Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I5Troll

Snow-free east-side winter rides

I can't imagine this hasn't been posted before, but I can't find any info...

How about Beacon Hill? What are conditions like right now? Also looked all over and can't find a map... is it a Tokul type deal where we're not supposed to publish a map?

Sounds like Sage Hills closes for the winter, correct? (wiki says "may be subject to seasonal closure from December 1 to April 1")

Others?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ancient Lakes. Just saw a Shiggy ride post from out there a while back. Cowiche maybe. State patrol, etc outside the Tri-cities?

Not a lot of snow on the East side this year.

Yeah, Sage closes until spring.

Slothful dirt hippie
    It's not so much snow you have to wait out as goo this time of year.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lots of ridable stuff when it's cold in the morning right now, but when the temp get's above freezing... pretty soupy! Dries out quick though.... sometimes.

mtbr member
    We head down to Echo, OR sometimes. It's about 45 minutes south of Tri-cities, add an hour for Yakima. Well worth it though. It is easy to spin 20+ miles on buff Basin single-track. The guys at Echo Bike and Board will have the current trail conditions. Cowiche may be ridable right now, I haven't been there in a while. Like Ward said, it is sloppy out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    How about Beacon Hill? What are conditions like right now? Also looked all over and can't find a map... is it a Tokul type deal where we're not supposed to publish a map?
    No not like Tokul, more like Galbraith. The map proceeds for Beacon go back into the trails.

Riverside State Park is a staple of riding in Spokane as well.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Like Ward said though- the riding over here is fine in the morning when things are frozen but muddy when it thaws later on and riding it can cause a lot of trail damage

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider View Post
    Like Ward said though- the riding over here is fine in the morning when things are frozen but muddy when it thaws later on and riding it can cause a lot of trail damage
    Yah, don't wan't to be the person leaving the nasty rut on everyone's favorite trail! Bad karma! Some pretty cool old rocky roads & jeep trails here & there that are ridable when surrounding dirt is saturated. Some routes on the L.T. Murray are "rock based". Some good long gravel road cruises now and again too... roads we might not consider otherwise.

I5Troll
    Thanks for the info. Maybe the best way is to follow some of y'all .. Anybody riding somewhere within a 90 min drive of Cashmere on Sat afternoon, any time Sunday, or Monday morning (holiday for some) and feel like showing us the way? Looks like Ancient Lakes qualifies and has some rocky schtuff. Julie and I are staying in Cahsmere Sat & Sun nights. We're slow!! Also hope to ski or snowshoe some.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    No not like Tokul, more like Galbraith. The map proceeds for Beacon go back into the trails.
    How do you get a map? Bike shop? Didn't see anything on FTTRC site except a broken link to a map here: Beacon Hill Project. But... it could have been right in front of my face the whole time. I've been needing to see an eye doc for a long time. Did a night ride last night and forgot my light... the experience was no different for me than riding at noon

I5Troll
    Oh, and 1 more thing... why is it called the "Dry Side?" It seems like the trails are wetter/mushier over there than around here all winter. Oh geez... I'm gonna get flamed for that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Yah, don't wan't to be the person leaving the nasty rut on everyone's favorite trail! Bad karma! Some pretty cool old rocky roads & jeep trails here & there that are ridable when surrounding dirt is saturated. Some routes on the L.T. Murray are "rock based". Some good long gravel road cruises now and again too... roads we might not consider otherwise.
    I thought L.T. Murray/Watt Canyon was closed until the beginning of May due to elk wintering?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Would love to meet and ride w/ you guy's but at White Pass w/ the Fam this weekend. Maybe another time.

Get's saturated over here from snowmelt & occasional rain. Was pretty dang dry for quite a while this winter 'till that last spell of snow. Sometimes the sun and wind will conspire to dry it out in less than 24hrs. Just gotta keep an eye on the weather. And like we said, if the temps not rising over 32, your good to go!

Just hang around a while... believe me, it'll get dry!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Agate View Post
    I thought L.T. Murray/Watt Canyon was closed until the beginning of May due to elk wintering?
    Could be up north, I don't know. We mostly ride the southern section just north of Selah. Roads & trails are usually open all winter down here.

mtbr member
    check yer PMs dude!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    check yer PMs dude!
    Says "0 unread"... I got the one from the other day. Did you send me one today or something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Would love to meet and ride w/ you guy's but at White Pass w/ the Fam this weekend. Maybe another time.

Get's saturated over here from snowmelt & occasional rain. Was pretty dang dry for quite a while this winter 'till that last spell of snow. Sometimes the sun and wind will conspire to dry it out in less than 24hrs. Just gotta keep an eye on the weather. And like we said, if the temps not rising over 32, your good to go!

Just hang around a while... believe me, it'll get dry!
    Depending on the timing of this next storm I think skiing is going to be a great idea- freshies!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider View Post
    Depending on the timing of this next storm I think skiing is going to be a great idea- freshies!
    That's what NOAA is saying... a few inches anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    How do you get a map? Bike shop?
    Yah there are a handful of shops to get one, if you ever do decide to swing thru Spokane let me know and i'll get you hooked up with Peter. He'll show you everything out there, they're really doing some fantastic stuff out there.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm thinking A.L. will be mush punctuated with rocks. It's barely been freezing at night with daytime temps in the 40's :/

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
    I'm thinking A.L. will be mush punctuated with rocks. It's barely been freezing at night with daytime temps in the 40's :/
    Yeah, considering how much it's rained/snowed even down here by Eburg, I'm not optimistic for riding this weekend.

But check out the forecast. If that sun stays out, the precip stays away, and maybe a couple days of hard wind... she'll dry right back up again.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, Sage closes until spring.
    Will Sage be open for Easter? Me and the hubby are considering spending the Easter weekend biking in the Leavenworth/Wenatchee area (have Ancient Lakes on the agenda for that weekend).

mtbr member
    There is a link to a preview of the Beacon Hill map on our front page but since it is a fundraiser we try to encourage people to buy the maps to help support the trails. Bicycle Butler, Mountain Gear, Wheelsport East and Central should have maps.... or you can buy one from me directly. I live at one of the trailheads for Beacon Hill. I can show you around the trails as well

Right now Beacon is still pretty muddy although it is usually drier than other places around Spokane.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Beezley Hill in Ephrata might be another option too (depending on trail conditions). There's also Finley Hills outside of Kennewick, Badger Mountain (Richland), and ACME (Richland). Hill outside Benton City (name escapes me at the moment) has a trail on BLM land.

If only White Bluffs Trail was still open to bike access. ==sigh==

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    Beezley Hill in Ephrata might be another option too (depending on trail conditions). There's also Finley Hills outside of Kennewick, Badger Mountain (Richland), and ACME (Richland). Hill outside Benton City (name escapes me at the moment) has a trail on BLM land.

If only White Bluffs Trail was still open to bike access. ==sigh==
    Agreed, I'd love to ride the fat bikes at White Bluffs... Feds aren't as bike friendly as the state...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast