Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew

In Seattle 8-17 and hoping for a ride/guide :)

Hey guys,

My name's Mike and I'm from Phoenix. I'll be in Seattle for work August 17th & 18th and I'm hoping to rent a bike and get a half day of riding on Saturday the 17th with a few locals.

I ride a Specialized Pitch (5.5" AM bike) normally and while I know the terrain is going to be vastly different I'll go out and say I enjoy "technical" climbing and descending most.

This is a video of one of our favorite trails in Phoenix:

Hella Hairball 2012-04-07 from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

I think these two may be more like what I'll experience in Washington, though:

Flagstaff - Upper & Lower Wasabi from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

Flagstaff - Double D & Lower Wasabi from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

I love those trails just as much if not more than Hairball but when Hairball is 20 minutes from home and you can pedal it all and Wasabi is 3 hours away in Flagstaff and requires shuttling... But, it's hot as hell here in Phoenix (already 110) so we try to make it up to Flag regularly during the summer.

So, that's a taste of what I'm about. I won't be pulling any road gaps but jumps and drops are fun. I definitely don't want to be bored.

Anyone up for showing a hack like me around? My lodgings are not yet set but the event I'm working is going to be based around Genesee Park near Andrews Bay & Mercer Island so that's likely where I'll be. I've no problems driving an hour or so to ride the "good" stuff. I did go through your FAQ but without knowing the trail locations the names are kinda meaningless to me. A place to rent a decent AM bike either near Genesee Park or near the riding locale will be needed. What should I expect to pay for the rental?

If nothing else, I hope my videos entertained you just a little...

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    it's probably a bit early to be asking about a ride in middle of august

keep an eye on the evergreen mtb events calendar and i would post again a week or so before the time comes. if i'm around, i would be up for going for a ride.

No Clue Crew
    Yeah, I thought it might be but I was hoping to get some ideas rolling about where to rent and trails to ride so I can do some research and determine what and where I wanna ride.

I saw the Evergreen site but didn't look super close at it yet. They seem to be a big deal up there so I suspect they've got plenty of good info and maps for me to research.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    evergreen is great but i've gone what you are going through before i moved to seattle when i was visiting trying to figure out where to rent bikes and where to ride. honestly although there is a lot of info, i still found it difficult since a lot of the info is outdated especially about where to rent a bike. i've had friends rent at Gerk's in Issaquah. They have a good selection of new specialized bikes but it's pricey ($100/day). I also was close to renting from Montlake bikes. They had a santa cruz nomad and were a bit cheaper but were out of the mediums since i was calling the day before i was hoping to rent.

as for places to ride, from the looks of your videos, i would say if you want to stay within 40 minutes of seattle to check out tokul east and duthie. however, if you are keen to drive up to 1.5 hours, there is some seriously awesome riding to be had.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    For rentals, you should also check out Kirkland Bicycle Shop. Josh has a really nice fleet, including yeti, ibis and santa cruz, and there's a good discount for longer rental periods (i.e., $300/5 days for high-end stuff).

Riding-wise, in addition to Tokul (east and west) and Duthie (+Grand Ridge), Tiger Mt. is a close-in staple.

I'd bump this thread again a little closer to your travel date.

I didn't do it
    Although outside your stated driving time, I think Galbraith might fit your style. There are a bunch of friendly locals up there who I'm sure would be more than happy to show you around. Close to Seattle I would go with Tokul East.

No Clue Crew
    No problem with driving the hour and a half for Galbraith. Looks pretty sweet and may have plenty over my head but definitely promising. mountainbikebill.com did a write up and has a video that I'm downloading but the internet at the hotel here in CDA is horrendously slow. It might be done downloading when I get back from the CDA Boat Tour tonight...

I googled Tokul and this lady seems to have East classified as DH/FR while West is XC. East sounds like my cup of tea. I'll have to search for some video of the area trails.

Dulthie also sounds good and closer than Galbraith. MTB Bill was there as well and has links to lots of videos I'll have to check out. Man, just looking at the pics on his site is getting me excited! Probably will be a lot over my head but I've never been to an actual park with purpose-built features.

Bill's got a boatload of stuff from Washington. Looks like I'll be busy at his site for a while...

Thanks for all the great info so far!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's funny that Angela's blog is what pops up. Pretty old report if I recall.... 3-4 years ago? A lot has changed since then but it's still generically "ridable up" at West and "road up/trail down" at East. Either way, both are fun. Off hours are best for Duthie as it's packed on sunny weekeds and after work hours.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Don't leave out the fact that both Tokuls require a permit. I think there's a per-day option now.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    Don't leave out the fact that both Tokuls require a permit. I think there's a per-day option now.
    I think I remember see that when googling...

mtbr member
    Hi Mike,

August is the best time in Seattle for riding in the mountains. If I had half a day and didn't want to waste too much time driving I'd opt for Kachess Ridge (out and back), Esmeralda, Crystal Mountain (out and back) or Suntop. If I had a full day... well that opens a whole new world of possibilities.
    Don't get me wrong, Duthie, Tokul, Galbraith are all great options - if you can't get into the mountains. If the mountains are clear of snow either of those seem like a waste of time to me compared to the alternatives.
    I'd be happy to ride with you, although I can't guarantee that far in advance that I'll be available. If you are interested shoot me a PM a week before you are in Seattle.

Wonko

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    August is the best time in Seattle for riding in the mountains. If I had half a day and didn't want to waste too much time driving I'd opt for Kachess Ridge (out and back), Esmeralda, Crystal Mountain (out and back) or Suntop. If I had a full day... well that opens a whole new world of possibilities.

Don't get me wrong, Duthie, Tokul, Galbraith are all great options - if you can't get into the mountains. If the mountains are clear of snow either of those seem like a waste of time to me compared to the alternatives.

I'd be happy to ride with you, although I can't guarantee that far in advance that I'll be available. If you are interested shoot me a PM a week before you are in Seattle.

Wonko
    I'll have pretty much an entire day but I'll be honest, I don't think my legs would be willing to work for a full day... Galbraith sounds fun because I've never been to a real bike park that was built for bikes, not hikers. We had a talk here on MTBR in the AZ forum and came to the conclusion that we have almost ZERO bike trails in AZ. What we do have is LOTS of hiking trails where bikes are permitted.

I'll check out your recommendations as soon as I'm done working this Ironman race in CDA...

I didn't do it
    Those trails suggested by Wonko are top notch but beware-those are some serious grinds in terms of leg strength and lung capacity. You will earn your fun. If you're still considering Galbraith, here's a recent thread that I think might of interest to you. And the I-5 detour has been resolved and no longer an issue.

Galbraith Trails Resource

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Those trails suggested by Wonko are top notch but beware-those are some serious grinds in terms of leg strength and lung capacity. You will earn your fun.
    Yikes. That may be a deal breaker. I've just had my ass handed to my by some trails here in Idaho: 257, 258 and then 79 (Caribou Ridge). WAY more climbing that I'm used to left me with an empty tank for the fun and techy Caribou Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    If you're still considering Galbraith, here's a recent thread that I think might of interest to you. And the I-5 detour has been resolved and no longer an issue.

Galbraith Trails Resource
    Cool. If I decide on Galbraith I'll order one of those maps. They oughta strap a GoPro to someone and run down each trail then post it so we can SEE what each trail is like

No Clue Crew
    A week out now! And the weather is looking GREAT. But, if it's like I suspect it is what weather.com says is the weather is right now will change about every 30 seconds so it may not be when I get there.

I get into town at 1:20 next Friday. I'm staying at a Days Inn in Tukwila. I was thinking if I can find a LBS to rent from towards the end of the day (so I hopefully only get charged for 1 full day) I could hit I-5 then I'm thinking Duthie Hill on Saturday morning.

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Looking for some tech but in no condition to really kill myself earning some chunk. And, I know it's all relative but my lungs and legs aren't the best climbers although we typically have a different type of climb here in AZ.

First thing I wanna get taken care of is a rental. I see from another thread VeloceVelo rents but their site says nothing about rentals.

Go Huck Yourself is not far from my room but nothing about rentals even though the sticky says it.

Kirkland has a Yeti demo going on I'm gonna try to get a 66 for the day but they aren't open yet They are probably filled up by now but it'll be worth the drive for a free rental. If I get that I'll just be riding Sat.

Hopefully, I'll get a couple takers for showing me around...

mtbr member
    Sent you a PM....
    2013 Stumpy Evo

Cat Herder
    I'd recommend renting from Montlake Bike Shop over Veloce Velo.
    Montlake Bike Shop - Rentals
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by syngltrkmnd View Post
    I'd recommend renting from Montlake Bike Shop over Veloce Velo.
    Montlake Bike Shop - Rentals
    I saw them and I'm not about to put a $2k to $3k charge on my card for a bike rental. That's what their insurance is for.

Looks like I'm gonna head up to Stevens with Chris and his crew Sat morning so I'll reserve a bike up there tomorrow. Getting stoked! Not sure what I'll do with my Friday, though...

mtbr member

Re: In Seattle 8-17 and hoping for a ride/guide :)

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I'm not about to put a $2k to $3k charge on my card for a bike rental....
    The swipe is really just to protect the shop in case anything happens to the bike and does not show up on your card unless the renter flees with the bike which I was has never happened. What has happened is a cross bike was stolen by a bad guy while in the case of the renter. Also there is usually some little charge if there is a damage and that is in large print on what you sign up at downhill centers such as Stevens and Whistler.

I assume but you should ask is will my credit limit be drawn down at all and I think the answer is no so even if your credit card is near max if all goes well they will never.

Apparently the security card can not be a debit card.

You should see this pattern anywhere you rent especially Whistler.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 08-11-2013 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    I am surprised none of the 'locals' have chimed in. The riding here is very different than your second 2 videos. I am familiar with Phoenix chunk, and those second two videos much look flowy and tree covered to you. Compared to most PNW riding, those are still chunky. Around here you have to get up to some elevation to find the chunk. You will be comfortable on Slingshot Wookie up at Stevens (on a DH bike).

Our technical stuff is more about roots, drops and ladders. Since its so dry, they are like 50% easier now. Most of the trails here have gone to flowy jump lines (like at Duthie).

I was planning on riding both Duthie and Stevens next weekend. I think those should be #1 and #2 on your list. Probably Galbraith #3, simply because Bellingham is farther away. If you need someone to ride with, I could meet up with ya.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    The swipe is really just to protect the shop in case ... You should see this pattern anywhere you rent especially Whistler.
    I've seen it. Just never had to rent from anyone that used it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I am surprised none of the 'locals' have chimed in. The riding here is very different than your second 2 videos. I am familiar with Phoenix chunk, and those second two videos much look flowy and tree covered to you. Compared to most PNW riding, those are still chunky. Around here you have to get up to some elevation to find the chunk. You will be comfortable on Slingshot Wookie up at Stevens (on a DH bike).
    Yeah, I know it will be plenty different. I think the second two videos you are talking about were in Flagstaff which is getting similar to your area. The only thing that worries me is gap jumps and Chris said there weren't any at Stevens. With only a few trails up there it might not as exciting as a couple other places but it'll be a good place for my first ride on a REAL downhill rig and a lift (without a snowboard anyways). Hopefully, tame enough that I don't break myself 'cause I still gotta work, but should be plenty of excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I was planning on riding both Duthie and Stevens next weekend. I think those should be #1 and #2 on your list. Probably Galbraith #3, simply because Bellingham is farther away. If you need someone to ride with, I could meet up with ya.
    I REALLY liked Galbraith but the drive is just too long for a limited stay. I think the plan is Stevens by opening time and ride 'til 2 or 3. That'll likely be more than my old, weary legs can handle.

mtbr member
    I suggest tiger Mtn
    Ill be in whistler for crankworx otherwise I just moved from AZ & could give you a taste of the hero dirt

mtbr member
    If your riding Friday, I'd highly recommend Tiger too! I was up there yesterday and it is the best I have seen it in years. The rain on friday really help with the dust, but wasnt enough to make it muddy or anything. It was so good I considered blowing off my faimily plans and doing another lap!

Tiger is pretty busy, so even if your solo it is easy to join up with someone in the lot. I've met a lot of people that way.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    If your riding Friday, I'd highly recommend Tiger too! I was up there yesterday and it is the best I have seen it in years. The rain on friday really help with the dust, but wasnt enough to make it muddy or anything. It was so good I considered blowing off my faimily plans and doing another lap!

Tiger is pretty busy, so even if your solo it is easy to join up with someone in the lot. I've met a lot of people that way.
    I'll have the free time but since I'm likely gonna be dropping $120 on the rental and lift Saturday I'll probably just relax Friday...

No Clue Crew
    Just had to post this little clip...

Stevens Park Roller from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

HUUUUUUGE thanks to Chris, Evan, Jack, and Ryan for letting me tag along on their trip up to Stevens Bike Park. Had an absolute blast!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast