Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Re: Snoq Middle Fork Rd Construction

Never fear we are always here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    That's a bummer as I do a lot of adventuring out there above and beyond biking, and I am none too psyched on the vast crowds that will now be out there in future years. One of the last slivers of redneck WA gone for good.
    I hear ya. I feel like I'm late the the party, both with this thread and the Middle Fork area in general. We just moved back to the PNW after 12 years in California. We settled in North Bend and I've been learning all of the different recreation zones on the south side of the 90 around the Cedar River Watershed and finally got around to driving out to the Middle Fork area this weekend to start scouting for summer rides and other activities.

When I was driving along Middle Fork road I was thinking "now this is the Washington I remember." Rough road, close to the river, trails all over the place, people car camping, everybody doing their own thing.

The "we just woke up this morning and decided to go outside" factor was nice and low along the road.

I can't believe they are paving this road. All I can say is "Bad roads bring good people."

mtbr member

Forester removing a big un today.

Zoom in on this just after shot. He's leaning in there and this shows this was a big un.

Trail opens to bikes June 1!

(Road closes week days starting may 5 for a couple of years...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    We were out there yesterday poking around along the river, letting the kids play in the water. They are already running very big trucks/trailers up and down the road. It looks like they are removing material and running it out. We were dusted out a couple of times and the drivers are hauling major ass and aren't slowing down or yielding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post

(Road closes week days starting may 5 for a couple of years...)
    I saw the sign saying road closed from 12 to 12. So does that mean it's safe to assume that dawn patrol rides are possible out there during the week?

mtbr member

The last two days on the MF trail have been very productive clearing trees down across the trail. Thanks USFS and Graham for the leadership (and Bill and Jack for essential support).

Reminder the Middlefork trail opens to bikes 6/1 and the trail is ready.
    Last edited by paleo; 05-02-2014 at 11:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm still not understanding why there would be up to an hour wait in each direction, on the weekends. I probably don't really need to know why, but is this how I'm reading the announcement? Its a substantial drive for us Kitsaper's to get there anyway (not that its not worth it) but an hour wait in each direction would be totally prohibitive. We don't sit around waiting in cars very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Still confused about the sign at the start of the road that says "closed from 12 to 12."
    Does that mean during the week we have full access to the entire road (ride in or drive in) and trail heads as long as we are in and out before 12PM?

mtbr member

"Full road closures will begin on the Middle Fork Road on May 5, 2014 and extend through October 31, 2014

Road Closed : 12:00pm (noon) Mon. 12:00pm (noon) Friday

Road Open* : 12:00pm (noon) Friday

* up to 60 minute Delays Allowed"

(From PDF link under)
    http://www.wfl.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/wa/snoqualmie/

I read this to mean Friday is mop up from the week's road work to allow for no delays weekend recreational access by say 5pm.

Road work for next week resumes in earnest at noon Monday.
    Last edited by paleo; 05-06-2014 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    talked w/ an individual from the Forest Service yesterday that confirmed the 7 days a week closure on 7/28 for the rest of the season. very little opportunity for the next 3 years!
    breezy shade

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    talked w/ an individual from the Forest Service yesterday that confirmed the 7 days a week closure on 7/28 for the rest of the season. ...
    You are referring to the CCC TH to MF TH road closure. So basically 7 miles up the dirt it will be closed the 3 miles to the lower TH. There is not much parking there but seems like the ccc trail is open so add that 6 mile RT to your Middlefork mileage for about 35 miles.

If we can slip across from CCC to MF on the weekends when the trucks are likely not working by I would say opportunity knocks.

To me the Goldmyer and Miners are surely impacted unless they stash cars by the taylor river bridge and have clients pedal CCC trail to say a waiting van past the road work. They better stash some gas too!

Did the forester talk though any scenarios like these?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    At this point that's what we need cleared up - from CCC trail to MF campground will be closed all the time to vehicles right ? but will it be closed or not to bikes and walkers ?
    and if it is closed to bikes is that 24/7 ? is that "officially" closed but no worries during off hours or closed as in you will be cited ? (if that's the case can we figure out a bushwhack or river route ? )

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    At this point that's what we need cleared up - from CCC trail to MF campground will be closed all the time to vehicles right ? but will it be closed or not to bikes and walkers ?
    and if it is closed to bikes is that 24/7 ? is that "officially" closed but no worries during off hours or closed as in you will be cited ? (if that's the case can we figure out a bushwhack or river route ? )
    Carry your bike in from Alpental - Snow Lake? It's not that far.... Maybe one of those packable Bike Fridays with kiddie knobbies on it.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post
    You are referring to the CCC TH to MF TH road closure. So basically 7 miles up the dirt it will be closed the 3 miles to the lower TH. There is not much parking there but seems like the ccc trail is open so add that 6 mile RT to your Middlefork mileage for about 35 miles.

If we can slip across from CCC to MF on the weekends when the trucks are likely not working by I would say opportunity knocks.

To me the Goldmyer and Miners are surely impacted unless they stash cars by the taylor river bridge and have clients pedal CCC trail to say a waiting van past the road work. They better stash some gas too!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Did the forester talk though any scenarios like these?
    we didn't get into those details. i'm outa town till Monday. if it hasn't been cleared up by then, i'll be calling again.

the Snow Lake option that's been brought up sounds good to me. it'd sure be great if somehow that could be legalized for the constr. period. otherwise , we just might screwup our good standing. do not wanna do that!
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Snow lake is in the wilderness. Big no-no for bikes. You could definitely hike in to the trails that way if you were so inclined, but it would literally take an act of congress to allow your bike on that trail.

Usually for these projects a full closure means that no one is allowed to use the road (no bikes or hikers). It's a worksite and it's dangerous and the public is retarded. Biking in on the CCC and CCC extension to Taylor seems like what we're getting for access to the mid fork trail.

Justin Vander Pol
    I was joking about Snow Lake, that's why I suggested carrying in a Bike Friday.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member

This Sunday 6/1 is the MF trail opening.

There are 3 6" trees you may have to step over on the middle section between Goldmyer and dingford until a handsaw comes through (suggestion: always bring a handsaw for one or two quick surprises...).

Other than these there should be no remaining blowdowns blocking until something else comes down.

The bracken ferns are up but are unfurled. Last year they popped open and hid the trail by July 4th.

Open to bikes odd days through 10/31 (Halloween).

Per the rest of this thread I suggest being flexible and creative when the road closes at CCC trail in late July. If you want to get through I know you will....

We'll make sure the trail is open...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I can drive/ride into that area on Mondays as long as I'm in and out before noon, correct?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As the notice states, you could still experience delays of up to an hour each way.

bro not pro
    G O N Z

mtbr member

Ooo
    Last edited by paleo; 05-27-2014 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gonz...I think you got Paleo a bit excited there. ;-)

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member

The Goldmyer hot springs community is perhaps the only "business" impacted by the road work.

They are now cut off during the week and at their website they do a good job of sharing the best available info about the road. Their calendar reflects this info as well. I'll be paying attention to what they have to say as July 28th approaches.

If you visit their calendar you may choose to sign up for a soak especially after July 28th as that looks wide open.

I suggest a "Middlefork road closed festival" weekend.

http://www.goldmyer.org
    Last edited by paleo; 05-29-2014 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member

I tested the mf road opens Friday at noon (with one hour delay caveat) and don't count on it. The past two weeks it opened at 4pm so if you don't want to wait show up about 4ish or later on Fridays
    Last edited by paleo; 06-07-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Sawyer Gnome
    Twas a gorgeous day on the Middle Fork with Len, Jack, and Mike today! Now I just need to finally break down a buy a chain guide...
    Raleigh XXIX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast