief 2-hour nap from 2am till 4am and woke up feeling great. Lap 11 was my 3rd fastest of the race and, dare I say it, I actually felt fresh right up until the last lap. No tightness, no bonk. It was a little tough going out for a final lap knowing it would bring me in after noon, but I couldn't see the point in just sitting around waiting for noon. I wasn't hurting so I figured I might as well set the bar high for next year.

I saw on last year's results that 14 laps would have placed me 5th out of 16 racers. I spoke with a lot of guys this weekend (on teams) who want to solo it next year. I expect there will be at least 50 solos next year, if not more.

Good times. Great course (perfect for a 29er) and really well organized race.

mtbr member

Nice job!

Hey man -- I think I saw you out there one of the times you lapped me, but by the time I put it together you were long gone.

Anyway, AWESOME ride! You looked totally on when I saw you.

My race went less well; I was just never feeling that good and every lap felt like a chore. I ran a marathon last weekend so my expectations weren't too high but I was hoping for better... oh well, it was a fun course and it's always great to see everyone out riding. My daughter Amelia had fun watching all the bikes and playing in the dirt, too, so the weekend was great overall, just wish I'd ridden a little better. Next year!

BTW, results are here: http://www.milliseconds.com/ResultsQ...?varRaceID=928

See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    A marathon last weekend?

Damn, and I thought me doing back-to-back century rides last weekend was a bad way to spend my "taper weekend"... but no, you certainly beat me in that regard. LOL! (actually, I think I nailed my taper just right and peaked perfectly for this weekend).

Well, either way, 9 laps on a single speed is pretty damn impressive. Good job! Everytimes I saw a singlespeeder slloooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy churning their way up half-mile hill, I had to smile to myself and say, "see self, this could be worse."

Till next year...

BTW: race report on my blog. See link in sig.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Mapping program

DB,

It looks like you are using the Natl. Geo maps, have you found those to be the best for transferring from an Edge to topo's? Which maps do you use? I am involved with the rec district at Schweitzer Mtn and am looking for a good way to produce a trail map for the mtn bike trails we have been building.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Not In Kansas,

I've used the Edge/TOPO! combination and yes, I do find it to produce some very nice maps -- much better than if you were to dry and draw the routes in TOPO! freehand. I find the elevation figures that TOPO! spits out often differ from the Edge 305, but it sounds like you're more concerned with making a good, helpful map. This combo will work great for you.

mtbr member
    Like I said, I am new to this GPS thing. I thought that I had it all figured out until it I began hearing that my elevation gain readings are wrong. I have to play around with it some more to figure out what is the problem. I have never used anything other than the Nat Geo and the Garmin Legend CX. Having a Mac computer I have been waiting for USB specific models to come out which is why I bought the model and software I did. I have some complaints about how the software works and how the GPS works but I am not sure any other brands are different. I have also discovered that everything I was told at Rei and at Mountain Gear was in some way incorrect or unhelpful. Sorry I could not be of more help to you.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper
    Like I said, I am new to this GPS thing. I thought that I had it all figured out until it I began hearing that my elevation gain readings are wrong. I have to play around with it some more to figure out what is the problem. I have never used anything other than the Nat Geo and the Garmin Legend CX. Having a Mac computer I have been waiting for USB specific models to come out which is why I bought the model and software I did. I have some complaints about how the software works and how the GPS works but I am not sure any other brands are different. I have also discovered that everything I was told at Rei and at Mountain Gear was in some way incorrect or unhelpful. Sorry I could not be of more help to you.
    there is a whole GPS/tech forum her at MTBR, maybe you can get the answers you need there. On a different note, recreational GPS units can be notoriously inaccuarate, and the various softwares (TOPO, etc) are sometimes just a pain at best.

formica

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroDoug

BTW: race report on my blog. See link in sig.
    Halfway through the lap I had to take a 10-second break to vomit some of the Mac n' Cheese. Apparently I didn't fully chew all of it. Game on!
    Now that is good writing right there. I can practically smell the half-chewed Mac n' Cheese vomit through my screen.
    We all get it in the end.

Members who have read this thread: 0