Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Seasonal Trails on East Tiger Mountain Opening Thursday, April 4th!

Great news for all Seattle area riders...

The seasonal east Tiger Mtn State Forest mtn bike trail system will be open to ride (or hike, or walk, or people watch, or…) this Thursday morning April 4th.

The fine folks at DNR tried to get it open in time for the sunny weather last weekend, but downed trees, blocked drainages and lingering snow forced them to delay a few more days.

If you head up there to ride, please be aware that…

• Early season trail conditions exist
    • Short term temporary trail closures may (or may not) occur this summer, due to a thinning timber sale
    • Volunteers are needed to help us (that's Evergreen - and DNR) build new trails on east Tiger. Please go here to learn more and sign up for trail work parties Evergreen MTB Calendar

Happy riding!

Stacy
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone want to guess just how crowded the parking lot will be?

mtbr member
    By the time I get there early in the morning, probably not very yet
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Maybe Borneo...What are we bettin'?? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Anyone want to guess just how crowded the parking lot will be?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hard to say, I won't be anywhere near there to provide visual commentary so I'm at a disadvantage....

I didn't do it
    Bring your discover pass and park in the upper lot 'cause it's going to be packed. But yippee!!! It's open. I'll wait a couple weeks to let the crowds die down a bit though.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Bring your wetsuit for Preston

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Preston is riding better than it has in a long time. No river going down the center of it. Almost August dry and tacky. Summit trail is in great shape. Portions that have you drifting and then hooking up. Great stuff!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Uhm, how would you know that if it's just opening up today??? Or, did you already go out and ride it this morning?

mtbr member
    Sigh, figures that the one day I want to get there early I-90 and I-5 look like parking lots thanks to all the accidents this morning. Hoping I can make it out there later before the rain really picks up.
    Tarekith.com

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Uhm, how would you know that if it's just opening up today??? Or, did you already go out and ride it this morning?
    Trail work party last night on SS. Got the trail ride in beforehand. All legit.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Technically not..... despite whomever told you otherwise.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    So is the DNR breaking its own closure by opening early? All the DNR signs posted clearly indicated the end of the seasonal closure as April 15. I would imagine if they can adjust the date, then they can probably grant exceptions to groups or individuals as well. No worries either way and not worth arguing.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    No worries either way and not worth arguing.
    It may be the case that Borneo has a different opinion as to what is worth arguing about.

Note to self: no kids next week, must try to make work party.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Point was that many that troll by here could have seen it as a flagrant poach from the original posting. Then, that it was okay to ride the trails not actually being worked on. I know Mike and Tyler will allow that as an incentive to get work done but not everyone else randomly going by knows that.... No worries, move along.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Nickn,

DNR does indeed have the power to open or close trails earlier or later in the season, conditions dependent - it's all based on weather forecasts and trail conditions as many of our riding trails up there were built on old RR grades and do a poor job of handling moisture (If you've ever had the dubious pleasure of riding through the "Preston creek" you know what I mean).

Evergreen and our trail volunteers do indeed have special access to some trails so we can build and maintain them. And our Trail Crew Leads regularly work with DNR on access needs so if our guys said one of the volunteers could ride a trail it's all good. In fact, where possible we offer it as a perk of volunteering to come out and build - another good reason to do a little trail work! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    So is the DNR breaking its own closure by opening early? All the DNR signs posted clearly indicated the end of the seasonal closure as April 15. I would imagine if they can adjust the date, then they can probably grant exceptions to groups or individuals as well. No worries either way and not worth arguing.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    No problems Stacy. Realize my original post excluded the work party aspect, which was mentioned Paterson as not to appear to be poaching. Great perk to ride the trails for a work party. Just increases the stoke about what is getting built.

I5Troll
    Just a reminder that the Silent Swamp trail connecting Preston to NW Timber is still under construction and closed. It's going to take several more months... the 2 bridges won't be installed until July. Got word from Tyler and Bryan today that everybody is coming from Preston to ride the new trail. Sorry, going to have to take the road connector for a while longer. Please spread the word. Thanks! And Thanks for the updates, stoke and help on the trail!

mtbr member
    Mike, can you try and push the schedule a bit on the SS trail completion, Borneo needs to work on his DH skillz so he can clean up in the beginner class again this year.

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    Mike, can you try and push the schedule a bit on the SS trail completion, Borneo needs to work on his DH skillz so he can clean up in the beginner class again this year.
    Snap!
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Just roll it......
    Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post

mtbr member
    Just got back from my first ride out there, loads of fun as always (even in the mud and rain). Preston definitely has some water spots, but it's nowhere near as bad as you'd think for this early in the season. Lots of work on that trail it looks like, I loved the way its been tailored to be a little more single track ish now. Like the new berms at the bottom too.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did anyone get out to Tiger today? It's been pretty wet in Seattle for a few days now and I'm wondering about current trail conditions.

mtbr member
    I'm sure if it's anything like it was yesterday, it's wet, muddy and soggy.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Tiger has received over 2" of rain this weekend, so Preston river should be flowing real nice all week!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast