bro not pro

Southern California (Kern River Canyon) Ride Report w/ pictures

Len and me spent a few days riding near the Kern River canyon in the southern Sierras. Ride Reports with pictures :

Whiskey Flats Ride 4/11/2013 (Kernville CA)

Cannell Plunge ride 4/12/2013 (Kernville CA) with Pictures

G O N Z

mtbr member

Re: Southern California (Kern River Canyon) Ride Report w/ pictures

We worked hard for that picture.

Work is the mountain bikers reward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice photos guys! You can go again if you bring more sunshine back with you!!

I just wanna ride my bike
    Great pics! Didn't realize that the Plunge is rideable in mid- April (thought it may be snowbound).

mtbr member
    Been going down To the Kern River Valley for the past several years to ride the Vintage Class at the Keyesville Classic (big gathering with vintage MTB collectors to ride, share and race). Awesome terrain a lot like E. Wa.

Lots of cool people, awesome old bikes, and amazing riding:

And representing the PacNW on the downhill course with a Seattle built Vintage 1986 Rodriguez back in 2011 (focused, looking like a dork, I think the chain slap represents this course on a rigid bike the best).:

I highley recommend the area for some early season fun!

The event is usually March/April and I have started the downhill in snow before but never too much and it is usually gone by 11. Lots of sunshine for the most part!
    Last edited by tductape; 04-25-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sweet ! So cool you actually ride somewhere outside of Washington LOL

Vintage MTB - that's cool. I have a totally mint CF amp that might be a little late to qualify but compared to what we ride today its as vintage as can be.

mtbr member
    The Keysville Classic is the longest running stage race in the US. (25 or so years). About seven years ago they added two vintage classes; "Pre index shifting" so roughly pre 87, and I think the cut is pre 96 on the newer class. Easy going group though so if you show up with clipless pedals on your 85 Moots, nobody is going to give you a hard time. three stages; short track, cross country and downhill, we race the same course as everyone else and get quite a few hoots through the downhill. Myself not included there are certainly a few riders who give the modern supermondo deluxe bikes a run for their money.

Lake Isabella's surrounding area has some awesome riding terrain. Well worth the drive.

The course back in 1992

Earthquake Jake Watson, Keysville Classic, 1992, uphill & downhill - YouTube
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....