mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Seattle Area Climbs

New to the Seattle area and training for Leadville 100. I've done the Tiger Mt climb as repeats enough times. I'm looking for some long and steep fire road, double track or easy single track climbs to help prep for Pb. An hour or two commute is not an issue.

Any suggestions/leads greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Grand Ridge? Coral Pass Rd down on 410 is long too.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If your looking for a killer ride with some peoples, this is it. 6000' vert of climbing all on singletrack.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

Hwy 410 will be one of the better spots for big climbs.

ranger creek is a good test of endurance
    Trail:Ranger Creek - Evergreen Trail Guide

Then take a right at the shelter and go up Noble Knob.
    Trail:Noble Knob - Evergreen Trail Guide

Close to Seattle, ride up from exist 38 and it's around 4500 feet of climbing. It's the quickest big ride from Seattle I think.
    Trail:South Fork Snoqualmie - Evergreen Trail Guide

There's more, but I use to live in CO and those are what come to mind for big CO style climbs.

There are logging roads from Issaquah that link you in to Tiger and or Taylor mt. You can get a good 4000' climb out of them if you know where to go!

What are you ride days?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Mount Teneriffe road climb outside North Bend will kill you. Or make you stronger.

Sun Top road in the 410 area is mind numbing but good as well. Elevation climbing which you really need within an hour would be the road climb to Silver creek/Kachess Ridge as well as many logging road options off I-90. (Took me a minute to get the Pb reference as it's been too long since chemistry class...)

mtbr member
    I was going to say Sun Top also, long relentless climb with a great view at the top and a pretty fun descent.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I would look East and focus on dirt road climbing vs. some of the trail climbing suggested. Look around Wenatchee and Leavenworth for some of the dirt road climbs. This should be a good Lville training ride Gran Fondo Leavenworth | Vicious Cycle. Looks like lots of others in that area as well. The Kachess ridge road climb is another good one. From the brief ride I was on in the Joe Watt canyon area, that also looks to have lots of dirt climbing potential. A little farther north, the gravel climb up and over the ridge from the Entiat river valley to Lake Chelan is one of the longer climbs I can think of. That one seems long even while driving.

In the 410 area, the dirt climb from Corral Pass to Crystal is another good option.

mtbr member
    If you want alot of climbing there is an alternative way of doing tiger mtn. Turn left at the 4 green boxes go past preston rr grade trailhead, drop down past fifteenmile pass and up west tiger summit. There's a short hike a bike around the radio towers then take main tiger mtn. road and Rd 4000 back to east tiger summit. Go down east tiger trail and preston then turn right and ride Crossover rd back up east tiger. ...but first buy a map there's alot of wrong turns out there.

mtbr member
    Lots of options off 90. Besides what's already been mentioned, there's Taneum, above Cle Elum, Teanaway, Table Mtn. These are east of Snoq Pass and lass then 2 hrs away. Everything from small paved roads to dirt roads and trails, plus good High Cascade views. You might want to get the Alpine Lks map which shows most of these areas. Good season for it this year with the early melt out.
    Good luck

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    If you want alot of climbing there is an alternative way of doing tiger mtn. Turn left at the 4 green boxes go past preston rr grade trailhead, drop down past fifteenmile pass and up west tiger summit. There's a short hike a bike around the radio towers then take main tiger mtn. road and Rd 4000 back to east tiger summit. Go down east tiger trail and preston then turn right and ride Crossover rd back up east tiger. ...but first buy a map there's alot of wrong turns out there.
    Or start with and out-n-back to poo-poo point riding Iverson both ways, then West Tiger, then East Tiger.

Also you can hook up s BOB trailer and put some weight in it...that will get you strong

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Or start with and out-n-back to poo-poo point riding Iverson both ways, then West Tiger, then East Tiger.

Also you can hook up s BOB trailer and put some weight in it...that will get you strong
    Did Leadville a few years ago. Link all the tiger climbs and add in grand ridge and you have 6-7 hrs of climbing. Road riding down near Rainier on the road can give you some vert as well as the stuff mentioned off 410. Suntop and all the stuff on the other side is an easy 7 hrs. Head south to Capital Forest and you can ride till your legs fall off. Lots of climbing down there. Rt 20 through the north cascades is another killer road ride

You just missed some of the best tune up races around here, but check out NW epic series for the Chelan course and ride vicious for the Leavenworth course, good climbing there as well.

PM me if you have any questions on Leadville. Not an expert, but I did it a couple times and did OK

Forgot the middle fork Snoqualmie. Its a bad ass ride with some vert at the end. Not a ton of total vertical, but there is a lot of up and down and the tech makes you work. If running it out and back isn't enough for you, run it twice

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for all the replies!

I've done a few passes up Grand Ridge, but looking for more sustained vert. and avoided some of the larger single track trails opening up just because I'm running solo at this point and don't need to get lost or worse.

I moved here from the midwest and didn't get much riding in last year with the move so I've been focusing on sustained vert and building power. Honestly I almost didn't put in for Pb100 this year, but four years of striking out I figured I would just miss again and have a year to rebuild. So I've been trying to build base from basically zero since February.

Saturday is my long day at 6-7hrs. Sunday shorter 3-4. Will probably hit Tiger again tomorrow when the time is tighter and try and check out Teneriffe or Sun Top on Sunday when I have some time to find the trail and head and get a little lost

I did the first two races of NWEpic... not well, but completed And would love to do the Vicious Gran Fondo but will be in Denver for work... luckily there is a Gran Fondo in Golden that Sunday so packing the cross bike.

Thanks again for all the leads!

I5Troll
    2nd on Tenerife. When I was in shape that was my gauge. All steep dirt road with lots of baby heads. Very easy to get to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Seattle Area Climbs

Another good road climb would be Lions Rock over in Kittitas county (also known as Reecer Canyon). Lower part is paved and upper part is gravel. Not sure if the upper section is clear of snow yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post

There are logging roads from Issaquah that link you in to Tiger and or Taylor mt. You can get a good 4000' climb out of them if you know where to go!
    can you please tell me more about this? able to connect somehow from where Grand Ridge comes close to 90?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I almost hate to say it, but there are also tons of road (pavement) climbs that are sustained and will open earlier in the season. Go park on 410 near the crystal mountain access road and ride to up to Crystal, then up to chinook and sunrise and see if you can find enough vert. Dirt is nicer than asphalt, but if it is training you are after...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    can you please tell me more about this? able to connect somehow from where Grand Ridge comes close to 90?
    It's on the south end of Issaquah. There are logging roads to Iverson.

There are also logging roads from Taylor to Tiger Summit parking lot.

There is NO legit way to get from Grand Ridge/ I-90 side of Tiger, with out a little time on HWY 18.

I'll post a group ride on the Evergreen calender soon to ride Tiger and Taylor from Issaquah. The Route is 30-50 miles and 3000'-5000' of vert. Half of it is on trails.

Maybe a Tuesday or Thursday night at 6-9:30pm?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    You can get in off Tiger Mtn Road. There is a permit only parking area (almost) at the top. Its where the paragliding guys go in.

Go through the gate, up a bit and you will hit the logging roads. Go left; out and back to poo poo point. Right takes you to Iverson.

If you take the road past Preston you can get to two more climbs. Both steep, one ridiculously so. Not rideable by mortals, but good hike a bike practice for when you are dragging your butt up Powerline late in the race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Grab your road bike and go do repeats on Hurricane Ridge. Each trip up is 5200 feet of vert at a pretty sustained grade.

Or if you have the descending skills, grab the MTB and do repeats on Kachess, at least that climb is rewarded with a quality descent. Running laps on this 2-4 times in a day will certainly provide some quality training.

The one thing you'd want for Leadville that you can't get here is altitude. The highest you'll ride in WA is pretty much the lowest you'll ride at Leadville.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you're in town and don't have time to get out you can ride back and forth over the ridges in Wedgewood and Maple Leaf. NE 65th, 70th 80th and 98th. I do this as an after work ride on my Surly Troll, it's a tank but that's the point.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Hopefully my Google link will work correctly to Captain Point. Easily accessible from Highway 2, it's a real bear for me, but then again I suck at climbing. Total gain is around 4500 or so I think. Non stop straight up and all dirt as well.

Old Cascade Hwy to Unknown road - Google Maps
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....