mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Something magical is happening in the forest…

Miles of sweet new singletrack are being built all across Washington. We’d heard it was the work of a dedicated group of trail gnomes, so our own Evergreen Trail Crew Leads, Tyler and Bryan, went in search of these tiny, hardworking, yet elusive creatures to try and enlist their help.

Watch the video to find out what happens. And let us know if you find any of those gnomes out there!

Then, if you want to help, go here: Evergreen MTB Calendar

Wondering where Evergreen is working on right now? Here’s a short (not entirely comprehensive) list of our current major trails projects:

Greater Puget Sound:
    King County’s Duthie Hill Park in Issaquah
    E. Tiger Mountain off I-90
    Big Finn Hill Park in Kirkland
    Swan Creek Park in Tacoma

Kitsap Peninsula:
    Port Gamble
    Green Mountain

Wenatchee/Leavenworth area:
    Ski Hill
    Number 2 Canyon (in planning process)

Spokane area:
    Beacon Hill
    Mt Spokane State Park

Battle Ground area:
    Cold Creek trails in the Yacolt State Forest

In 2013 we also maintained 100+ miles of trail statewide including (but not limited to): Ape Canyon, Big Finn Hill, CCC Road, Cedar Creek, Cooper River, Dalles Ridge, Deep Creek, Devils Gulch, Dungeness-Gold Creek, Foggy Dew, Freund Canyon, Grand Ridge, Green Mountain, Green River Gorge, Henrys Ridge, Kachess, Kettle Crest, Lake Sawyer, Middle Fk Snoqualmie River, Mission Ridge, Mt Constitution, Nason Ridge, Noble Knob, Palisades, Ranger Creek, Reiter Foothills, Roslyn Ridge, Saint Edward State Park, Skookum Flats, Smith Creek, Soaring Eagle, Suntop, Tokul East & West, Tolt MacDonald, White River, Beacon Hill, Buck Mt, Duthie Hill, Hansen Ridge, I-5 Colonnade, Leavenworth Ski Hill, LoupLoup, Mt Spokane, Olallie State Park, Paradise Valley, Port Gamble Tree Farm, Sage Hills, South Fork Snoqualmie, Squilchuck State Park, Swan Creek Park, Tiger Mt, Wenatchee #2 Canyon, Yacolt State Forest and more.

If you love riding sweet singletrack, and you haven't already, please consider donating just one day of your time to building and maintaining the trails you love to ride.

In 2013 Evergreen donated more than 10,000 volunteer hours to trail work. If each of our followers volunteered for just one day a year, we could easily donate 50,000 hours!

Remember, gnomes don't build trails...We do. Join us. Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Sweet Tiger dig shirt!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    Sweet Tiger dig shirt!
    Totally! Some really generous and creative Evergreen member had a few of those made up and then gave them to our Trail Crew Leads and a few others who've been working hard out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hmmmm...Virtually no comments from the Peanut Gallery on this one. I can't believe it!

Well, it's Friday. Maybe now folks will want to watch a funny video instead of getting their work done.

I5Troll
    The Trail Gnomes were out en force last weekend!! Sat: Tiger & Swan Creek -- 35 volunteers. Sun: Hwy 410, Paradise and Swan Creek -- another 35 peeps! What an awesome start to the new year. Huge thanks all.

Can we give credit to this awesome video? What do y'all want to see on the next video? What theme would help get more shovels in the dirt this winter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How about some trail repair 101 stuff. Fixing existing muddy sections and making them into water shedding Teflon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great idea Summit Ridge Guy. Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Ridge Guy View Post
    How about some trail repair 101 stuff. Fixing existing muddy sections and making them into water shedding Teflon.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    Last edited by OldschoolBMXer; 01-11-2014 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    I think the trail repair video idea is great, seems like a lot more people are doing their own trail work with sometimes less than ideal results (despite good intentions maybe). I do a lot of music related tutorial videos, and we find that multiple, shorter 2-3 minutes videos that focus on just a small lesson each work best. A lot more people will give a short video a chance, or at least sit through it, versus trying to get them to pay attention to a 5-10 minute video. We have the attention spans of gnats apparently.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Like taking this article and making it into a video. I like the use of a soccer ball to test for water flow. This would be a great job for the kids.Mountain Bike Trail Maintenance 101 | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The soccer ball is a great idea, I'm going to buy one and bring it to the next WTA work party.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for sharing that kasperilio. Love the soccer ball as fall line finder. That would work great as a visual in a video.

Keep 'em coming folks. These ideas and suggestions are terrific!
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    Like taking this article and making it into a video. I like the use of a soccer ball to test for water flow. This would be a great job for the kids.Mountain Bike Trail Maintenance 101 | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog