Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

So where have all the cool kids gone? (Or, my complaint of too few EMBA group rides.)

Seems the last year or so there's been a dearth of group rides on the Evergreen calender. In 2009 and 2010 I remember far more group rides. 2011 was fairly sparse. The last fall and this spring? Yikes. Perhaps with all those work party listings there isn't any room to list 'em? (And yes, I've put time into Duthie.)

So, are the cool kids using a different group ride calender?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You need to know the secret hand shake.

Lead a few.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Video killed the radio star

All the cool kids are at home watchin MTV.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Lead a few.
    This.

It's not as complicated as many folk make it out to be, even though rider experience is a plus. There are certain points of knowledge that can be helpful in a pinch, and there are certain nuances and challenges that you learn to help guide the pack. But ultimately the higher goal is to have fun.

If you can manage having fun, the rest will follow...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been a lot of talk about just this behind the scenes and Glenn and Stacy are aware of that. Plus, here's a call out to everyone to just post up some rides then.
    One thought is that it's just too easy these days to just last minute post on FB and get just your friends to ride with you.

Hopefully, when the weather gets a little better, more "just for fun" rides will start popping up again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Hopefully, when the weather gets a little better, more "just for fun" rides will start popping up again.
    i think the hardest part of leading a ride or leading a work party is, the person that's doing that is now setting aside that chunk of the day. (many times a significant portion)

A person who signs up for a ride or a work party can just drop off if something comes up, and it's not an issue. As a ride leader if you have a dozen people somewhat dependent on you, planning their weekend to your event, you get a call from a pal to go to another trail or whatever, you can't just drop what you're doing and shift gears.

People have only so much time and energy to put into stuff, i personally don't have any left at this time to think about leading rides. i was always of the mind that more people would in that last few years.

And so i hope you're right.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
    So, are the cool kids using a different group ride calender?
    Nope, they are hoping that you will step up and lead a few yourself!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Unfortunately, yeah, that's kind of the thinking among the "old guard" that have been leading rides for years. There's got to be some social demographic reason why the "club" has twice the members now and half the rides. But, the "club" has also transformed into the "alliance" which has more focus on training (HUGE kudos to Debbi for taking this on) and trail work. Partially because we have more options than ever for new trails now thanks to all the hard work behind the scenes. There doesn't seem to be as big a drive to explore and try new places now like there was even a few years ago as well. Seems to me that people are perfectly happy riding Duthie over and over again or Tiger. Leading rides is a commitment like Tim said, and not a lot of people want to take that leap. But, it is a rewarding one. Especially when sharing your favorite routes with others.

Last word is all yours...
    Lots of comments in this thread. My $0.02 is that the calendar will start flushing out as the riding season comes into full swing.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you think the calendar in 09/10 was impressive, you should have seen it 2005-07. The Golden Age!

There's burnout from the old guard and the fact that FB/Twitter allow for more spontaneity. But I think Skookum hit it on the head when he brings up the commitment made on the part of the leader versus the drop-in/drop-out factor of the attendees. Lots of people just can't seem to plan more than a week ahead anymore, especially during the rainy season.

I've recently posted a couple of rides for this month -- this Sunday at Fort Ebey then another later in the month at Moran -- and I have to say that I love nothing more than showing off some of my favorite places to people who've never ridden there. I hope more will start doing the same once the weather turns better.

JRA
    mtbr member
    "Lead a few" doesn't always work. According to my vastly more informed friends it has to be at cool places as well. On the other hand, putting a ride up on the calendar and leading isn't hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    "Lead a few" doesn't always work.
    Actually it does take a while before people identify you as someone they want to ride with. It's for a myriad of reasons, as you say one of them is:

According to my vastly more informed friends it has to be at cool places as well.
    But i think there is more, some people will want something out of a particular ride and they might have more of a chance of experiencing different aspects out of different folk. Some like punctual organized, some like fast paced, some like sniffin the flowers, each ride and ride leader can provide a different vibe, and there's lots of influence on how you route a trail that can really change the experience.

So it's really not even about a popularity of the individual leader so much as if their approach aligns with what a wheel chaser wants.

On the other hand, putting a ride up on the calendar and leading isn't hard.
    This is most always true, but being prepared counts for alot. Get your numbers right on shuttles, get the numbers right on people, don't leave anyone behind, got radios, having a sweep is helpful, have bailout options arranged, possible split groups etc...

Each ride is different as is each group. But like you say, most all the time things sort themselves out, it's straight forward and things are simple.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Yebo Numzaan

The golden age

Quote Originally Posted by EnduroDoug View Post
    If you think the calendar in 09/10 was impressive, you should have seen it 2005-07. The Golden Age!
    I arrived in Seattle in 2002 and have such rad memories of my rides in the early days with some of the 'old school'. Epic rides with Bob, Jim, Art, Lenny, Doug, Armando, Preston, Igor...damn. Good times. Every ride was a new location/ destination / adventure. I probably have that list of names to thank for me ending up deciding to forsake my wondering ways, settle down, get married...

My fondest memory is getting to the top of some wicked climb and we had been going for a couple hours and I might have had 1/2 of one Cliff bar left. We sit on a rocky outcropping and Art pulls out a mini table cloth, half a loaf of bread, tomato, tin of smoked salmon or something...I couldnt believe my eyes. Then for desert he had a whole slab of chocolate which he shared. Classic.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    I arrived in Seattle in 2002 and have such rad memories of my rides in the early days with some of the 'old school'. Epic rides with Bob, Jim, Art, Lenny, Doug, Armando, Preston, Igor...damn. Good times. Every ride was a new location/ destination / adventure. I probably have that list of names to thank for me ending up deciding to forsake my wondering ways, settle down, get married...

My fondest memory is getting to the top of some wicked climb and we had been going for a couple hours and I might have had 1/2 of one Cliff bar left. We sit on a rocky outcropping and Art pulls out a mini table cloth, half a loaf of bread, tomato, tin of smoked salmon or something...I couldnt believe my eyes. Then for desert he had a whole slab of chocolate which he shared. Classic.
    What's funny about that is one of my best memories is just seeing you alive rolling back into the CG about 9:30 all bruised and battered after Kirk and I aborted the Yellow Hill/Jolly/West Fork loop and you continued solo...

Good times.

The rides are out there peoples. Just gotta go explore and share.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think the problem is that Bob led 85% of the rides on the calendar, so it just seems like there aren't many rides listed anymore.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    ...Art pulls out a mini table cloth, half a loaf of bread, tomato, tin of smoked salmon or something...I couldnt believe my eyes. Then for desert he had a whole slab of chocolate which he shared.
    I think I remember Art pulling a casserole dish full of lasagna out of his Camelbak once.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My first "big ride" was out at Dungeness/Gold Creek. I had no idea 1) what I was getting myself into, and 2) how comparatively out of shape I was.

I was way off the back on one of Igor's rides. Finally finish the road portion and make the climb up to the Gold Creek TH, only to find Igor with no shirt on doing yoga atop a boulder. It was about 60 degrees outside, at best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    > I had no idea 1) what I was getting myself into, and 2) how comparatively out of shape I was.

I almost always have that experience when riding with Igor.

OTOH, those few and rare rides where I crushed him I remember them like old lovers, pondering them in my daydreams and holding them close to my heart till the bright sunshine of their memory fools me into thinking I am his equal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm an exceedingly intermediate rider with still-in-recovery cardio; not sure if appropriate I lead any sort of ride but not something I really thought about (a good thing).

The context of social media + Duthie makes sense. I have a small group I usually ride with but it'd be nice to shake it up a bit (people, trails).

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Actually it does take a while before people identify you as someone they want to ride with.
    One or two rides offered by a "new" ride leader with little to no riders signing up and those "new" ride leaders quit trying. Just saying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    One or two rides offered by a "new" ride leader with little to no riders signing up and those "new" ride leaders quit trying. Just saying.
    No i understand, and i would say to those "new" ride leaders. Expect that, but keep posting. Eventually people will sign on.

After a while you'll appreciate a day when nobody signs on, you can roll out of bed whenever you feel like, take siestas in the woods, go my own pace etc...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    No i understand, and i would say to those "new" ride leaders. Expect that, but keep posting. Eventually people will sign on.

After a while you'll appreciate a day when nobody signs on, you can roll out of bed whenever you feel like, take siestas in the woods, go my own pace etc...
    Dang, I hate agreeing with Skooky nearly as much as I hate agreeing with ACREE. But, that nails it.

Debating on not posting any rides this year for a something different (after the ones already posted) and just last minute freelancing for a change....

mtbr member
    I want to be a cool kid.

So, May 9, leading an All Mountain ride (whatever that is) at Galby.

Check the Evergreen calender.

Oh, if nobody signs up. My wife likes me, and she will come anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome, thanks flyaxos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast