Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Silent Swamp Squatch

Hey all, it's that time of year where the Tiger trails are closed to ride. But on the bright side we are still in full force building mode. Right now we have not one but to mini ex's working on getting this new trail that connects Preston to NWT trail. The trail bridges engineer was out the other day to get his plans dialed for the two creek bridge crossings, 75' each. Also Evergreen just picked up a brand new totter to make building a little easier.

Plus we already have .28 miles of trail 80% done. The minis are going to be working on a mile or more section of the trail that is between the two bridges. Then after the second bridge it will be a 325' decent to the NWT trail! Which we will start on after the other two sections i've talked about are done.

New SS Trail

After work party BBQ, I think will need a few of these this winter!

I hope you see you out on the trail. check out the times we will be having work partys or email me if you have another time you want to come out.

Evergreen MTB Calendar
    tyler@evergreenmtb.org
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    On the map the SS trail looks flat and straight, but when you see it in person it is anything but that! It looks like it will be a lot of fun to ride when it opens.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Rad news!

I am hoping work parties will keep going all winter. I am pretty booked for the next few weeks but will be out in November.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Don't see anything on the calendar. Weather looks great for trail work, rain.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    been busy Dave, keep your eyes pealed, they'll be out soon.

NW MTBER
    Sounds awesome. I hope to help out this winter with the build since I live on Tiger. Any idea if the new bridges will be like the toxic variety they put in on NW Timber? I sure hope not. Those streams used to be a spot we would hang out and take it all in during the ride. Now I hold my breath as long as possible when riding through...
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They will be steel!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    work party this weekend

mtbr member

?

How much of the existing SS trail will be used for this new one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    maybe half of the old logging road (.5 mile-ish), but we will be reclaiming the old road bed and turning it in to more of a winding singletrack. Kind of like Hansen Ridge but done way better!

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    You gotta go see it in person. It's going to be a sweet connector between NW Timber and Preston! Real trail, built by mountain bikers, for mountain bikers!

Lynch, FM and others, good building with you guys. I'll definitely be out there on build days a bunch more this winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silent Swamp Squatch-img_3213-600x800-.jpg  

Silent Swamp Squatch-img_3210-800x600-.jpg  

Silent Swamp Squatch-img_3193-600x800-.jpg  

Silent Swamp Squatch-img_3186-800x600-.jpg  

Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Donnell is a bad ass, pretty hard core, been out at tiger so much. Thank this man.

builder
    Feb 2009
    Ditto to Juice's comments above; I spent yesterday with Tyler in thte rain working on the other end of the trail. This is going to be a great bike trail, good flow with technical portions, great scenery (big old stumps, cedar groves), and built by the users.Kudos to Tyler for having the passion and knowledge to put together a great trail. We also went up to check on the Summit trail to see how it was doing with the rain. Only a few puddles and with no traffic on it, not too muddy. Once a gain a great trail built right.
    Last edited by dirt pirate; 10-28-2012 at 07:38 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Dirt Pirate on the westside! sweet

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Donnell is a bad ass, pretty hard core, been out at tiger so much. Thank this man.
    Yeah, Donnell is a frequent contributor up on Galby as well. Great guy too.

builder
    Feb 2009
    I decided it was time to learn how to build real trails, so I hooked up with Tyler at Tiger. You can learn a lot when you leave your native environment, Tiger is not Sage Hills or Number Two canyon. Check out this video of Tyler removing an alder snag.

https://vimeo.com/52327004

I need to find a way to get to Tiger more often, the most fun I've had trail building in a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Infiltrating the Sasquatch strong hold.

mtbr member
    Looks like fun in the mud. No canopy on the mini ex, that's gotta be rough Tyler. On the other hand you do have a mini ex, that's a bonus.

Donnell is beyond hard core, he even took a road trip to help build trail at Beacon. I might have to check out the trail this winter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Work party Saturday. Lot's of cool water crossing to rock armor. The weather looks better on Sunday, so come build on Saturday then enjoy the nicer stuff on Sunday!

We will be meeting at the lower gate before you get to the summit heading from I90.
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

I5Troll
    The turn-off to the east-side road gate is very easy to miss! Here's a map:

Turn just before you see this sign... not far after the median starts:

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DP, you all have a lot to be proud of too. Stairway is one of my favorite hand built trails of all time. But, definately a different challenge on the wet side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great to see so many folks coming out to help build the new trail! Thanks to all of you!!

And if you know anyone else you can wrangle into coming out, please do grab 'em. The more folks we have out there working, the sooner this new trail is going to be open to ride next season!

Don't forget, kids love playing in dirt too...And there's always something anyone can do. So bring the young ones out and score bonus points with the family while helping build sweet trail!

Next wp is manana (hmmm, no way to put the accents on that one) - Saturday 11/3
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good day of building today. It was perfect weather for it and strangely it didn't rain much at all.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Typical Tiger, going to need some more help.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

I5Troll
    Thanks for the pics and help, all! And ditto, Dave... typical Tiger. When we first benched in that section of trail in Sept, I remember saying "Wow, primo conditions here! Nothing like the Summit or Preston trails." Then the Oct rains came and the water started oozing out of the side of the hill. It gets much worse further down the trail.

The squatch is going to be a lot of work, but it'll be a beeeee-yootiful couple miles of trail. As you descend from the summit, you'll go from the thick, never thinned, no floor vegetation Hemlock and Silver Fir forest of the Summit and top of Preston trails...

As you descend Preston, things green up. The ferns and Oregon grape will start to pop up and trees will change to Doug Fir, Cedar and Hemlock. For a portion of the new Silent Swamp trail you'll be riding above the salmonberry, devil's club and vine maples down in the schwampy flats. Then on to the NWT...

Thanks to Paris Gore for the pics from the Tiger Mt Enduro -- Tiger MT Enduro - Seattle, Washington - Pinkbike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast