Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Moist and Delicious
    That's what a decent bike will save you from.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Glad you had fun Mike! we got a ton of good video and hope to have some up soon.
    Riding that rock was insane. I didn't even like standing on that monster.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: In Seattle 8-17 and hoping for a ride/guide :)

What rock? The one on all the posters? I'm not doing that but that one Mike freaked out on didn't look all that sketchy, but then again, I'm five ipa's deep currently...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I believe the one on the posters is the one Mike rolled. Its on Lichen it a good 12-15ft tall, insanely steep and covered in moss and Lichen. I looked at it a couple times and it looked like you would just pile into the ground at the bottom. It doesnt look big in video but it looks ridiculous in person. it might be a while before i give that one a try.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: In Seattle 8-17 and hoping for a ride/guide :)

The one in Mike's video is not the one on the poster. I'll link here soon where me and eddy looked at that steep rock face, it must be a different one, I may never ride the one from the poster.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Good to meet you Mike. Good on ya for dropping that rock. I got on top of it at the beginning of the day and decided I'd save it for much later.

mtbr member
    I cant think of any other steep rock faces at Stevens, but I could be wrong! I'm usually just hanging on and hoping for the best!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    The one on the poster is kind of hidden off a left hand corner on Lichen It, hard to see in the trees unless you're looking back at it once you pass. Unless Stevens removed all the trees around it recently, I don't think the one in his video is it. Though I admit I don't remember seeing the rock in his video anywhere either.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    My video of "Lichen It" from last season doesn't show the big rock, but for 2013 they cleared a path up to it and it is very visible now.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    It doesnt look big in video but it looks ridiculous in person. it might be a while before i give that one a try.
    When I went past it the first time it looked big but rollable. When I got to the top and tipped it off the edge I about sh|t myself 'cause from up there it looks like the ground is 90 from vertical. It was actually pretty smooth but it was scary as hell.

Was this the rock that you warned us towards the beginning to stay left on?

I wanna see this poster now, though

Hopefully, I'll get to work through my footage this week and post another video or two. Thanks again for letting me tag along!

mtbr member
    Here's the poster people keep talking about:

In Seattle 8-17 and hoping for a ride/guide :)-freehubad_stevenspass_3-18-13_final-620x745.jpg
    Tarekith.com

Just roll it......
    The rock roll in the poster isn't part of the trail - according to Kintner.

mtbr member
    It looks VERY similar to the one on "Lichen it" now. It wasn't really accessible last year, but they cleared it fairly recently. It could be a different rock. I'll have to compare to the footage I got of the rock from the front side.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Checkout the Steven's Pass facebook page. On July 31st they posted they reworked the rock and have some pix. So the rock in the Video IS the same rock that's on the poster.

It's a good example of how things looks a lot different in videos than they are in real life.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Interesting, well I guess that clears that up then!
    Tarekith.com

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    For rentals, you should also check out Kirkland Bicycle Shop. Josh has a really nice fleet, including yeti, ibis and santa cruz, and there's a good discount for longer rental periods (i.e., $300/5 days for high-end stuff).

Riding-wise, in addition to Tokul (east and west) and Duthie (+Grand Ridge), Tiger Mt. is a close-in staple.

I'd bump this thread again a little closer to your travel date.
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    No problem with driving the hour and a half for Galbraith. Looks pretty sweet and may have plenty over my head but definitely promising. mountainbikebill.com did a write up and has a video that I'm downloading but the internet at the hotel here in CDA is horrendously slow. It might be done downloading when I get back from the CDA Boat Tour tonight...

I googled Tokul and this lady seems to have East classified as DH/FR while West is XC. East sounds like my cup of tea. I'll have to search for some video of the area trails.

Dulthie also sounds good and closer than Galbraith. MTB Bill was there as well and has links to lots of videos I'll have to check out. Man, just looking at the pics on his site is getting me excited! Probably will be a lot over my head but I've never been to an actual park with purpose-built features.

Bill's got a boatload of stuff from Washington. Looks like I'll be busy at his site for a while...

Thanks for all the great info so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Those trails suggested by Wonko are top notch but beware-those are some serious grinds in terms of leg strength and lung capacity. You will earn your fun. If you're still considering Galbraith, here's a recent thread that I think might of interest to you. And the I-5 detour has been resolved and no longer an issue.

Galbraith Trails Resource
    Quote Originally Posted by syngltrkmnd View Post
    I'd recommend renting from Montlake Bike Shop over Veloce Velo.
    Montlake Bike Shop - Rentals
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    A week out now! And the weather is looking GREAT. But, if it's like I suspect it is what weather.com says is the weather is right now will change about every 30 seconds so it may not be when I get there.

I get into town at 1:20 next Friday. I'm staying at a Days Inn in Tukwila. I was thinking if I can find a LBS to rent from towards the end of the day (so I hopefully only get charged for 1 full day) I could hit I-5 then I'm thinking Duthie Hill on Saturday morning.

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Looking for some tech but in no condition to really kill myself earning some chunk. And, I know it's all relative but my lungs and legs aren't the best climbers although we typically have a different type of climb here in AZ.

First thing I wanna get taken care of is a rental. I see from another thread VeloceVelo rents but their site says nothing about rentals.

Go Huck Yourself is not far from my room but nothing about rentals even though the sticky says it.

Kirkland has a Yeti demo going on I'm gonna try to get a 66 for the day but they aren't open yet They are probably filled up by now but it'll be worth the drive for a free rental. If I get that I'll just be riding Sat.

Hopefully, I'll get a couple takers for showing me around...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    If your riding Friday, I'd highly recommend Tiger too! I was up there yesterday and it is the best I have seen it in years. The rain on friday really help with the dust, but wasnt enough to make it muddy or anything. It was so good I considered blowing off my faimily plans and doing another lap!

Tiger is pretty busy, so even if your solo it is easy to join up with someone in the lot. I've met a lot of people that way.
    Hey Guys, Sorry for the bump. I'm heading back up for Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens on August 17th and gonna ride at least one day. Wanted to put some of the relevant info at the bottom of the thread so it's easier to find. I'll start a new thread shortly to see if anyone's riding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2