Certifiably Crazy

Seattle to Portland Classic questions.

Hi all, I'm signed up for the Seattle to Portland classic in July. For people that have done this ride what were your impressions? Is it an enjoyable ride? Lot of headwinds? Do I need rain gear?

I'm taking my road bike for the ride, but when it's over I'd like to go mountain biking with a friend that's driving up there with me. Can anyone recommend a bike shop in Vancouver that rents mountain bikes? I would need it for at least two days.

Thank you,
    Carlos from California.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Hi all, I'm signed up for the Seattle to Portland classic in July. For people that have done this ride what were your impressions? Is it an enjoyable ride? Lot of headwinds? Do I need rain gear?

I'm taking my road bike for the ride, but when it's over I'd like to go mountain biking with a friend that's driving up there with me. Can anyone recommend a bike shop in Vancouver that rents mountain bikes? I would need it for at least two days.

Thank you,
    Carlos from California.
    STP is fun, if you do it with a friend/group. Very well supported. Not too bad headwinds in the first half, second half can be a little, and kinda rolling hills till you go over the bridge. Probably don't need rain gear depending on the weather that day.

Vancouver canada or WA?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've done STP before (twice). Just make sure you get a fair amount of training in beforehand and you will be fine. It isn't TOO difficult of a ride. I would definitely prepare for rain, and headwinds can be hit-or-miss. Both years I have done it ended up with headwinds from Longview to Portland, but I have had friends who claim to have gotten tailwinds the whole way on that stretch.

Something I like to do (if you are two-daying it) is getting all the way to Napavine the first day rather than stopping in Centralia. There is a "big" hill in Napavine I like to get out of the way on day 1. If you have support following you, they can pick you up at the elementary school at the top of the hill and you can stay in Chehalis. Otherwise, in the past they have let people camp out in the gym at the school.

Only thing I don't like about the STP is, because it is so popular, it is pretty crowded. Be prepared to deal with a lot of people who don't know road-bike etiquette very well.

(None of the "big" hills on the ride are really all that daunting. I actually think the worst hill on the ride is going over the bridge in Longview.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well supported. Not the most scenic ride in the world, but not bad either.

Generates a lot of hostility with the locals in some of the southern WA counties. Every year there are stories of bike/car altercations. Keep your head up and stay right when you can and you should avoid most of that.

As mentioned previously lots of people and lots of people with little to no road sense or skills. Again, keep your head up, and be careful of the wheel you follow. I've seen people detonate their brakes in a pace line.

Its a good course if you are doing a double. No real hills, some rollers in the second hundred. It's fun if you have some friends, solo not so much, other than its a good course to put up a fast time and cross a double off the list.

EMBA Member
    We went to Vader day one which made for a relatively short day two (I highly recommend going as far as you think you can on day one). Vader is around 135 miles from the start, and even though I had trained quite a bit, I remember being totally gassed by the time we got to Vader. To this day, that's the farthest I've ever ridden in one day. Day two though we flew all the way into Portland. Only did the ride that one time. It is worth doing once, but there wasn't anything about it that makes me want to do it again. I think the year I did it is 92 or 93, but I'd be surprised if the route or anything else about the ride has changed much.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Can anyone recommend a bike shop in Vancouver that rents mountain bikes? I would need it for at least two days.

Thank you,
    Carlos from California.
    On the Washington side, I'd recommend Camas Bike and Sport. In PDX, Fat Tire Farm. Both carry and rent Specialized and have hard tails and full suspension available.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Seattle to Portland Classic questions.

I stopped riding it cause I think they allow to many riders nowadays and some of the inexperienced riders can make it fairly dangerous. That plus the aforementioned aggro drivers in south Wa. It is a fun ride scenic ride though and I generally enjoyed it. I was on one day pace the last year I road the Stp but a really nasty headwind kept us from making it past castle rock after we left centralia.